Auburn Sounds releases new original pitch shifting algorithm - Inner Pitch

Discussion in 'Software News' started by towerdefense, Oct 6, 2023.

1. towerdefense

towerdefense Guest

https://www.auburnsounds.com/blog/Inner-Pitch-A-New-High-Quality-Pitch-Effect.html

Key points:

"It has both a lower latency (17.8 ms versus 23 ms) and a better base sound than Auburn Sounds Graillon."

"...our DSP quality process has continuously improved with the release of Couture, Panagement 2, Renegate, and Lens. We knew we could do much better (than Graillon.)"

"And we believe that Inner Pitch is possibly the best-sounding pitch-shifting engine available today."

"Inner Pitch has a Free Edition without time limit or noise, that can be used in real projects. The free version has a lower maximum quality, and will struggle a bit more on transients, but you can get a feel of what the Full package would be."

Available for Win/mac/Linux

Personal thoughts:

I liked Graillon's pitch shifting a lot due to how consistent it sounded across many different types of vocals. I'm excited to try this out and will give update when I'm able to.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  3. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

I was going to keep this at first, but then I tried it on church bells and it sounded like a 64kbps mp3. I then tried elastique / RubberBand / ReaReaRea on the same samples and they sounded comparatively fine.

4. towerdefense

towerdefense Guest

To be fair most pitch algorithms are tuned specifically for vocals. I think multiband granular pitch shifting is best for instruments or as a "universal" shifter.

5. uladzislau

uladzislau Producer

Sounds.... meh
    https://voca.ro/1ewbQsbTaBHS
    Pitchshift +3st
    1. Original
    2. zplane Elastique Pitch V2
    3. kiloHearts kHs Pitch Shifter
    4. Auburn Sounds Inner Pitch
    5. Devious Machines Pitch Monster
    6. FL Studio Pitch Shifter

1. zplane Elastique Pitch V2
    2. kiloHearts kHs Pitch Shifter
    3. FL Studio Pitch Shifter
    4. Devious Machines Pitch Monster
    5. Auburn Sounds Inner Pitch

6. towerdefense

towerdefense Guest

My thoughts:

It sounds similar to Graillon with Preserving formants turned "off". The algorithm itself sounds better than Graillon in both pitching up & down, although it uses a LOT more CPU. However, the "preserve formants" of Graillon always sounded neat to me & you can't get that effect with Inner Pitch. Also the formant shifter of Inner Pitch sounds very off in a way I can't describe; you'll just have to hear it yourself.

It doesn't compete with the transparency of pitch shifters from Melodyne, iZotope or Antares, but it's different enough to stand out without sounding outright bad.

That's just talking about the shifting algorithm itself...like all Auburn Sounds products it doesn't just do 1 thing, it also has a delay with unique sounding diffusion & feedback, a "color" section with subtle tube saturation, a video game codec effect & a sample rate reducer. The "tonal" section subtly boosts/squashes transients effected by the pitch shifting & works well enough. The EQ/spectrum is more interesting than it seems. It uses linear phase sinc-like shelves + bandshelves. Meaning, they're extremely steep & surgical, not at all like I was expecting.

Overall, this isn't a replacement for Graillon (nor does it seem to try to be), but it is a great pitch shifter to add to my collection with some neat tricks up its sleeve. Perhaps the different quality options in the full version can make it better compete with more transparent pitch shifters.