Audio interface - Internal (PCIe) vs External (USB2 or FireWire) ?

Discussion in 'PC' started by Dalmation, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Dalmation

Dalmation Kapellmeister

I'm looking for a multi I/O audio+MIDI interface for my future DAW and gaming PC, for <$500, and comparing the pro's & con's of an internal card or external 'box'.

Most options suitable for me are external boxes connected via USB2 or Firewire.

Technically - I assume that an audio card connected via the internal PCe bus would need minimal resource power from the CPU and be minimal audio latency.

How much extra CPU resource overhead does audio over USB2 (or Firewire) require, to send and receive multi-channel audio over these serial bus protocols?
    And how much more audio latency for it compared with an internal PCIe option?

Thanks.

3. xsze

xsze Guest

Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 *yes*

http://www.dawbench.com/audio-int-lowlatency3.htm

[​IMG]

4. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

It's exactly vice versa - 10 llp is the best rating.

5. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

According RME the diferences between Pcie/usb/fw in terms of system performance are almost nothing in modern i7 machines.
    Pcie is much more spandable for largar systems.
    Usb/fw are easy to move between machines
    Latency is nothing with direct record and internal fx
    Should focus in stability: RME

6. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

it's still quite high up there, best bang for the buck?

7. xsze

xsze Guest

Don't understand, did I said something or anything to contradict that? :dunno:

My personal opinion is that Pro 24 offers good bang for the buck, fits the OP price range, offers overall good performance, preamps and mobility like any other firewire/usb solution. *yes*

Of course it is, it's among much expensive RME and other firewire solutions, everything above that 7 mark is PCIe *yes*

8. usernone

usernone Producer

I'm fairly happy with the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 (newer usb version of the pro 40)

9. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Oh, maybe I missread: I thought your statement was supposed to mean that the pro 24 had the lowest latency... Sorry pal.

10. zero-frag

zero-frag Producer

From on what I read, a lot of people don't like PCIe interfaces because they pick up noise from inside the computer which doesn't happen with usb ones

11. angie

angie Producer

I had this kind of problem with my old creamware pulsar but now the converters of PCIe interfaces are usually on an external box

12. grabme

grabme Kapellmeister

Highly recommend the Roland Capture devices for sound quality, best soundcards I've used.

13. Dalmation

Dalmation Kapellmeister

Without looking at the DAWbench web page, I don't understand the graph :(
    - What is the scale (1-10) measurement units?
    - Which is better - higher number or lower?

14. xsze

xsze Guest

No worries :mates:

That's why I left link so you can dig deep into it, everything explained by the author himself :thumbsup:

15. smartlad

smartlad Member

Can't go wrong with focusrite products imo.. I'm currently using a FireWire saffire card as the usb saffire I had conflicted with using my virus on my Mac... Obviously it depends on your requirements in terms of ins and outs but for your quoted budget, anything in that price bracket is going to do the job so I wouldn't be too put off by benchmark charts and tables.. Don't be afraid of buying 2nd hand either to grab yourself a bargain and save yourself some dosh.

16. xsze

xsze Guest

I would if I could save up, especially because this is the only benchmark that hold any relevance, everything else is just personal opinions and specs. :thumbsup:

17. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

I have had pci:s since mid 90:s and today i use pcie never had those problem
    I also owned a couple of usb:s and one firewire card which b.t.w caused alot of problems and was not stable at all.
    When it comes to latency and performance i choose pci/pcie any day over firewire/usb

I saw i used firewire card for a bargain the other day on a sale site and thought of getting it but then again i rather buy a used rme pcie for the same price

18. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

I have had pci:s since mid 90:s and today i use pcie never had those problem
    I also owned a couple of usb:s and one firewire card which b.t.w caused alot of problems and was not stable at all.
    When it comes to latency and performance i choose pci/pcie any day over firewire/usb

I saw i used firewire card for a bargain the other day on a sale site and thought of getting it but then again i rather buy a used rme pcie for the same price as there is many who have switched to laptop that is selling there pci cards.

19. smartlad

smartlad Member

Oh yeah for sure, you will notice a big difference. I was referring to the context of the op and his quoted budget. In that price range you probably wouldn't notice much difference across the board with all the brands.

Again though it depends on how it will be used but yes double the budget and things will go up another level. :mates:

20. xsze

xsze Guest

Don't understand on what are you responding here? :dunno:

Me too, budget starts from somewhere too, but doesn't need to end on 500 either, so there's middle too *yes*

There's plenty of brands and usb, firewire and PCIe offerings in given price range, so I disagree, you will definitely notice with something over something else. *yes*

Sure, but still you can buy smarter and save up not rendering this benchmark useless :mates:

21. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

I`d go for a PCI/PCI-e one ...had always a good experience and low latency with them on older and new hardware.