Audio interface for outboard gear

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Nimbuss, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Nimbuss

Nimbuss Platinum Record

Hey there everyone

I recently stumbled across some second hand outboard gear and decided I want to incorporate it with my DAW.

I've been looking at the M-Audio M-Track 8 just because it has 8 ins and outs, correct me if i'm wrong but could I could send audio out of eg: Out 3(DAW) -> Hardware EQ -> In 4(DAW)?

Another option would be to use multiple smaller interfaces with FL Studio ASIO but that seems a bit ehh. Also Behringer seem to be hyping up the new UMC1820 which could be pretty good(for the price), i guess.

Any recommendations? PS: my budget max is about $400

Thanks in advance.

3. spacetime

spacetime Platinum Record

keep your eyes open for used interfaces

functionally mostly the same, much smaller price

for more mobility and low latency check out the motu ultralite

4. Hey Nimbus, what outboard gear did you stumble upon beside the EQ that you would like to incorporate with your DAW?

5. nycdl

nycdl Kapellmeister

You can never go wrong with Apogee , the duet series and the like are a very good value .

6. HPF

HPF Kapellmeister

i'd go for expandability, means ADAT interface for optional connectivity. if you start integrating external stuff via analog audio i/o - 8/8 wont suffice. The UMC1820 looks promising, not sure how well USB2.0 handles the bandwidth if you use too many channels at once - i'd just order it for testing and return if it doesnt behave. Its price is a no brainer.
    alternatives: Behringer FCA1616 (FW/USB2.0 combo), Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 / Liquid (FW), Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 (USB2.0)

btw: USB Class Compliant devices will do its basic tasks on most operating systems without drivers, even on mobile os (its a nice thing if you consider using it with your tablet)

7. Nimbuss

Nimbuss Platinum Record

Thanks for the advice everyone,
    It's not an EQ but a VCA compressor, the Symetrix 525, figured I could use something to do parallel compression with. Sadly the left channel's LED's don't respond to Gain reduction anymore, but they light up when the Expander/gate is in use :dunno:. Got to test it on a acoustic yesterday, sounds smooth with -3db gr and super crushed on high ratios.
    I thought about this one, I'm just worried it gives up on me too soon, i'm waiting for reviews on the UMC1820 though

8. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I am currently going through a similar process and I went for a MOTU 828 Mk2. I picked one up for £80, which was a bargain, and they usually go for about £150-200. With your budget you could probably pick up the newer Mk3. They have a main out pair, a pair of dedicated sends and then have an additional balanced analogue 8 in and 8 outs. You can also hook up other interface via ADAT to it to expand your ins and outs too. However, I invested in a couple of patchbays and am in the process of setting them up so I can revise my outboard gear in whatever way I want.

9. A3C

A3C Kapellmeister

M-Audio AD converters sound so bad it's better using plugins instead of analog gear.
    Spend your money on converters (or a good quality sound card), THEN buy outboard.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. relexted

relexted Producer

I would get a second hand RME Fireface in your situation.

11. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

Those Symetrix comps are very nice. I was lucky enough to own one of the earlier models with Valley People VCAs.

12. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

My PreSonus 1818vsl is in my rack, which is also a flight case. I use it in my home studio, and I use it for my live gigs. I like it and it works and so far it seems road worthy.

13. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

I agree with the users saying to invest in a high quality ADDA or soundcard, but if you do decide to spend your $400 on a prosumer soundcard, make sure that it has A.) Excellent drivers, and B.) 1 or 2 sets of ADAT in and outs (preferably 2), so that when you upgrade to better converters, you can hook them up there, C.) Word clock in/out