Audio interface master-slave clock question

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Zenarcist, Jun 11, 2024.

1. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

For those who are cleverer than me, is this doable or not?

Device 1 (master) spdif coax out --> Audio Interface 1 (slave) spdif coax in / spdif digital out --> Audio Interface 2 (slave) spdif digital in --> PC DAW

Last edited: Jun 11, 2024
  3. Semarus

Semarus Producer

ADAT can send both clock and audio so it should be fine.

4. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I'm not sure it will answer your question, as I'm sure it is specifically the Audio interface 2 element that you are wanting to know specifically, but I have mine set up like this with MOTU 828 MkII (Master) --ADAT OUT--> Audient ID14 MkII (Slave) --USB C--> PC DAW and runs clock and audio as I use the MOTU to hard wire in my hardware synth to the 8 inputs, which then allows me to disconnect the Audient and take with my laptop if I ever need to without interrupting my workflow or setup. If your Audio interface 1 has both ADAT in and out, then I can't see why it wouldn't work. Take note though that some ADAT devices only operate up to 48kHz at full bandwidth, and are normally halved for 88.2/96kHz, in case that matters. For example, some devices have 2 ADAT in/out that provide 8 channels each (16 in total), meaning 1-8 on ADAT 1 and 9-16 on ADAT 2. However, when going to higher kHz, it drops to 1-4 on ADAT 1 and 5-8 on ADAT 2.