Audio + Midi through Lan.

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by MrLyannMusic, Feb 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

Hello everybody, it have been a while since I've really been active here, was like just ghosting arround, reading that writing that but not enough to be called "active"

Some of you might have an idea about the studio I've been trying to build for a quite some time now...
    didn't really advance mush or anything, but finally i got a new computer wish i got for a really good deal, almost 500$ for a whole PC + new AIO Water cooling system, just finished putting everything back together,

took me days and weeks to clean it all, re-pain the case, and install all my old hard drives and most importantly my software wish was a HUGE pain in the ass...

also i have turned my old computer into a Hackintosh that's running last version of Sierra...

now what i'm trying to do, is use my Hackintosh for recording Purposes ONLY, while the PC is for everything else, Producing, mixing, gaming you name it as you know the windows side is brighter that Mac's on Warez World (a Special Thanks for all the Hardworking teams from both scenes... i owe it all to them), anyway,

now almost everything is ready, Hackintosh is fully running with everything i might need, and PC too, what i'm after is how can i send Audio (midi is optional) from my recording Computer the one running Sierra to my PC, i've heard a lot searched too, unfortunately reaPlugins are Windows only wish is sad, but i didn't really find anything that might work, and i apologize if that have been asked in the past and a good solution was found, i might be a bit unlucky there...

i've read somewhere here that someone managed to use the Vienna ensemble released on sister site to do what i'm seeking, but i wasn't really after that at that point...

if you have a really rock-solid solution please share it...

Thank you for your time fellas!

3. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Vienna Ensemble Pro paid version. I have it. Some plug-ins will introduce a big latency and VEP system has some quirks but once you get over them it works. The big advantage is that you can also distribute the load (kontakt librarier, multiple omnisphere or heavy u-he Diva instances) over your two computers and VE Pro system is really good at remembering projects.

I don't know of another solution, since I purchased VE Pro never had to search for a different one. You'll need just one eLiecnser key on the slave computer.

4. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

there is no other way ? as it is impossible to me to buy stuff off the internet (bad country)...

5. Rasputin

Rasputin Platinum Record

CopperLAN?

6. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

VEP do not need internet, just a personal one, If you only use 2 computer one lans you need only the cable.
    If dont, buy an internet an ethernet hub and cables.
    I have 3 to 6 running OK, all pc vsts in my OSX (you not need a crack for the hoster)
    With the free microsoft Desktop Remoto you do not need another mouse or keyboard... with 4 monitors (with 58 4k) I am happy
    VEP is THE BEST!

7. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Vienna products are on sale also as physical DVD packages. You can try a local music store (or a online music store in your country) to import it for you and also the eLicenser key.

You will only need to make an account on VSL.co.at website, register your dvd code, download the software and keys and you're good to go.
    You will receive 3 Vienna Ensemble Pro licenses and one Vienna Instrument (bonus) license (orchestral pack). You can safely download all your licenses to a single eLicenser stick then if you'll ever need more computers you can buy new eLicenser and drag & drop licenses from the first eL. Or I think you can download and use just a single VEP license and leave the other two unused - in case you lose your stick, you have licenses to spare. I never lost/damaged my sticks, just sayin.

8. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

so basically there is no other way "free" but to get Vienna ?

9. Spirit

Spirit Member

I've just been looking into this as have a laptop I want to use in my studio along with my main iMAc. VEP is the probably the best/professional solution but also quite expensive.

There are other methods... There's an app called Audreio. https://audre.io. It works on mac and windows. You have the audreio plugin running on both your computers (a sender and a receiver) and as long as those computers are networked, either via wifi or LAN, those plugins will automatically find each other and stream between the 2. It costs $25, I'm using it and it works well. (Better over LAN than wifi I find). It is lossless.

I'm not sure what audio interface you have but you can use ADAT to send audio between computers. I have an Audient ID14 which has an ADAT input on my main iMac. I've just ordered something called a usbstreamer B which is basically an ADAT/USB audio interface which costs $100ish which I will hook up to my second mac - which will give me 8 channels of digital audio between the 2.

For midi I am using something called ipmidi. It gives you midi ports over LAN. Very simple to use. Just install it on both computers and you then have those ports available as ins/outs in your DAW. Copperlan is another option. ipmidi is quite expensive for Windows but free for Mac for some reason...

Anyway, hope that helps

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. jaganshi

jaganshi Ultrasonic

Reaper with reamote or reaasio+reastream? I don't know how it works on mac though.

11. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Because of this...

12. beatmagnus

beatmagnus Guest

Vienna Ensemble Pro is a beautiful thing. Bought it 5 years ago and the romance is still strong.

13. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

Why not just share out the main audio folder on the Sienna machine and copy the tracks to the Windows machine? Not very elegant, but free. Both machines would have to be on the same LAN, of course.

14. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

After mLAN is end of life, MADI is the de facto standard for audio transmission in such cases.

15. suefreeman

suefreeman Producer

16. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

rtpMIDI is awesome. I've been using it for all my wireless MIDI connections. It's basically the Windows equivalent of the IAC (network MIDI) drivers on OSX.
    Heads up - use ethernet if you can for your LANs and if you need to go wireless create an ad hoc network specifically for the MIDI data. This brought my latency down to 0 ms for both iPads and both Android devices.

I also used it to sync two instances of Ableton Live on two separate computers. Fun times.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  17. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

i just want to confirm that rtpMIDI is truely awesome

18. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

Been using rtpMidi for over a year now. Sometimes have to re-learn connections, but other than that it's really stable. Using it with TouchDAW for Android as a control surface.