Audio problems with PC

Discussion in 'PC' started by ArtVandalay7, Jan 28, 2021.

1. ArtVandalay7

ArtVandalay7 Newbie

Hopefully, somebody can help me because I have tried everything I can to fix this problem. I have an Arturia keylab mkII MIDI keyboard and use a HP hp envy m4 laptop with an i7 processor. With bigger files (especially multis on the included Arturia software), I am experiencing constant cracks, pops, dropouts, and even a shrill harsh screeching sound that sometimes remains over the top of the multi, patch, etc. necessitating switching to another patch or exiting the application. This is happening with other apps with large files such as Keyscape and Omnisphere as well. All of this is despite recently upgrading to 16MB of RAM (which hasn't seemed to make any difference whatsoever), increasing the SSD capacity to 1TB, and trying a variety of audio device types (including Windows Audio, ASIO4All and Apogee One ASIO), a variety of output devices (including an Apogee One as well as the computer soundcard), and trying every different buffer size I can (again, with little to no difference, only usually making things worse). What in the world is the problem? I am feeding everything into a power mixer but I don't think that should be a problem. Is there some kind of connection that I am missing or is something not hooked up correctly? Anybody that can help with this, I would be forever in your debt. Thanks!

3. MetaCastle

MetaCastle Guest

Do you have the proper/latest drivers for you device? win10 auto update can screw things (im assuming you are using win10)

4. altair033

altair033 Ultrasonic

Disable windows update and reinstall drivers from manufacturer websites. The latest w10 is a mess. Same happening here, although I think it could be the Realtek drivers which are really really crappy.

5. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

This would seem like the CPU isn't keeping up (have you tried increasing the latency?) or the already told driver problems. In case lighter VSTIs still have those sound problems I would put my money on the drivers, but if you tried different sound interfaces I'm not sure. Most def check your Midi keyboard official drivers.

FWIW I'm using Windows 20H2 v19042.685 on a tower PC and I don't have these problems with the crappy integrated Realtek (using ASIO4ALL and sometimes Windows WASAPI). Not that I don't have some minor problems but very far from yours.
    Still it's always a good idea to stop Windows Updates. Almost a necessity especially with the newer versions. Do use a firewall tough.

6. powerplay

powerplay Ultrasonic

7. Rainblow

Rainblow Noisemaker

Settings->System->About->Advanced System settings->Performance settings->Advanced
    Adjust for best performance->Background services

Disable all windows background apps in Privacy.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  8. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

Also, exclude any trusted folders from your virus scanner.
    Some people turn off virus scanner altogether, and you could do that for testing, even if you don't want to leave it off.
    You don't want Antivirus scanning anything while you use the DAW, really.
    Over time I have excluded most folders except the ones that deal with the outside world .. I still like to have AV running, just in case.. but i have not had problems using ASIO4ALL or my interface drivers.
    FL Studio drivers cause ME problems though (terrible crackling eventually building to chaos of noise).

9. joem

joem Producer

if you have steam go to device manager and remove the steam streaming devices thats what was doing it forme recentally.

10. zero-frag

zero-frag Producer

It might be related to DPC latency too. I posted a sort of guide on the forum a while back on certain steps you can take to decrease it.

I'd advice you to try some of the steps listed and try to run a "clean" windows and see if it changes anything (no internet, close everything including antivirus, etc.).

Also, you're using an SSD but you say you have a laptop. Is it external? If so, is the port at least USB 3.0? Have you tried different ports? It might just be your USB port being shit and not being able to keep up with the bandwidth

11. Rainblow

Rainblow Noisemaker

12. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

does this mean you sometimes can handle normal size song projects with multiple vsts, but certain heavier vsts cause the problem?
    if so, it would limit the scope of the problem and at least give some guidance

13. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  14. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

These people seem to be adding more and more very neat system utilities. Props to them

15. ArtVandalay7

ArtVandalay7 Newbie

Running LatencyMon indicates "your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts"...yes, "lighter" instruments such as Fender Rhodes, etc. tend to be fine. It's the bigger files (acoustic pianos, multis, etc.) that cause the popping, dropouts, and shrill tones. Would an audio interface possibly eliminate this problem?

16. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

What do you use for audio now?

The generic Steinberg ASIO driver might help, or ASIO4All. Then try out different buffer sizes and so on.

17. ArtVandalay7

ArtVandalay7 Newbie

I have used either ASIO driver for Apogee One or ASIO4All. Different buffer sizes don't fix the problem.

18. samsum

samsum Kapellmeister

After running LatencyMon as mentioned above I always found it was my network adaptor/wireless WI-Fri so try disable that or whatever you use for internet before working on audio production. Are you using the internal built in audio too? an external audio interface would make a big difference