Audio Interface With Actually Good Drivers? (Windows)

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by vuuru_keg, Mar 17, 2020.

1. alex921

alex921 Producer

2. Torrao

Torrao Platinum Record

I couldn't afford an RME back in the day and I ended up with an Audient ID22. Supper happy with the current v4 drivers. Sounds amazing and I can track guitars at 16 sample buffer with no issues (with my i7 8700k).

3. sinematrix

sinematrix Member

I'm a fan of PreSonus. I have a PreSonus 18|24, and using it for one and half year, it's stable by far.
    DAW: Studio One
    Specs:i7\Win10\ASUSz390-a

Attached Files:

4. Graf

Graf Platinum Record

i agree with focusrite and RME both good bang for the buck, i know theres better out there. i used to have a pci(-e) RME and loved it, though the latency was a bit higher than i expected for pci card. this time i stepped up to a focusrite gen3 and in my opinion the latency is less, but thats also in a newer faster computer. so not a fair comparison. also, i havent run a bench test on the thru speed of the focusrite yet
    edit: im on W10/64, i9 connecting the focusrite usb-c
    edit2: i would say that playing V-drums into SD3 is a pretty good bench test, the audible latency from hitting the pad to sound in my ear is almost nothing. even doing things like press rolls and pedal splashes

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  5. vuuru_keg

vuuru_keg Platinum Record

tbh i dont really care about latency, actually not at all, most interfaces theses days provide latency that im perfectly fine with, what i want is stable drivers that doesnt have sample rate and buffer issues or dropouts like im experiencing with my Komplete Audio 6 MK2 (i came over from mac to windows and i didnt realize the importance of good drivers, DO NOT BUY THE KA 6)
    And also need two separate headphones out

6. Lukemusict

Lukemusict Newbie

go for RME babyface pro

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Amirious

Amirious Platinum Record

That interface is gorgeous. :woot:

8. Amirious

Amirious Platinum Record

Focusrite claims that their 3rd Gen has the lowest possible latency for tracking with effects (96K). How much of it was true in your experience?

At times when we're working with a singer or a voice over client, they ask you to throw a reverb or autotune on their direct output cause they can't stand their shitty voice (obviously) and since their mind can't grasp the concept of round-trip latency, they complain and complain like we locked a gene in our audio interface and refused to let him out to fulfill their wishes of sounding like Mariah Carey.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  9. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

is there any updated graph around the web? that shows driver performance comparison of the contemporary interfaces.

I'd like to buy RME but I'm half way between babyface (extremely uncomfortable form factor) and Fireface UC (I don't need so many connections, at 800€)

something like a Scarlett 2i4/6i6 but with RME drivers. it would be awesome

10. Amirious

Amirious Platinum Record

I get that not all babies are born pretty and attractive but this one doesn't need to be pretty. It's an audio interface dude!
    IMO that big flat volume knob on top is extremely handy vs a medium size knob on the front of Scarlett.

You're gonna use it so choose the one you like. Just saying that you're not shopping for a tuxedo.
    Usability > form factor

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. thejohndoe

thejohndoe Ultrasonic

There's quite a few to be honest,but none of them have drivers as stable as RME if that's what you are after,but if you are after amazing conversion on the cheap then look for an audio interface that uses Burr Brown chips rather than Cirrus Logic(pretty much every single budget audio interface maker uses these)i've had an Audient ID22 and ID44 which both use Burr Brown and sound good.i am using CraneSong Solaris and Antelope ZenTour mostly now though.wouldn't recommend Antelope though because their drivers and firmware is shockingly bad,but the conversion?its something to behold

The older UAD sounds absolutely amazing as well.the 2192,not the Apollos which are overpriced IMO where the conversion is concerned.if you are after something extremely vibey then nothing fits that criteria more than the Burl B2 Bomber.i had one for a while but its actually too much colour for what i needed(it has multiple transformers in the signal path)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  12. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

I didn't explained myself clearly, I'll try again:

speaking of form factor I didn't mean aesthetics, but I meant usability itself, as you said. my setup in the studio is such that a babyface would be extremely unconfortable (not ugly), because of the form and the position of the connectors. not to talk about the breakout cable, that adds troubles to the setup - I think the babyface is for a travelling musician who needs expandability from time to time, more than a (home) studio.

this is my point of view, just to clarify things :)

13. Amirious

Amirious Platinum Record

@JudoLudo I see. Perhaps Steinberg or Focusrite is more suited for your setup then.

14. Amirious

Amirious Platinum Record

Also check out Zoom U-24/U-44 series. Almost the entire connectivity is accessible on the top panel and it's more portable than other choices. It can be powered with AAA batteries.

15. ThrashHead

ThrashHead Platinum Record

RME

Presonus 2nd. Even their older interfaces are great.

You'll find this site helpful: http://www.dawbench.com

16. vuuru_keg

vuuru_keg Platinum Record

anyone has any experience with the SPL Crimson 3? (on windows 10)

17. GammaStar

GammaStar Platinum Record

Me ol faithful e-mu 1010 & 0404 (w10-1903) Stable nuff 4me (takes lots abuse) :wink:

18. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

problem with presonus and focusrite : they have to much monday devices in the under 500 money range...its a little gamble

19. Bump

Bump Kapellmeister

I use a Roland Rubix 24 (for the loopback so I can sample stuff from the web or mp3 with Maschine)

I use WASAPI and track vocals and synths with no issues whatsoever..

20. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

theiy have better quality than the new ones in the end , i bet