Atomic Heart Lock sound effect

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by Artotroph, Mar 12, 2023.

1. Artotroph

Artotroph Newbie

Does anyone know how to create this sound (The chime and the mechanism release) or know what vst I should use get close? I dont know how to create intricate sounds like this yet so any help or direction would be epic. Thanks guys

3. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

For the mechanism ithe classic way of doing things is gathering a bunch of audio samples and blending them together as you need. Check out freesound.org, Soundly, packed libraries like Boom Library mechanicals. Lots of options around. And of course you can always record stuff yourself.

Not sure if there's a specific vst ment for this kind of stuff, but there are kontakt libraries related to foley, which could contain some mechanical sounds (never really tried them myself). Everything else that could potentially have mechanical inspired sounds is usually too processed to come close to these type of things.

As for the chime, no idea. Sounds like just a chime (or other tonal metallic sound) with some reverb and fancy delay. Fabfilter Timeless 3, just to name something. Whatever delay plugin it is, it's high passed.

4. Artotroph

Artotroph Newbie

Interesting. I like experimenting with sound effects but i often get heavy handed and waay off track when inspiration strikes in the process lol.

I may just end up sampling the sound. I probably wont do too well replicating it. To clean up the background noise, I would use edison and parametric eq. Its there an other tool you know of that works well with sthings like that?

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

Acon Digital Restoration Suite are great little plugins for noise/hum/buzz/click type noise fixes. If you do not want or need to go all Izotope RX on it. There is an r2r version on sister site for Mac or pc.

6. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Set up a microphone, or two if you want stereo. Throw a few forks/knives/spoons (bundled) onto the bed, distort it a bit and filter it to taste (generally cut lows if it has too much proximity and cut/reduce the highs if you recorded with condenser mics). Cut/adjust length to taste. Layer the "cuttlery impact" with a simple FM synth (high notes) which goes (seperately) through a little delay and reverb. You can use any freeware synth. it's that simple. "It works!"

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023