Audient release iD24 - Compact interface with professional feature set

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by BEAT16, Feb 16, 2023.

1. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Audient release iD24 - Published 15/2/23
    Compact interface with professional feature set

[​IMG]

Audient have announced the release of the iD24, their new 10-in / 14-out audio interface that sits between the iD14 and the more recent iD44 [reviewed SOS March 2023 issue] in terms of functionality and I/O. Packed with features such as balanced inserts, ADAT expandability, and built-in monitor control, this latest offering aims to cater to the needs of professional users whilst retaining the ease of use associated with the iD range.

Two on-board microphone preamps with switchable phantom power, -10dB pad, and a high-pass filter functions are present, and as with the rest of the iD interfaces, are of the same discrete circuit design as those found in the company’s flagship ASP8024-HE console (print / web / app / replica / PDF editions). This focus on quality also extends to the interface’s converters, which utilise an internal 32-bit architecture and offer some impressive specifications, with the device’s D-A stage achieving a dynamic range figure of 126dB.

The two analogue inputs are provided on XLR/TRS combo sockets, and as well as providing connectivity for microphones, will also happily accept line-level signals. Instruments have not been left out either, with a quarter-inch jack socket on the front of the device offering a discrete JFET-based input. Four line-level outputs are also provided on quarter-inch TRS connectors. A pair of Toslink connectors then provide both ADAT input and outputs, allowing users to expand the interface with an additional eight channels of I/O, and a Word Clock output is also available on a BNC connector.

An additional four quarter-inch TRS connectors provide balanced insert points for each of the interface’s analogue inputs, allowing users to integrate outboard effects and processors into their signal chains during recording. The Return connectors also offer the most direct route to the A-D converters, meaning that they can be used to bypass the on-board preamps in favour of using an external unit if desired.

[​IMG]
    Despite its compact form factor, the iD24 provides a comprehensive selection of I/O.

Some monitor control functionality is built into the interface, with a large volume control joined by dedicated Dim and Cut buttons, and a set of three programmable buttons capable of being configured as additional functions such as speaker selection, talkback, polarity inversion, and mono sum. Cue mixing facilities are provided by a low-latency software mixer, which also offers a loop-back function, and a headphone output (with dual connectors) is provided on the front panel.

The iD24 operates at 24-bit and supports sample rates up to 96kHz. It connects to a host computer via a USB-C port, and is bus-powered.

Pricing & Availability
    The iD24 is available now, priced at £299 including VAT / €349.
    https://audient.com/products/audio-interfaces/id24/overview/

Source: www.soundonsound.com/news/audient-release-id24

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. Martel

Martel Platinum Record

I had the ID14, then upgraded to the ID22 and finally to the ID44 and waited over a year for them to get the ID88 out. It never happened.

I obviously went in the pro-grade market as I had no choice to do so a few years ago.

They got a weird ''podcast'' sort of product line out while I was seeing many users asking for a 8in/8out rackmount interface from the high end line to be released because they loved the product and company behaviour.

That was 3 years ago. I'm still here seeing all those sub-product being released and wondering, who the hell make those low market decision when the Audient console is being acknowledged as great consoles all around the world and one product manager still push on releasing all those entry class products!!??

Honestly, I feel some sort of shame to have given my money to that sort of development behaviour.

I really feel like I believed in someone that never believed in himself.

I never thought I'd say that but I feel sorry for them, really.

But I'm sure they know what they are doing and I'm just one random dude looking at their product as an awesome products with not enough pro-grade offering while their product manager is trying to compete with Behringer chinas factory. :wtf:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. ARTHEMISC

ARTHEMISC Producer

Pretty solid audio interface.
    Thanks for the information :wink:

My device is an Audient ID4 MKII.
    The issue that I find particularly unsettling about dual headphone output on this audio interface is when I use one headphone and one IEM with differing impedances. One of them becomes incredibly loud and I only have one master volume knob that has a direct effect on both of them at once. Hopefully, this will not happen with their new product.
    However, the rest was fairly decent. And I'm hopping that the newest product has a lot more features.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. Martel

Martel Platinum Record

6. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

It is nice to see they refined their iD22, although the difference is not that big. It's generally cosmetic to look more like their other desktop interfaces, so if you don't need WClock, additional panel functions and like to have a phase button on the input channels, you can still have iD22 instead. I'm sure the price of iD22 will go down a bit and it will be even more worth it than it already is. There are differences in specifications, too, but I wouldn't worry myself with those. :wink:

Those balanced inserts are soooo great! So easy to connect your analogue equipment into the vocal or instrument chain for recording. On the other hand, they're just your normal, regular TRS inputs and outputs. What I have noticed though is the really low AD-DA latency. 0.3ms at 48k! My TC Konnekt has 1ms AD-DA latency at 48k. I'm so used to it it's not a problem for me, but it is 3x more.

Martel, they are producing highly professional rack interfaces. EVO SP8 and EVO 16. However, I must admit I'm wondering too why they didn't just simply put the rack ears on them by default. Do we get those, or we have to buy them separately? These are brilliant and highly professional audio interfaces with a very "professional price", though. Too much for me. :) Well, their prices are RME like.

But this desktop line is brilliant and priced very competitively. I keep recommending those to everyone, especially because they make a really nice driver, too. Which is at least as important as hardware, if not more so. :wink:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
  7. Tob

Tob Platinum Record

Finally, I can upgrade my good old trusty ID22. Great price. I am missing some dsp, just for monitoring.

Edit Wtf still no power button?!? :woot:

8. Martel

Martel Platinum Record

@SineWave
    I don't know if you tried those new thingy but I had a very sterile experience with their EVO 8 interface.

Not saying this is undesirable with all application, especially for those tik tokers but that's not what I expect from an Audient preamp. Definitely not coming from the ID22 or ID44

My experience, and that's a few years ago, is that I was able to get some nice crunch ( for lack of a better word) when pushing those pre a bit over the top. Now that's definitely not whats happening with their new tik-tok line of products.

It must be me being set off by their auto gain line but that is just not working out for me at all.

But I must admit I was already set off by the generic idea and their might be a bit of placebo effect here but still, I won't back down on the fullness that was lost. To me it was very audible. It felt like going from a Neve pre to an entry level focusrite interface....or about. Just trying to make an idea of what I felt.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. ARTHEMISC

ARTHEMISC Producer

Yes you are absolutely right.
    I can't use two ear monitors (headphones and IEM) with various impedances at the same time as long as there isn't a separating button.