Audible difference between DAWs?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Ted Smithton, Nov 21, 2017.

1. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    DAWs *might* sound different because of their inner algorhythm processing and all, but it just amounts to the difference among hardware emulation, which is practically negligible. At the end of the day, the only significant difference in sound quality is not in the DAW but in the skill of the operator behind the screen. They're tools at the end of the day. However, if one is working projects in different DAWs, there's one thing that'll make or break compatibility: pan law, which is low louder or quieter two mono tracks will sound when put together as stereo. Every major DAW has a configurable pan law. We just have to make sure they match.

Pan Law - Wikipedia
    What pan-law setting should I use? - Sound On Sound

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • List
  2. TW

TW Guest

I dont hear a difference. I regularly switch between cubase, reaper, sonar and s1 and use them for different applicationes. But i have to say i never tested a huge project setup side by side.
    There are people that claim to hear a differences between sources recorded at the same time in 96khz and 48 khz. I dont hear that.
    Maybe my ears are just "consumed and old and bad".

3. D-Music

D-Music Rock Star

I'm aware of this but does it also mean that you can get a similar result when using an other DAW (in my case Logic) and add a tape emulation plug-in (from UAD for example) in the mastering chain?
    Same story goes for Slate Digital VCC or Waves NLS on all channels vs just 1 tape plug-in in the final processing.

4. I know how two different DAWs will null out and there isn't supposed to be a difference...but when I first listened to something I did when imported to Studio One it immediately got my attention. It was more 3-D, deeper sounding and just more hi-fi all around. It shocked me. I used the same card, monitors and nothing was different from my regular chain except I wasn't playing tracks through FLS.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • List
  5. devilorcracker

devilorcracker Platinum Record

@Bill Vkerchi? Guess you never heard of objectivity in your entire life

6. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    Well, the question is, which approach works for you? Is working on an analog console workflow (like Mixbus) and mixing into tape/transformer emulated saturation from the start what rocks your boat, or do you favor working on a pristine digital sound environment and then add the gritty tape/console flavor at the end? If you ask me, in part it depends on your sound source. For example, if I record through a tube preamp, tube guitar amps, a mic'ed bass cabinet and drumkit, then adding tape emulation isn't that essential. However, when working with loops and samples, I feel a mix might benefit more from some character or glue, which I suppose Mixbus might excel at.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. Bill Vkerchi?

Bill Vkerchi? Kapellmeister

Ha don't be mad, m8. I was just typing a comment explaining my dislike). The null test doesn't really matter as it will cancel out or almost cancel out the same signal with slightly different treatments. When the differences are that subtle as the rounding error noise and how much the daw degrades the signal, differences in summing, or whatever, you won't spot it on the meters when you null it out because the signal is the same overall but with these differences. People are repeating that all DAWs sound the same because they want it to be that way so bad. Hell, i want it to be that way too. I wanted to do everything in Ableton. But i can hear a big difference between Ableton and S1. And protools sounds different from them also. And i don't really care why is that so. I can predict people are going to be parroting about the panning laws and all that. And they dismiss everything that goes against their current theory or mindset about how stuff works which is not objective or scientific in any way. I trust my ears first and foremost. If it goes against people rationalization why they think it shouldn't be so, i don't care. I did and extensive testing to prove that to myself. If you can't spot a difference - you shouldn't be worrying about that difference anyway.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  9. I may no.longer have the high end range as I did a few years ago, but I have really good ears for the subtle differences I can discern between different gear. I hear it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. notapro

notapro Noisemaker

1 + 1 = 2
    1 + (- 1) = 0

Your DAW doesnt change math or physics. They all sound the same.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  11. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

oic. Could you tell me which DAWs offer a more centered/mono perspective, and which give a wider focus?

Ah yes, the headroom question. I, too, find 32-bit float math very limiting :|

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  12. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

That's because Fruity Loops uses harsh digital maths, while Studio One artisanally crafts each sample with quality SPICE-modeled analogs & the magic of friendship.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  13. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

Oh no. Again.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  14. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

Isn't that for poor people who don't even know how to ̶s̶t̶e̶a̶l̶ share?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  15. kimikaze

kimikaze Platinum Record

Well as many times was said, the only proper prove is AB blind test and before know nothing about system you will hearing. Once brain imagination and emotions are involved(even if is only a picture of system or part of it), which happen in first moment we open our eyes or see object we evaluate, test is invalid.

16. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Recognized and referred to by the likes of Avid (Pro Tools) no less.

17. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

If you are not busy during the holidays, try doing your own comparison between Cubase, Ableton, Traktion Waveform, Reaper, FL Studio, Pro tools with Heat turned off, and Studio One 3 without any console devices.

If you already have a project using third party plug-ins, recreate it in each DAW you choose to test.
    You will have to save presets inside the plugins to load in the other DAWs (something that should be done anyway for safety).

18. Tabby

Tabby Kapellmeister

Technically they should sound same. But producers and engineers perceive difference because of the GUI they they see. We all know that - "My DAW sounds best". :hillbilly:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

So you can't
    ...or name the one which could be pushed furthest "before noticable breakup or distortion"?
    Because?
    Senpai noticed!

20. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

I'm sorry... Thought you were after knowledge or trying to have a conversation. Not trying to argue a point.

I still suggest that you do the test for yourself. Take a project you know well and put it through the ringer of each DAW
    you are interested in. Start with all compression/eq/limiting off & build from the track level with processing.

Remember that a single track sounds good on it's own but may need help as more are added. This is where your ears should
    start to pick up subtleness that either pleases or annoys.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017