Audio sample key transposing calculator

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by i0nzzz, Jul 22, 2019.

1. i0nzzz

i0nzzz Noisemaker

I'm seeking a calculator which can detect or allow you manually input the original key of an audio sample then allow you to select a new key in which you wish to transpose it to. For example if I have a vocal track in F# and want to transpose it to Emin within Ableton, I would like to be able to quickly convert this to how many semitones up/down are needed to reach the desired key.

I know Autotune/Key along with EFX+ would make this easy but I'm sure an alternative, more simplified version exists whether it's something within the DAW or and online calculator. I'd prefer it to be a plugin but I'm open to an online calculator as well.

I know how to manually calcualte this by counting the steps etc. but I hope to speed up my workflow a bit by being able to quickly change the key by adjusting the semitones within Abletons Sample Transpose section.

Any tips or input is greatly appreciated.

3. i0nzzz

i0nzzz Noisemaker

For vocals I've used the key correction feature within Nectar 3, although I don't know how accurate it actually is and I've noticed it tends to suck up CPU with multiple instances of it open. So a CPU friendly or online conversion would work best.

4. GammaStar

GammaStar Platinum Record

Scal 5 by Exp Digital

5. i0nzzz

i0nzzz Noisemaker

Wow thanks! This is actually an incredibly useful tool. I can see the note frequency section at the bottom. When transposing semitones up or down, how would I translate the desired keys frequency displayed to semitones or cents? I've watched a tutorial on YT with a guy adjusting the key/root note by using Pro-Q 3 to find the frequency followed by a separate feature within Logic to correct it. I've used Logic for several years prior to switching over to Ableton and if I remember correct, Logic was much easier at getting everything within the correct key opposed to Ableton.

Please forgive me in advance if what I'm asking isn't coming across clear. I'm seeking a feature which analyzes the key and allows you to input the key which you change it to. Regardless of it actually doing the work or not, I would like it to provide the number within semitones and or cents which are needed. SCal 5 definitely gives me a solid idea based on frequency but I'm unsure how to translate that frequency to st within the Ableton Sample window to correct it without actually counting it out.

To try and simplify what I'm asking for is an application which I input Cmin transposed to D#/Eb which would be 3 semitones correct? So if I could input Cmin as the root and then input D# as the desired key, I would get a calculation which displays 3 semitones. I'm not sure if what I'm asking for exists. Finding the key isn't the problem, I'm more or less hoping to change the key by inputing the original/post transposed key and get a result that lists how many st +/- are needed in order to achieve the desired/post result

6. i0nzzz

i0nzzz Noisemaker

Okay I found a second conversion chart which gives me a reading based on the frequencies associated within the keys selected in SCal 5.
    It lists D1-F#1 which states 3.621 or 362.10 cents are needed to transpose it to that key. I would like to eliminate the frequency aspect if possible and either have it direct the original value and allow me to input the new which gives the same result within st/ct.

I don't want to overcomplicate this but I truly believe something exists other than Autotune/Autokey, which is more simplified and gives you a calculation minus the automatic correction aspect which Autotune provides. I can manually adjust it within Ableton, that's not an issue

Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 10.42.37 PM.png