AudioGridder vs Vienna Ensemble Pro

Discussion in 'Software' started by tzzsmk, Oct 16, 2020.

1. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

Hey folks, let me start this topic,

those both solutions offer plugin servers to offload your main DAW workstations from being stressed by plugins,
    particularly interesting is also ability to make a crossplatform system, where main DAW can be for ex. MacOS but server Windows (and with AudioGridder, DAW can be also a Linux),
    with uncertain future of Apple and Microsoft adopting ARM, and also rising popularity of Linux, such server bridging may prove useful eventually,

AudioGridder is free, version 1.1 Beta 8 available for Win+Mac+Linux:
    https://audiogridder.com

and Vienna Ensemble Pro 7 DEMO is free for Win+Mac with only limitation of disabled saving:
    https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Vienna_Software_Package/Vienna_Ensemble_PRO

what's your thoughts and experiences with those? are there any other solutions you can recommend?
    :chilling:

3. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

I use VEP, it's a bit of a pain to set up and fiddly, but it makes using lots of Kontakt libs on a laptop (+slave) so much easier. I'll try Audiogridder?

Dafug? In what world are desktop PCs ever going ARM only? Do you mean something liek Surface going ARM only? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I also think ur comparing Apples to oranges >____>

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  4. lasteno

lasteno Producer

AudioGridder is really good ¡
    the option to see the Plugin inside your daw.. is far better than VEP, very fast.. as well works great here

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

and how exactly are plugins treated in DAW projects? I'm slightly more familiar with VEP, where DAW project loads matching VEP instance with all the presets and parameters, and operation is possible realtime but also as offline render
    AudioGridder treats those things different, so I assume the related data are being directly saved in DAW project directly?

6. jtayl711

jtayl711 Newbie

I posted this in another thread so I apologize if this is against the rules but I figured I'd post my question here too. I'm not sure if this is possible with AudioGridder (or any other software) but I want to capture the audio and MIDI on the computer that is hosting the effect and running the DSP? Is this possible? I want one side to host the DSP and capture MIDI and playback audio. I want the other side to display the UI and allow for remote control of the host side. Is this what AudioGridder does?

7. realitybytez

realitybytez Rock Star

curious about the latency

8. chacebl

chacebl Member

AudioGridder is really good ¡
    the option to see the Plugin inside your daw.. is far better than VEP, very fast.. as well works great here
    Still in beta so there are issues but look real promising.

9. Denis R.

Denis R. Newbie

No I've tried AudioGridder, it's not good yet at all. I've downloaded each and every version until the latest but it's not fast at all!
    The latency is awful: 43ms, this is waaayyy too much.
    But I'll wait and see if they can improve that.
    It's promising but it's not there yet.

10. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

VEP here with no issues, the integration with MIR Pro is very helpful for me also. I do however use Logic's newer disable track function these day's, and my newer template of around 500 tracks is also fine. So my VEP box generally just sits running older libs and Spitfire stuff for supporting roles.

11. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

VEP works quite perfectly and is rock stable. That's the main Pro for VEP. It's a bit complicated to install/use (user guide could be better) and costs around $100 per server, while AudioGridder is free. A con for VEP is, it doesn't support VST3 plugins. Why the hell don't they do that?

A Pro for AudioGridder is, it's freeware and it makes use of VST3 plugins.

All in all, AudioGridder has the potential to be the more universal usable Plugin server as @tzzsmk said.
    But it depends mainly on two factors:

- The quality of the programmers contributing to the project.
    - And the dedication of the programmers who work without being paid.

I have my doubts, because there is not as much fame to be gained here as with an OS or a browser. Maybe a shareware concept would be better, there is at least some monetary incentive. I hope that the improvements intervals will not take as long as in other rather small open source projects.

12. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

It's getting done, well... it's on their "to-do list" according to Paul and the Software Dev. I don't use them so it's not an issue for me, but I can understand the frustration of others.

13. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Rock Star

@twoheart
    Yes, donationware is a problem here.
    This kind of software is used by ppl owning several computers.
    So WHY not ask for some money ?
    It is not like users with several computers are so poor they are living in the street :winker:
    10 bucks and roll.

Niche market is always a problem for small projects.
    Niche projects can't work on MASS, like advertisement return and "fame" return.

At the end, most niche projects just disappear.

As an example, a lot of small projects in VERY high speed ANALOG photo triggering (sound, laser ...) were created.
    Like photog a bullet JUST when it goes out the gun.

Most companies disappeared. Because very FEW ppl use those triggers.
    Now, to get what i really NEED, i need to BUILD my own from some obscure schematics (and no PCB) :rofl:

14. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

It is even "... still high on the list" according to Paul. But nothing happens for many months now.

This proves that even with paid software, things do not necessarily move forward at full speed. (with which I falsified my own thesis from above :rofl: )

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List