AUDIO MASTERING

Discussion in 'Software' started by music2013, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Gramofon

Gramofon Producer

It matters for the quality, if they have more controls, if they're made for specific tasks etc. But yeah, you have to know how and when to use them (or at least have a good feel for it).

As far as dither is concerned, you can also take a look here:
    http://audiosex.pro/index.php?/topic/14676-dithering-questions/
    http://audiosex.pro/index.php?/topic/14676-dithering-questions/#entry98329

2. m2314

m2314 Member

The problem with mastering is that no one in this topic has explained what mastering actually is... and even once you do peg what it is, advising how to go about it is equally difficult and brings alot of opinion into the mix... even the books written by seasoned mastering engineers basically equate the procedure to audio alchemy or some sort of dark art... In the end pretty much mastering boils down to getting that shit loud without making it sound like shit, while making sure you can play that shit on any shitty system without fucking things up too badly... the tools don't matter, if it gets the job done and the dickheads listening to it like it then do what you feel... truth be told mastering isn't even required anymore, its an antiquated by-product of the LP era which as long as you stay digital won't matter in the slightest... just take a look at the wikipedia page for audio mastering, not a single one of the processes mentioned is something that you need a process separate from mixing to accomplish... and you dont need specialized gear or golden ears to do the shit either, its myths that keep mastering engineers in business... you can do it yourself, with practice and dont let any dipshit tell you otherwise!

3. MaLkGopher

MaLkGopher Newbie

This video it's very useful!! and it really amazed me the way how they use free plugins with really great results!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bah367_iLBg

"Our guide to DIY mastering is all about getting your track ready to test out in the club, preparing your free download or beefing up an edit.

Listen to the A/B of the mastered and unmastered track here: http://soundcloud.com/point-blank/sets/ffl-diy-mastering-tutorial-a-b

Cheers

4. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Thanks a lot. :thumbsup:

5. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ M2314,

Not to be pedant or fussy, but the main question of that Request (as stated by 'MusicTyros5') is : "That plugins recommend me to do an AUDIO MASTERING of a song, so that it remain professional."

Not exactly : "What Mastering Process really is". I think that you can find a few more relevant Articles about that question through the Forum...

It's your point of view and must be respected, by cons, I'm not totally agree with the whole Content of your 'quoted' Comment (mainly this in 'Bold').

For you, I found a more than impressive List of well-known and more than renowned Artists worldwide that, although can think as you that the 'Mastering Process' of their works can be done by themselves, prefer to let that 'Dark Art' to some 'specialized' people...

'Bob Ludwig' ('Real' Mastering Master or Guru !!! :rofl: )

And don't forget to 'scroll' down all the page to the bottom (his first works started more or less in the end of the 50's). Don't forget too to pay attention at the names of the Artists, it's more than IMPRESSIVE, isn't ? :wow: :bow:
    And you can also find recent tasks/jobs done in the 'Digital Era' as well... *yes*

Don't you think that the fact that some Artists hire the services of that 'Genius' of the 'Mastering' Processes doesn't signify anything that goes far beyond a simple process, or pure 'snobbish' ?

6. relexted

relexted Producer

You CAN master yourself. People saying otherwise just don't understand the process. As a rookie, you do not want to get involved . So, If you can afford it you better send your track to an engineer.
    Having said that..
    My own masters often sound better then the once I get back from labels. (Not everytime) But I usually play my own versions.
    Those master engineers use outboard gear and it tends to give a little more juice.

A loud and accurate master starts with a good and already professional sounding mixdown. Compare your mix with released tracks, (turn down the volume of the comparison material untill it hits the same peaks as your own mix. Now you know what's wrong in your own mix. fix it.

Once you've a mix that can't be better in your ears, then you bounce it in 24bit 44.1kHz

Now open a new project, drag your bounced track in a new track.
    Make sure you have comparison tracks ready.
    Use EQ first, check the peaks. Make it smoother then your mixdown already is. Use meter plugins to SEE what's going on. And use your ears.
    Then a little compression, then some mono/widening processing, use multiple compressors and limiters in the chain, again EQ if needed, step by step, a little by little.

I'm not gonna give it all away. Experiment. When the mix sounds just like your comparison tracks, then it normally is good. (with the right monitoring)

Good luck. Ozone won't make you happy when you have no clue on what you're doing. There is way to much crap music out there, hope this helps.

Point blank is a good company! Check that vid