Audio to midi (Drums)

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Ryck, May 8, 2022.

1. Ryck

Ryck Guest

I need to convert drum audio to midi and then edit it, most of them are rock, that is, they have many variations in Fill. (snare drum, bass drum, etc.).
    For this he used various methods.

Ableton, Melodyne, etc

The best ones I found were Cubase's time detector which writes every beat in every bar, and Superior Drummer's with the "Tacker" option.
    I export the midi track with its respective time and then open it in S1. The same if you did it with Cubase. I put detect time, I export the audio as midi, I open it in studio one
    and I get the time in each measure. So far it's going great.
    The problem I have is that, when editing the snare, cymbals, etc. They are not always in the beat.
    For example. I just exported a battery from Starway to Heaven. But instead of starting the kick at bar 1, it starts at bar 1.2 and so it's impossible for me to edit the notes.

Another thing is that sometimes it detects the time but lower. For example, a battery that is at 130 bpm detects it at 65bpm.

I don't know if I can explain.

Does anyone know how this can be done so as not to go crazy? ha ha ha. Or in another way so that I can edit each drum hit in its respective beat tempo?

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

I use Logic Drum Machine Designer to take apart old breakbeats into individual hits, and it works very nicely. Each hit is automatically loaded directly into it's own Q Sampler instance and given it's own audio channel within the Group. It's just like using Recycle old school style, but a majority of the work is automatically done when the sample is first brought in. Your DAW probably has something similar already. Hit detection to midi, and then you have to manually edit the midi.

One thing that can be helpful is a Split At Playhead keyboard shortcut. Then you can very quickly cut, and then drag individual hits to create other audio channels and have each drum separately. You can quickly chop bigger sections (and bpm synced ones), without dropping into an editor window.

Last edited: May 9, 2022
  4. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

How to Convert Drum Recordings to MIDI | Brickwall Sounds

Last edited: May 9, 2022
  5. clone

clone Audiosexual

Is there something faster in only Ableton? It's hitpoint detection, not pitch; so Melodyne is overkill. No?

6. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

yeah, but that's protools.

8. lbnv

lbnv Platinum Record

9. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

If you use Ableton, you can warp the audio to conform to beats and bars at first and then use Live's drum-to-midi feature. That's what I do.

10. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

if you manage to pre-process the drums and split them into individual tracks per drum, Reaper JS Audio to MIDI Drum Trigger works wonders

and also if you want samples to sound any good, that's a completely different topic..

or, you can forget midi and just replace with samples directly:

:chilling:

11. Ryck

Ryck Guest

Thank you all for the responses and contributions. Reaper's is interesting. I'm going to see it carefully.

My problem is not in passing the loops to midi. My problem is that when I pass them, they stay at different times and the Kick runs (for example) out of time. For example.
    I pass the midi through the Toontrack tracker and when I export it in midi, it marks it for me at each beat, 1beat 65 bmp. 2 times 65.7m, etc.
    But throughout the song the kick slips and the whole drums go out of phase, just like the snare.
    So I had to do everything by hand note by note. Because I went crazy haha.