Audified u73b high frequency rolloff?

Discussion in 'Software' started by lpu2n, Dec 29, 2015.

Tags:
  1. lpu2n

lpu2n Producer

I've been messing around with this compressor, putting it on the mixbuss and drums, and it really does sound nice. The problem is - it has a very unsubtle high frequency rolloff. No - not the highpass filter that can be turned off. It's the high end that frankly completely loses its shimmer and clarity. I don't know if this is a feature of the original unit, a bug, or am I doing something wrong? I've never experienced this with any other compressor. Like, it's practically unusable for the master buss from my perspective. Really unfortunate cause otherwise it sounds great.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  3. focusrite

focusrite Platinum Record

Not used it yet but this guy has:

Wasn't there a thread on GS complaining about low end loss?

4. focusrite

5. lpu2n

lpu2n Producer

6. focusrite

7. returnal

returnal Rock Star

I'm pretty sure they made the modeled low-end roll-off optional in a recent update. I've been reading a lot about this one but haven't had a chance to take it for a spin yet. Nevertheless this is the first mention I've seen of major high-end roll off. . . Maybe you're on to something!

8. lpu2n

lpu2n Producer

Hmm... they say it's a plugin you have to "mix into" from the start. That makes sense. I was trying this on complete mixes. Still, I cant believe it's supposed to act this way. In this review, par. 9, it says the high end is crisp. I'm starting to wonder if it is maybe a bomb that was triggered by AUDIOUTOPiA.

Btw, can anyone find a manual for this thing? I have searched high and low fruitlessly.

9. returnal

returnal Rock Star

If I have time I'll download the demo tomorrow and report back.

10. focusrite

The ATPIA version is 1.12 which is the latest version. Also to note that it's modelled on 1950's tech which would have a unique frequency response.

11. audiowolf

audiowolf Producer

I don't know much about hardware, but I remember reading this in the waves puigchild manual:

• Transformers Some hardware uses transformers to stabilize or change Input/Output loads and signal levels. In earlier days, transformers did not have a flat frequency response, and often introduced low and super-high frequency roll offs. The original Fairchild has four transformers, so if you encounter a low or extremely high frequency loss, this is due to the modeled transformers.

I wonder if that's something similar to what was modeled in the Audified compressor?

12. lpu2n

lpu2n Producer

13. lpu2n

lpu2n Producer

Maybe you are right, this is what I thought at first as well. Still, I've never heard it that drastically, even with the Waves Fairchild emulation

14. focusrite

I didn't listen to your audio example (on a phone in bed) but that's not the kind of track I would personally use this compressor with unless it was in parallel.

Maybe on bright strings or harsh cymbals, something like that.

15. audiowolf

audiowolf Producer

I compared Puigchild 670 and the u73b with white noise. (about -3GR)

blue is uncompressed
    green is puigchild
    red is u73b

the puigchild seems to lose no high frequencies, both lose low end (u73b moreso) the u73b definitely has a weird high frequency drop off.

Interesting.

Attached Files:

16. lpu2n

lpu2n Producer

Thanks Audiowolf. Good to know I'm not totally crazy :rofl:
    Does anyone here have a legit copy? If so, could you test it out to see if it has the same problem?

17. returnal

returnal Rock Star

Like I said, I'll DL the legit demo tomorrow, but I'm sure it'll be the same.

18. lpu2n

lpu2n Producer

Ok, thanks man. I don't have an ilok so I can't really do that. Really lame copy protection, thank god it was broken.

19. returnal

returnal Rock Star

I also don't have a dongle but I don't think you need it for U73b (just iLok account signup online). I'm on Mac but still very happy it got cracked for Windows peeps. I have a video editing background so my dislike of AVID goes waaaay back ... PACE's equal parts incompetent and Machiavellian business model is atrocious ... and well, Slate's just annoying as hell. The childish part of me (larger part than I'd care to admit), really wished there had been some hidden candid cameras of those nimrods when they heard the news. I hope some of the dev's rethink the über intrusive "protection" strategy, but I doubt they will.

20. lpu2n

lpu2n Producer

You're probably right about that. After reading the entire thread on gs, I'm thinking it has more to do with the nature of the hardware. Still... never encountered this drastic a rolloff before. It's certainly a unique unit.

I think this is a plugin that I will mix though from the start, not just smack on whenever. Or I can correct with EQ.. although that is suboptimal in my books. Nontheless I really do love the vibe and the depth it adds. Great plugin.