AUDIOGRIDDER in 2021 : the ultimate post! - load plugins on an external computer!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by kindleman, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Jim Stratos

Jim Stratos Ultrasonic

I searched and deleted all the related files.

2. TheRiddler303

TheRiddler303 Kapellmeister

what plugin format is the better to install? vst2 or vst3? any difference?

3. Peter Gabriel

Peter Gabriel Platinum Record

The most efficient way to use audiogridder with mac master is to use windows on a separate machine - no VM. VM method uses your cpus and ram up. The latency is fine for mixing.
    Help this developer out with bug reports. It's a great project!

4. TheRiddler303

dont have a pc machine available yet. i installed parallels on my macbook yesterday but windows says there is no network adapter installed. i cant pick my wifi in windows or something. is that normal through parallels? never used it before, so sorry for the question.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  5. samzer

samzer Noisemaker

Guys, for your information, I've been trying Neural DSP stuff in my Windows VM, running the vst inside Ableton on MAC, it was almost no latency for recording, which is nice !

6. samzer

samzer Noisemaker

Vst3

7. iBuffalo

iBuffalo Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. iBuffalo

iBuffalo Member

I found out that there are some plugins don't work in VST3 format, for example my Suftube Tape machine. But VST works. So, install VST2 if whenever you could.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  9. iBuffalo

iBuffalo Member

Parallels uses virtual network interface in your MAC OS. I don't know why you use wifi. I have parellels running on my MAC, everything works just fine.

10. iBuffalo

iBuffalo Member

Give the Beta 11 a try. I do notice that the CPU load on my Windows server is lower now.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. iBuffalo

iBuffalo Member

If latency is your concern, try to reduce the block to 1 or even 0. See if it works for you.

12. iBuffalo

iBuffalo Member

Click the "fader" icon on the top right corner, select performance and then monitor.

13. Peter Gabriel

Peter Gabriel Platinum Record

Been testing out the new beta for a couple of hours and the servers seem alot more stable(didn't experience one crash in 2 hours) and the connection couldn't be easier:wink:Mac to windows and Mac to Mac.
    Support this project if you can and keep helping out with the bug reports too. It's really shaping up nicely.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. Dimentagon

Dimentagon Rock Star

I’ve just spent a week installing a new system based around a new Mac Mini M1 (16/500) and a Gen8 i7 intel Nuc (32/500) using the new Beta of Audio Gridder. Both are running the latest versions of Big Sur and Windows 10 Pro respectively. Windows 10 is never connected to the net and is purely set up with my VST instruments, FX’s with Audio Gridder as the host.

I connected them both directly via ethernet however have since included a switch because I want to include my 2016 i7 Macbook Pro in the loop.

Setting Audio gridder up is quite simple despite no information forthcoming. I will say however there are a few traps for nubes. The biggest issue I had was getting my head around the fact that it just simply installs and sits in the system tray with no warning? I didn’t realise this, and it kept saying the port is busy because I was clicking impatiently and inadvertently trying to boot multiple instances. Yes, I’m a dickhead so don’t do this.

I use the Nuc primarily as a VST server to run my Kontakt library on a 4TB USB3 external drive. I installed the latest portable version on Kontakt 6 which saw all my libraries and its working really well. Audio Gridder scanned and saw all my VST and VST3 plugs (both instruments and FX) without any problem.

Next, I installed the Audio Gridder AU, VST and VST3 on the Mac Mini. What a dream Logic saw the AU as did Bitwig and Presonus Studio One 5.

So how did it go? I’m getting 1.5ms delay and it's all pretty stable. Heavey patches on some plug ins get up to 3 ms which is still workable. I’m a "commit" kind of sound design guy so after I’ve done my triggering and processing, I’m creating Audio files that are again getting manipulated and tracked for mixing. Given my workflow, it works really well for me. Is it good for strait triggering from the i7 NUC? In my experience is fantastic and seems to be good on the Intel CPU with a few Kontakt and Omnisphere instances running.

Today I ran the Mac and Nuc through a switch with no disenable difference. It was still reading 1.5ms delay. I’ll run the Macbook up in the network for shits and giggles but to be honest, I’m getting insane performance from Logic on the M1 and its going to get better when Bitwig and Presonus get on board the ARM bus.

Conclusions? I was seriously thinking of buying an Apollo and going down that route. Instead, I decided to buy an Audent and a barebones i7 NUC for distributed processing with Audio gridder. Not only does it give me more flexibility, its way more powerful.

I may make a video soon as there are none on the net.

Take Care.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  15. flush with your foot

flush with your foot Platinum Record

good article, thanks, I'm going to go for it too.....

16. iBuffalo

iBuffalo Member

Nice sharing. I haven't had a chance try M1 yet. Will wait till most of the plugin vendors caught up.

17. samzer

samzer Noisemaker

good news ! ! !

18. samzer

samzer Noisemaker

waiting for this video :)

19. samzer

samzer Noisemaker

do i need to delete anything of Audiogridder before ? (both mac and windows)

20. TheRiddler303

yep, found this out myself. also didnt really like the plugin categories in vst3. vst2 work all stable now