Atlantik: Gezeitenkoenig (Techno) - What do you think of this kick?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by luxxenator, Feb 2, 2017.

1. luxxenator

luxxenator Member

Hello dear forum,

I was wondering if it's just me, but something about this mix bothered me. Especially around 1:10 , is this kick (to some extent objectively speaking) clipping or just my lack of appreciation?

Opinions about this track, kick and other elements greatly appreciated!

Thanks

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

When you're talking underground music a good amount of "ethics" is thrown out of the window so you the most objective talk one can do is talking only inside that specific subgenre (offtopic: a track will fit in that subgenre if it respects more or less 80% of the defining elements of that subgenre). And not even in these conditions a subjective talk is "subjective", because these genres always change. So if today is all about a clipped kick (let's say), next month is all about hi passed kicks, just to have a steady rhythm. And next month it will be about super smooth hi passed cymbals and a deep kick but not too punchy and so on...

Clipping is just a form of distortion, so it's impossible to say if it was a mixing mistake or intentional.

4. Gnib

Gnib Producer

I listened on Tidal HIFI and I do not hear clipping. It does have a bit of a boomy tail but that is consistent, except for the part where the filter is used of course.

It is a fine song. Thanks for bringing it up to my attention.

5. johndoehizzle

johndoehizzle Kapellmeister

it does sound a bit boomy/ heavy on the low end. but thats kind of how kicks of this sub genre (minimal) are or at least according to my knowledge, techno kicks have more punch to them.