AudioSex Academy (Part I: Mixing)

Discussion in 'AudioSex Academy' started by Catalyst, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

[​IMG]
    The page can take a while to load (~15 seconds) so please be patient, there's a lot of videos.

Dynamics Processors (Quick Tutorials)
    Let's not waste any time and start looking at dynamics processors such as compressors, noise gates and de-essers. We'll also investigate some of the common controls on these devices in order to better understand what they do and how to utilize them with skill. I think beginners will enjoy getting their feet wet in this series of quick tutorials that cover the basics without all the talk. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

4. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Dynamics Processors (More Detailed And With Practical Applications)
    Now we're going to dive deeper in a series of extended tutorials that will cover more of dynamics processors. We'll also look at some practical examples of these devices in use on a mix or elements of a mix. Then we're going to be covering compression techniques such as sidechaining, parallel compression, multiband compression, gating on drums, etc. And if that isn't awesome enough for you we will also be looking into the compression before eq or eq before compression question as well as investigating the difference between compressors and gates.

5. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

I'd also like to add that we also need to investigate further into different types of compressors as each has it's characteristics that can be exploited to your advantage. There are VariableMU, Optical, FET (Field Effect Transistor), VCA (Voltage Controlled Amplifier) and Digital compressors. Through use and experimentation with these classes of processor you will soon hone in on which one is right for the job you're working on at the moment.

6. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

[​IMG]
    Spectral Processors (Quick Tutorials)
    Now that we've gotten our feet wet with dynamics processors let's delve further into our series of quick tutorials by taking a look at spectral processors such as filters, LFOs (no that doesn't stand for Low Flying Object) and equalizers as well as the controls on such units and what they do.

Spectral Processors (More Detailed And With Practical Applications)
    Now let's go a bit deeper into spectral processors as we resume our more extended tutorials where we focus on solidifying our grasp of the topic as well as practical applications. We'll also be investigating the characteristics of sound with such topics as the combination of waveforms, phase, harmonics, envelopes, etc.

7. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

8. PumasNFatLaces

PumasNFatLaces Ultrasonic

Great idea and thanks for the tutorials. Peace.

9. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Glad to do it, thanks for appreciating the effort. I really hope they help you on your musical journey. :mates:

10. muaB

muaB Producer

nice!!! really like the concept of your series that delivers quick information and not much bla bla!

i must say the under 1 minute videos are much fun to watch, straight to the point, no fancy one minute intro, nice look --> A++

11. chippy33

chippy33 Kapellmeister

What a Great Idea. Thanks for your efforts, great resource....

12. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

muaB
    I'm not the kind of person to take credit for someone else's work so I feel that I must clarify that I didn't create the tutorials themselves in case anyone thinks this is the case. I simply have been endlessly hunting the net in an effort to bring AudioSex usable information that can help our members with their productions. All credit so far goes to Wickiemedia for their excellent and succinct tutorial series. They really present practical information in a way that's exciting and fun. We will however be expanding beyond what they offer in order to bring you more quality content in the future. If you didn't think that I made them but you just wanted to thank me, I very much appreciate the gratitude because searching for great tutorials and images to use in the thread is exhausting especially when flash crashes at least about 20 times a minute. :rofl: But really I hate you Adobe. We never seemed to have these issues when Macromedia owned Flash. :no:

chippy33
    Thanks so much mate. I really appreciate the gratitude. Good luck to you in your musical endeavors. :mates:

13. Someone

Someone Noisemaker

Maybe you should add Yeah Dubz Tutorials :rofl:

Believe it or not, his Trap Tutorial is actually quiet helpful :wow:

14. phenomboy

phenomboy Producer

Great job man :wink:

Ps: the pictures (size?) slow down the page loading

15. chippy33

chippy33 Kapellmeister

This should be pinned, to good to be buried in sub forums

16. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Someone
    I'm looking for quality tutorials so it doesn't matter to me where they come from as long as they are helpful.

phenomboy
    Glad you're enjoying it. Yes the loading time is a little upsetting and I think that though the pictures may slow down loading I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the sheer amount of videos on a page. Usually there is more text between entries as people will comment but I was so eager to share with you guys that I flooded AudioSex. :rofl: If you guys would like I have a few solutions to the problem:

1) I can pad the space between the posts with either blank space or "..." going down the page.
    2) I can remove the photos and see if that will greatly reduce loading times.
    3) I can also use quotes and advice from artists and mastering engineers. This will essentially allow for less videos and images per page. I'm interested in how the community would like for me to handle the situation.

chippy
    Thanks so much for the enthusiasm, I already saw to that. Rest assured this will be at the top of the education section. I might even get a separate subsection if this thing really blows up like I think it will. People seem to be enjoying themselves and that makes me happy.

17. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

[​IMG]

18. chippy33

chippy33 Kapellmeister

Glad to see so much positive feedback, you deserve it. Would it be easier to have a thumbnail with a link for video underneath? Would greatly speed load times and not diminish the content

19. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Thanks a lot for your support mate. I'm a little torn because I really like the visual aspect of it and I feel like that's not something you're going to get with a link. The cool thing about this arrangement also is that you can watch some videos while staying on the page, let's say for example if you've already watched some but wanted to just catch some tidbit. I honestly don't think it's too bad but then again I am testing it in Chrome which tends to be a little faster than other browsers. However I am going to run some tests and see what I can do, if I have to I'll remove the images but it would be a shame. I included the images because I wanted to make the experience a little more interesting than just a set of videos. Life tends to be difficult and it's nice to feel like you can come to a place with a real sense of community and taste. It's my way of engaging the mind so people can really feel a part of something and also feel a part of what they've chosen to do which is become a producer. Visualization, you know? I do have several things I'm considering and I think that quotes, techniques, tips and advice from the pros could be cool and since it would all be text that would pad out the media per page. I hope you guys will be patient with me because I have to work in a framework (WordPress) and there are certain things I can't at the moment do. Anything I can do to keep the aesthetics of it but speed loading times I certainly will. If necessary I will at first try putting less images and see if that can give us a boost and I also want to delve into some tools for learning music theory among other subjects such as useful websites and the combination of all these tweaks and extras should make for a better experience with less wait.

20. ghostinthemachine

ghostinthemachine Newbie

Good shite,mate!!! :hug:

21. fritoz

fritoz Ultrasonic

WOW!

Great Idea, man! Always thinking, that crazy Catlayst!

I tip my hat to you, good sir!

Soon audiosex will be charging tuition!!!! If Catalyst is the "Dean of Education" here at Ausiosex University, and Saint is University President, then i think its only fair I get to be the "Dean of Girls Locker Rooms"

;)

About the page loading slow, im using firefox with noscript so the youtube vids dont load up auto for me, so the page still loads fast for me..i can choose which video i want to watch, which is nice!

my only suggestion is to make the static pictures a bit smaller- they are pretty big as is-

maybe this size would allow the pages to load a bit faster?

|
    |
    |
    V

[​IMG]