Audio Quantization

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Rasputin, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Rasputin

Rasputin Platinum Record

Clearly MIDI quantization can be done on just about any sequencer from '85 on, but audio quantization is a bit more tricky.

Newer tools like Reason 7, Celemony Melodyne, and SyncroArts Revoice can do this with varying results, but what do you prefer? What brings the magic?

3. Mundano

Mundano Audiosexual

only when i am mixing percussion and drum tracks with sequencer beats and so on, arpegiators, etc

4. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Each DAW has it's own way of handling this with varying results due to settings and the source material.
    Studio One 3.2 has various options for this including aligning audio to the click track.

5. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    I guess it's not about which tool you use. The trick is to avoid doing it automatically. You could start with the auto mode and them check the result manually to make sure things sound the way they should. Automated quantization of audio rarely offers expected results. Apart from the time-align algorhythm, the slice-up tools, and the acid format recognition, there's groove quantization, which allows you to copy the transient shape of an audio to another. Unfortunately there's no cookie-cutter answer because every DAW will work differently, with varying difficulty and workflow. If you use Pro Tools, I could walk you through it. Lastly, there's one more variable to add: phasing. Quantizing audio might throw your tracks out of phase, and the only way to know is to use your ears. Midi is pretty straightforward in that regard, as the synth you use will always be in phase.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  6. Rasputin

Rasputin Platinum Record

I don't need to know how to do it, or the context in which to do it. I was just wondering if anyone had any particularly stellar results with any specific tool or any strong favorites. Pure curiosity.