Auralia&Musition-The world's most powerful Ear Training&Music Theory softwares

Discussion in 'Education' started by foster911, Mar 4, 2016.

1. coulomb o

coulomb o Newbie

And yes it doesnt make it a different note. I never said it did. I said the difference is frequency content across the spectrum exists but that for ear training is meaningless because the fundamental will dtill always be loudest

2. duskwings

duskwings Platinum Record

ok, but if u want a pure sine wave u don t need any software, u can simply draw it on a piece of paper,because it remains in the theoretical realm,when it gets out of this realm to reach your ear,the pure sine wave cease to exist

3. coulomb o

coulomb o Newbie

Thats not true. Software can generate it. Do you think a software frequency spectro analyzer is biased?

4. duskwings

it generates it,but when u hear it it s no longer pure,because sound moves through the air and on this air columns from the pc to your ears it creates the overtones

5. foster911

foster911 Guest

6. duskwings

i wonder what this has to do with the fact that somebody that s been looking for every kind of loop hole to skip practice in every aspect of music theory doesn t like the sounds used by ear training software

7. duskwings

So? the purpose of earmaster is to train your ears and brain to recognize and sing notes,not to refine your ears with the best sound libraries

8. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

excellent point Senor... I will henceforth sacrifice literary accuracy for maintaining the mood.. when I am trying to chat
    a girl out of her knickers on Skype... you remind me so much of myself sir.. ( without the encylopedic musical knowledge,
    and incisive insights of course )

and with consistency you are in "feisty" mode today... gotta love a guy with some attitude... and controlled fury...cheers !

I remain impressed with how well @foster911 absorbs it all too ... :rofl:

@foster911 I listened to your file.. is that the sound from EarMaster? I admit I don't use
    that software much.. but the synth sounds like freeware..or crapware vst

your playing is a bit stiff... even as simple as it is...
    how about , instead of approaching all of this so academically....find some songs
    you like .. and learn them from some tutorials on youtube... just copy them
    to get the feel ? or even just look up the chords.. and try to create a flow with them
    as you play...

You can always learn more theory.. and analyze things out the wazoo..
    and you can argue all day about the best way to approach music.. but try to get the feel..
    as, ( well, for me ) music is about feeling first...
    scales and theory etc are brushes and canvases and frames to paint your tones with and within...
    so there you go for my simple minded approach

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  9. coulomb o

coulomb o Newbie

10. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Oh god..

I swear I've never witnessed this magnitude of confusion with self taught people. It almost seems like you go out of your way to turn things into complicated nonsense that has nothing to do with music.

BTW, that minor second interval was really hard "guessing" (as you say...), I hope I got it right..

11. foster911

foster911 Guest

Yes, you're smart. But I questioned the notes' name without playing them on a keyboard.

I asked it just to say that almost less musical sounds played by notes are not good source of training and also trained people would have trouble in it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2016
  12. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

Can't say the same about you. Always focusing on what doesn't really matter.

13. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

As a matter of fact I did "guess" it was an A and because @kouros was kinda enough to tell you the interval. I also "guessed" that second note was Bb.

But like he said none of that matters. it doesn't matter what we can do, you still can't do either. And instead of learning how, you put yourself in silly scenarios and pose theoretical questions case in point...

You're right. So why are you using them at all? no one's forcing you. just use a generic piano sound when doing ear training. One website i used before was java and MIDI based. So like others have said what matters is learning how to recognize intervals. if you're going to pick silly sounds to train with just to fabricate a meaningless discussion, you have. Well done.

You should spend less time asking hypothetical questions and answer yourself musically. If you want hear how something sounds in regards to ear training, write a song centered around that idea. And i do mean whole songs, complete and thought out. Not the like the "sounds" you have posted previously. That would help your ear more then what you are doing now.

14. foster911

foster911 Guest

No they are D and D#.

According to Auralia:

Absolute or ‘Perfect’ pitch is the ability to hear, identify and label any pitch. It was long considered that absolute pitch was a genetically acquired skill or gift that one would have from birth. More recent studies seem to indicate that absolute pitch is an advanced form of memorisation that can be acquired through careful study, listening and exposure to music.
    Research suggests that an individual has a much greater chance of developing absolute pitch if he/she is exposed to music at a young age, in much a similar way as language skills are developed. There is however, also evidence of adults acquiring absolute pitch at various ages and stages of their musical development.

The Absolute Pitch topic will test your ability to identify individual pitches, and to sing a pitch from memory, also know as pitch recall. Each pitch has it’s own distinct ‘colour’ or ‘flavour’ which makes it distinguishable from the other pitches. Possessors of absolute pitch have a large variety of different visual colours and descriptions that they associate with each pitch. It is important for you to develop your own associations; these could range from 'red', to 'twangy', to 'dark' or 'bright'.

BTW, Fast electronic musics are all around us. Below one is one of them. Could you please employ your ear-training ability and analyze it for me?
    Thanks!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/bk344ujnjbija89/F.mp3

15. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

As far as I am concerned, from now on you can take your questions to Auralia.

16. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

Ah yes. seems i was mistaken.

No. you should if need be.

17. foster911

foster911 Guest

From where? You suggested me to read a harmony book and kouros says don't tackle big books.

18. duskwings

u ve been spending months here trying to understand things u don t know and inventig them when those two things u tried to learn didn t match your learning method.Kouros can say what he wants,the day he wins an oscar or a grammy i ll give him credit and say he s right, for the moment, take a harmony book, and dont read it, study it, it s not the same thing and don t expect to finish the book in a week, it takes years

19. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

That's what you understood? Really?

Harmony

Looks like I have to quit answering you, you keep making up stuff and taking things out of context. Even worse, you've been "quoting me" in more topics with things I haven't said and don't even agree with.

20. duskwings

i copy the first lines :
    Different waveforms sound different. A sine wave sounds different than a square wave, which sounds different than the waveform that comes out of an accordion. All these waves have unique timbres because they have different harmonic content.
    The harmonic content of different instruments is different in the shape of the wave forms ,and they depend on several factors,nonetheless the harmonical subdivision of the overtones generated from a note are the same.The difference of the timbre occurs because ,depending on the instrument, its material, the way the sound is generated,some harmonics r enhanced compared to others,and the wave forms of these harmonics might be triangular, square or whatever u want.Even the overtones generate other overtones of which they are the fundamentals, it s just that they r unhearable to humans

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016