Audio Interface without possibility of digital usb return option?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Adam R. K., Aug 31, 2019.

1. Adam R. K.

Adam R. K. Noisemaker

Hello!
    I recently equipped myself with focusrite scarlett 18i8 audio interface for use with pro tools. But there is one important aspect i seem to be failing to achieve.
    1. The interface is set up as the default playback device for pro tools:
    a) playback engine section
    [​IMG]
    b) input section
    [​IMG]
    c) output section
    [​IMG].
    2. Pro tools sends the digital sound data (i assume so - correct me if i'm wrong) - through channels 1 and 2 selected in pro tools i/o setup, through the usb somehow into the interface which then converts it into analog and sends it to my headphones (which are plugged into the interface ofcourse).
    a) Routing for headphone physical out
    [​IMG].
    On the screen above ignore the "hardware inputs" section as it's my microphone plugged into the interface.
    Hardware inputs and software playback here is essentially what you hear in your headphones (selected on the left)
    b) Routing for monitor outputs on the interface also knows as line outputs, which i then loop back into my motherboard mini jack line in.
    [​IMG]
    3. Now we arrive at voicemeeter potato. I use this to route various system sounds BUT i also want to be able to use it's extremely handy mp3 recorder to quickly record what im playing in pro tools (vst sample libraries'n improvising stuff). To be able to play system sounds through scarlett i first select scarlett as hardware output A1 like so (annoying image file limit doesnt allow me to attach direct images nomore so i ll add imgur links):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And after that i route for example chrome to output sound into Voicemeeter VAIO (its a virtual audio cable), then select A1 button on it and it sends all chrome audio to be played by scarlett - and surprisingly scarlett plays all the voicemeeter stuff on software playback channels 1-2 and here is question number 1 - HOW to controll this, say i want voicemeeter to play its stuff on scarlett software playback 3-4 instead of 1-2, i can't seem to find any option to select it neither in voicemeeter neither in focusrite control (app from screens) - this issue isn't that important but still its bugging me. Image showing all voicemeeter routing playing back through scarlett software playback 1-2:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next to be able to record pro tools output with voicemeeter i select previously described line-in routing as hardware input 1 in voicemeeter - but i dont enable A1 send to avoid looping, i just arm the mp3 recorder to liten to that section.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Aaaaaaaand - a boomer. PC Line input is noise as fuck to the point of being completely unusable in mp3 recordings.

So here is my main question - is there any way to either:

a) Connect into the digital usb stream between pro tools and audio interface, split it and direct an additional stream to one of voicemeeter's virtual audio cables also knows as voicemeeter's tracks?

b) Tell scarlett somehow to send the digital audio back through usb as a return but how to select the particular return channel in voicemeeter when the only option i have when selecting hardware input is "MME: Focusrite USB" or WDM: Focusrite USB" etc. without ability to select specific channels?

c) I wanted to avoid neccesity of purchasing external analog to digital recorder and plugging it into interface because 1. money 2. i don't know if i'll be able to connect the recorder via usb directly to pc and assign it a folder to which it would drop all the recorded filesimmediately so i can manage them instantly / rename them (which i do A LOT) - and if you don't know if options a) and b) will work or you're certain they'll fail BUT you know what recording interface to get to obtain result described above - please teach me how.

Sincerely
    Adam R.K.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019

Attached Files: