Audio distortion/degradation problem...help!

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by funlovingfool, Feb 15, 2012.

1. funlovingfool

funlovingfool Newbie

Hi all. For some reason my audio signal seems distorted now, and the stereo field degraded. The only changes I have done is add a new monitor, and install the most recent version of Korg Legacy Bundle. It almost sounds like the signal is too hot, but all my meters indicate otherwise. It's there even on lower volumes. I notice it when playing vst's and mp3's using different programs, so its not my host(cakewalk). It's not overwhelming but I do notice a difference. I've tried without the monitor and that didn't help. I even thought I might be getting some emf bleeding through from the power cables to the audio cables. But that theory is hard to rule out due to my setup. I am starting to think it had something to do with the Korg Legacy app I installed. I've run out of ideas, so I'm open to any advice or suggestions. Thanks

Btw....I'm using an M-Audio Delta 192 internal card, and Mackie VLZ3 Mixer, running Windows XP sp3. And it sounds the same both through my monitors and headphones.

3. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

are you on a pc or mac and you mite check your computers internal volume or your interface volume it turned up to high

4. funlovingfool

funlovingfool Newbie

I'm using a PC running XP sp3. Already checked all sound levels. Everything is in the green. It's like some type of harmonic distortion. Noticeable on higher and lower frequencies than midrange. I haven't changed any configurations or settings. I had Korg Legacy time bomb on me so I installed the latest release. And I consolidated some cables together with velcro straps to make my setup more organized.

5. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

back up any newer files and software and restore your computer to a time before the problem started. Check audio there, then re-install stuff and check audio at each step. I don't know much about pewters, but locating audio problems is still a similar process. Start where you know it works at beginning of of chain and work forward one step at a time until you find the problem. In real world audio, 19 times out of 20 it's a cable. In the virtual studio, my problem solving skills are less guided by experience but it is still a process of step by step elimination.

6. zalbadar

zalbadar Ultrasonic

This is only from personal exsperene but distortion most the time is incompatible drivers with softwear.
    However for you it might just be your cables, as I have had when useing phono cables, the output signal trasfer across to the input.

Try seperating your cables
    phono cables rarely have shielding so don't pair them up to close