Audio PC build (July '18)

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by JudoLudo, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Kinda, sorta...but a Radar from IZ might fit the bill as an all in one solution if one is running Protools. For like €10,000 you have maybe the "best of" solution. It is preeeety amazing.

http://www.izcorp.com/products/radar/

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2018
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. ddoctor

ddoctor Kapellmeister

Where is Von Steyr to tell us the truth!!??

3. traumaticholler

traumaticholler Newbie

if you write midi with vsti's and keyboards/sound modules like me when you make music i suggest you go with the intel cpu not amd. an i7 cpu will be perfect, no need to gpu you can use mainboard's dvi, i suggest any asus mainboard. 16 or 32 gb of ram would be enough for everything. also you can think about phanteks or thermaltake cases (phanteks pro is very good). also rme audio cards/usb/thubderbolt products is good if you have enough money and never hear crackling sound or audible latency.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  4. ddoctor

ddoctor Kapellmeister

If you really want to save money and use team air's cubase 5.1 than don't even think about i7 because hyperthreading is bad for any cubase before v7 !!! Kidding aside (except that I wasn't - I use the above mentioned software (among others) and i5-3570 is perfect with it!) it is still the same case as before only less obvious - intel has better single core perf and even better communication with memory (amd cpus have still not hit the 2000 memory mark in passmark even with ddr4 while my ddr3 has no problems going over 2300!). Here's an interesting story - when I first switched from amd (fx-6100) to intel (i3-3240!) i was getting bsod every so often - I planned to reclaim the cpu or mb for being defective - but it was saturday and I had to wait till monday to be able to send it back; in the meanwhile I googled and found the answer - the memory was overheating! That is why all mb manuals always advise you to use top blow coolers because they not only cool the cpu but vrm and ram as well, but I only had a side blow cooler and not much ventilation in my case! So I installed a primitive cooler for the ram and voila - to this day everything is working fine! HERE'S A PHOTO IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE IT!
    [​IMG]

• List
  5. ddoctor

ddoctor Kapellmeister

BTW - same memory with fx or phenom cpus had up to 1300 points in passmark and up to 2600 with intel ivy bridge cpus! BUT LATENCY WAS THE MOST SHOCKING - 60-70ns with AMD and 23ns WITH INTEL!!!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    • List
  6. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

thanks guys, is there anyone who could answer to this question?

thank you!

7. ddoctor

ddoctor Kapellmeister

Yes you can always use less frequency but it depends on the cpu as well - check the cpu official page to see.

8. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

That is one bad example and a bad comp case reminiscent of the Pentium era, like this: :rofl:
    oldpc.png
    It's small and crammed, you have no cable management inside it whatsoever and most likely there is no airflow from the intake, if there is one i cannot tell from the photo. Given that your ram overheated, no air was travelling from front to back inside the case and the ambient temperature in the case must have been over 50 degrees Celcius.
    Err... where lol? They don't. It's different to suggest one thing and to tell you its mandatory. Any mobo is designed to have adequate cooling for the vrm and ram, given that inside your comp box there is adequate airflow. If you mean to use the worst possible case for that i5, who's to blame mate. Btw, how is that cpu cooled really, you 've moved the fan in a 45 degree angle to cool the ram ? Ever heard of ram coolers, like this?
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835236002
    But most likely you did, you just found a "solution" and left it there. If the cpu is any less than 85-90 degrees Celcius in full load it will be a miracle.
    What does this even mean ... It is not a matter of cpu but the B360 chipset's limitation to use only the freqs supported officially by the Cofee Lake series which is 2133, 2400 and 2666 mhz.
    Your question has been answered earlier but in any case...
    If you put 3000mhz ram stick(s) on that B360 it will work at 2666 since that mobo doesn't support higher freqs. Rule of thumb is you don't buy a Porsche engine (8700k) to put it in a Yugo chassis (B360)... The B chipsets are oriented towards office comps and the cheapest builds, you'll be crippling that fine cpu lol. It makes no sense for a 30-40 dlrs difference.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  9. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

ok, thank you. is there any difference in different RAM speed for audio production? I cannot find any article on the web that writes about RAM speed in audio production

10. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Not really, unless you move from 2133mhz to 4000mhz where you may find some difference in really large transfers/renders and huge projects etc., which i doubt you 'll be doing. Yes such memory (and even up to 4600mhz lol) is available but not worth the money you 'll pay. Plus for audio production the most significant factor in ram after the quantity (that is how much ram you put in your machine,just to be clear) is Cas Latency (CL). CL in simple words is the time in clock cycles that passes from the moment an instruction is given by the cpu until the data is ready in ram to be executed. In the DAW world it is crucial to many things, for example how fast will your plugs load (which of course is also disk depended as well, since plugs are stored in hdd/ssd and loaded in ram and running from the cpu).
    For instance, this ram with CL15 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231892 , will be more responsive than this ram with CL18 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226842. Plus the gain from 2666 to 3000mhz is insignificant. So if you have to choose between a fast 2666 and a slower 3000 by all means you should choose the 2666. Now this ram with CL16 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820225088 , should be better than the 2666 i posted in this example. It is almost +1000mhz and only 1 clock cycle slower. But look at the price, it's about 50% more expensive.
    So to sum it, when you don't know much, always follow the middle path. I gave you which parameters to look at. The good balance between Price and Performance ensures a good buy.
    Cheers :)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  11. saltwater

saltwater Guest

no, doesn't matter

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

wow nice. this is a great explanation.

I've got these:

- Corsair Vengeance LPX 2133MHz CL13 (timing: 13-15-15-28; 1.2V)
    - Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz CL15 (timing: 15-17-17-35; 1.35V)

which one would you chose, just out of curiosity? or is the difference so minimal...

13. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Thank you for your kind remark :). As i explained earlier, the Coffee Lake chipset supports 2133,2400,2666mhz natively. So, 2666mhz should be the lowest "ceiling" you'd be looking for. *Just a note here, the system would work fine with the 2133, but the CPU would be slightly underperforming and in heavy and/or longer tasks the difference will be even bigger.* From the two Corsair chips you mentioned i'd choose the 3000mhz of course. At CL15, it's close to perfect for your cpu, i'd give it a 9 out of 10 hehehe. The very best in terms of bandwidth vs CL would be a 2666 CL14 or even CL13, but these would be typically more expensive than your LPX3000 CL15.
    Another note here, if you 're planning to use large Kontakt instruments you should be looking for 32gb ram. If not, 16gb (2x8) would be just fine. Just keep in mind if you 'll be using 16 or 32gb, do not use up all 4 slots (Z series mobos come with 4 ram slots typically). That is if you are going for 16gb ram don't put 4x4gb but put 2x8gb so you leave room for future expansion which in the case of 4x4 ram sticks would make those sticks obsolete if and when you wanna upgrade.
    Finally and for the friends who might be reading this, this page explains quite simply how ram latency works: http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/memory-performance-speed-latency
    Cheers :)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  14. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

ok... so the thing is I can't use 3000MHz RAM with intel 8xxx? why does 4600MHZ RAM exist? what should I buy (CPU or MOBO) to fully use 3000MHz of this RAM?

also I'm wondering about a solution for MoBo with few USB ports. I'd need 6 or more ports...

I'm curious about this, I'm learning so many things

thank you

15. Oops...in Workstation Mode you can, I believe, install the DAW of your choice.

16. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

@JudoLudo
    First of all what i said in the very begining is you should wait. In a matter of 2-4 weeks the new Intel mobos are coming out. This means the already existing ones will fall in price at least 20%. So you will have a larger variety of mobos (and perhaps cpus) to choose from. Do not make a decision you will regret later hehe... you don't know where to look or don't believe me ? Here:
    https://pcgamesn.com/asus-intel-z390-motherboards
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/13135/more-details-on-intels-z390-chipset-exposed
    If you still cannot wait, just tell me so and i will propose you a full pc config.

What i said is, you should choose the Corsair 3000mhz from the two you posted. I thought i was clear lol.
    For the same reason Ferraris exist, speed is never enough bro :winker:
    Every decent mobo has more than 10 usb ports,some ready in the back and some internal to connect to the case's front usb ports. Mid towers usually have 2 front usb ports. Full towers usually have 4 front usb ports. For a variety of reasons I do recommend a full tower if you have the space to put it in.

17. ddoctor

ddoctor Kapellmeister

For what it's worth - you are wrong and again wrong. The big exhaust fan is connected as the cpu cooler and the ram fan is connected as system - which is perfect and temps never go above 60 celsius on 100 percent load and I use integrated graphics! And who cares how it looks!? - the intake fan is on the side that was opened.

18. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Sure... First of all when ram is overheating there's a few possibilities, either the ram is faulty, the mobo's ram slot is faulty or for reasons users can check in their mobo bios, the mobo is sending the wrong voltage to the ram slots, thus overheating the ram sticks. I'd make a wild guess and say it's the latter.
    Aaahh really, so it cools it from a distance huh ? I gotta admit you have a record here:hahaha:, you switched the exhaust fan to an intake and you named it cpu fan #1, when most likely all it does is preventing the cooler from totally overheating. Also it is most possible your "ram fan" is cooling the cpu better than what you use as "cpu fan".
    It is 99.999% certain that what ever fan was on the removed side panel was an exhaust fan not an intake, just because a lot of old pc cases used a fan on the side panel to exhaust heat from the gpu. Any side panel fan intake is definitely no no for manufacturers as it would cause negative airflow in any normal pc case scenario.
    Show me a video any kind of video of your pc running Aida64 cpu stress test or Prime95 for no more than 10 mins, along with the cpu temps monitored on the video, and if it passes the test, the whole forum be my witness i will buy you that ram cooler lol, and good luck with that.
    Cheers