Audible difference between DAWs?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Ted Smithton, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Jeffrey_Goinz

Jeffrey_Goinz Ultrasonic

Check this, its a Summingtest from a German Youtuber named FMN-Music, just use the English Subtitles if you dont understand German! :wink::bow:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  2. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Do all AD/DA converters the same sound the same?
    Should results of an analyzer or scope be ignored?
    Should digital being converted to analog for our ears be taken into account or ignored?

3. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

Roughly. Certainly not the weakest link in the chain -- the amount of distortion introduced by mics/speakers/room acoustics are orders of magnitude higher. That said, the differences are demonstrable & measurable (if not audible)
    No. Have you got some?
    How is this related to DAWs? DAWs deal with digital signal (math) from start to finish. No D/A/D conversion happens in DAWs :|

4. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

We hear in analog not digital. The conversion happens between the DAW and sound device, yes? Then our ears get it.
    Analysis tools show us where peaks and dips occur as well as overal signal integrity.

5. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

Yes. All DAWs talk to [the same ASIO] driver, which, in turn, talks to teh DAC. DAWs also render files (numbers).
    DOWs have nothing to do with converting a bitstream to analog signal -- they crunch numbers; have no effect on what the driver (or a media player) does with those numbers.
    You ask me if we should ignore test data. I ask "what data?" You tell me you ain't got none. Pretty pointless to keep going, no?

6. The_Disturbed

The_Disturbed Ultrasonic

What we hear is also influenced by other factors than the sound that comes out of a DAW.

So who is one to judge what someone else hears? It could be entirely subjective, which is what these discussions generally conclude.
    If someone hears a difference, then by the grace of that, there is a difference. If someone doesn't hear a difference, then there is no difference in the sound.

You can point to all kinds of graphs, but they don't control what goes on in the brain of the subjective listener.

Sound is subjective, not objective.

7. Philoustyle

Philoustyle Noisemaker

Every DAW sound the same. Their audio engine work in 32 bit floating point. The difference is in your sound card' AD & DA converter. It's the marketing who make people thought a DAW sounds better than another.

8. Zealious

Zealious Kapellmeister

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  9. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

For those who have not done, or don't want to do their own test imaging and analysis, some links:

SRC Comparisons
    http://src.infinitewave.ca/

Analog to Digital Converter
    https://www.coursera.org/learn/tech...ion/lecture/UZPKd/analog-to-digital-converter

What is the Inevitability of D to A Conversion in Music Production? | | shane berry
    http://shaneberry.com/what-is-the-inevitability-of-d-to-a-conversion-in-music-production/
    Image-Line DAW Wars
    https://www.image-line.com/support/FLHelp/html/app_audio.htm

There is a lot of research out their done by universities and pros such as Bob Katz and others.

10. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

Just curious, did you read/understand any of the links you pasted?
    Sample rate conversion. ProTip: Don't do it. Stick to one sample rate per project.

Regardless, even when the most awkward (96 to 44.1, unpleasantly non-integer ratio) conversion was made, with the 96kHz sample containing 48kHz tone @ -6dB (something that seldom occurs in the wild, or shouldn't), the graphs still show nothing worse than what looks to be -120 - -130dB for current DAWs.
    TL;DR: If you do everything wrong, you still won't hear the difference.
    I'm not sure how to make "DAWS DON'T DEAL WITH DACs" any clearer, but hope springs eternal; I'll try.

Think of the DAC as your headphones, an apartment house, or a small, stubborn child. While all these things may be, and often are, different, THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DAWs.
    Nothing.
    If your headphones sound shitty, they'll sound that way with every DAW. Because just as hapens to be the case with DACs, the DAW doesn't deal with your headphones.
    It deals with a middle man, a runner if you will, named ASIO Driver.
    ASIO takes ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶c̶a̶s̶h̶ ̶&̶ ̶t̶e̶l̶l̶s̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶w̶a̶i̶t̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ the math cooked up by the DAW, and gives it to the DAC. The DAC, in turn, turns that bangin' bitstream into some wiggly analog voltage and sends that to your headphones.
    That's how things get done :)
    Tells you that there is no difference between DAWs. Which brings me back to my original question: did you actually read/understand any of the stuff you made me read, or did you just think it was some cold-blooded shit to say to a motherfucker before you popped a cap in his ass:cool:?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

You obviously did not go/read through all of the Image-Line material as expected. That is why I picked it. Just to see if you picked up on their acknowledgement of difference or just took from it what you wanted and left it at that.

Any one can start an argumentative conversation and be stubborn about others input. Too bad....

12. beatmagnus

beatmagnus Guest

I kind of feel like people are listening through their buttholes..

13. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

Lol, "It's there, but I won't tell you where. Nyah!"
    Wouldn't it have been quicker & simpler to ctrl-c what you think supports your point, & ctrl-v it here? You can still do it you know :) Or not, up to you :)

14. tapekiller

tapekiller Kapellmeister

Oh, really? Pretty funny because that's how you're behaving right now.

15. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

You are probably the kind who is never satisfied. I would imagine.

Was trying to find an Article by Eric Persing from some time ago on KVR but, no luck. Their older forum archives seem to be deleted.

Here is another interesting link:
    http://www.galaxyclassics.com/index.php/en/recordingen/audiostuff/69-nulltest

16. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Reading is fundamental...

17. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Did you read?? and BTW, language...

18. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Now the SRC Comparisons shows the differences between DAWs in the test performed there with, as requested, images.

This site gives further info into this touchy, ahem...subject.
    http://www.galaxyclassics.com/index.php/en/recordingen/audiostuff/69-nulltest

There has also been a raging debate about digital displays. Similar to my ears, my eyes are senstive to the scan rate on
    digital displays. A lousy display will make my eyes move noticably leading to tired eyes.

Here's a quick question for all. In a noisy enviroment like an indoor live music event (A level room), what are two items
    you can use to quickly isolated/focus your ears?

19. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

Reading and understanding what you read is fundamental.
    Let's see what it is you've linked me to. Ready, Reader? K, here we go!

The post transcodes some signals, this time from 24-bit deep 96kHz to 32-bit float 48kHz, and then [almost] back, to 32-bit float 96kHz.
    It goes on to tell us, teh musical scholarz, with wordses and purty pictures, that there is no fucking audible difference.
    Picture:
    [​IMG]
    Words:
    This picture shows both the spectrum and the waveform of the difference signal. As can be seen there is virtually no difference below 20 kHz.

The learned author errs on the side of caution; -195dB is roughly equivalent to a flea farting during the launch of Saturn V rocket, which, dear reader, registered 204dB in a test conducted by NASA's clever musicologists.

See how much more useful (and fun!) reading becomes when someone explains things 2 u?
    And also about Trump. Neither one of these interesting debates has anything whatsoever to do with DAWs. Let's stay focused :)
    [​IMG]

20. thepie

thepie Ultrasonic

Best Answer
    lmao this debate still exists. 20 years ago some Pro Tools fan boys made that up to get one up on Cubase users. Total nonsense then and nothing has changed.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List