Audient iD14 mkII: what do you think about sound quality?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by mild pump milk, Sep 30, 2021.

1. spncart

spncart Producer

Comparing headphone outputs:

[​IMG]

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Obviously, the iD4mkII and iD14mkII have the best headphone outputs. Especially for high impedance pro-grade headphones. My AKGs are 600ohm.

However, the driver is the most important thing for any hardware connected to a computer. I have limited experience with Audient interface. Can some more people confirm the drivers are so buggy as some people here say it is? I remember reading about the ASIO loopback latency being almost as good as RME's, and that's as important as the stability of the driver. That's where RME's driver really shines, too.

If Audient's driver shines in ASIO loopback tests but it's unstable, maybe they will make it more stable in the future. That would be great. So the question is, for a budget interface, is it better to buy Audient iD4/14, Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 Gen 3, or maybe Motu M2? Focusrite's ASIO loopback latency has become decent in recent times with new drivers. I wonder how's Motu doing? [Windows]

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. spncart

spncart Producer

I'm so frustrated because the only area where the ID14MKII beats the Motu in my opinion is the better dynamic range (125db) including the headphone output, versus 115db for the M2/M4. Otherwise the M2/M4 seems to be a better package, including the led screen and Midi ports. I have seen mixed reviews regarding the headphone preamp though, I feel like the ID14MKII one is also better. Hopefully both can drive the 250 ohm (I have a Beyerdynamic DT 880) without additional amp, but I'm really not sure. As far as latency goes, both interfaces seem to be very good.

4. Unauthorised

Unauthorised Member

The Audient line surpised me with their less than advertised performace measurements, will post link need to find it. In many of them it under performed even the budget m2/m4, but they are great little cards imo. No to say the Audient isnt, but worth being aware of.

Source: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/audient-id4-audio-interface-review.10679/

The same site has same measurement threads for *most* cards

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Falls flat on its face when reduced to 33 ohms too apparantley:

[​IMG]

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...wer-into-33-ohm-audio-measurements-png.44355/

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
  5. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

But where are the M2 and M4 on that graph?
    I only see the MOTU 624 there...
    And I've just read all of your link.
    No mention of the new M range at all.
    And the thread is about the Audient iD14 Mk2, not Mk1.

6. recycle

recycle Guest

Note:
    The pics you linked are about the Audient iD4 MK1 (smaller one). Actually this thread is about the iD14 Mk2
    They are two quite different interfaces

7. Unauthorised

Unauthorised Member

My bad i thought the source link inlucded futher info on mk2. It had its own issues . About the m4 just mentiing it as it is a great value card that is out performing a lot of these options in areas, but I dont think it would make or break your outcome with many of the options offering simmilar funcionality these days. The search is decent on that site, there should be a dedicated m4 thread for detailed measurements too.

But whether the complaints are important to you guys use cases is not for me to say, didnt mean to put it that way.
    Just adding some info I had come acorss online that may have been of interest to anyone considering purchasing at the moment.

I should have been more clear about the versionings, its info id be keen to be aware of from the manufacturer but may not be to everyone apologies for the derail :)

More focused on mk2 complaints :

Sorry about the chinese but decent measurement pics:

https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/measurements-of-audient-id14-mkii/

--

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...t-updated-their-audio-interfaces.19219/page-4

8. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

This basically says stay away from it.
    A soundblaster with higher specs packed into a metal enclosure and sold as a pro audio interface.

9. Unauthorised

Unauthorised Member

There is some real eye openers when devliving into some of the detailed measurement threads, I was surprised by a few.

10. Luduvicus

Luduvicus Newbie

I've had both ID14 MKII and MOTU M4 and M4 sounds much better. Wider soundstage, superior detail retrieval. It's a beast for the price.

I've had issues with latency with MOTU M4, but they have released a new driver in November 2022 that reduced latency here to HALF. I was unable to use 48KHz with less than 1024 Buffer Size (huge latency) and now I can use 512 Buffer Size, which is ok (10ms or so), 100% stable (no pops/clicks). I've also noticed an improvement in sound quality inside Ableton Live. If you're in the fence, get the M2 or M4 now, drivers rock ATM.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  11. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Drivers are king, every purchase should be based on the quality of the drivers!