Astronomy / space related semi-heavy song - need input

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by Pasi, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Pasi

Pasi Audiosexual

Hi fellas!

First of all, not looking for views on youtube, not my intention. I know we arent never satisfied with our songs and mixes :) Need a little help about the balance of everything on this. Guitars are TSE X50 with stock IR's, drums Superior 3 death exp. Bass, sorry "bass" is MODO bass mixed with EZmix Bob Rock. And some synths. I'm struggling with the overall bass balance. I''m aware that VST's wont replace real bass. Did I managed to get this at almost good at all about the whole mix? I used mostly Fabfilter plugins and Ozone for the master. Thanks if you guys will listen give me some suggestions. I'm pretty pleased as it is now but... :)

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

I like the composition, arrangement and performance.

As to my experience BD and snare of SD3 often lack punch, cyms and HH are too far left and right and too far in the back.

I made some quick adjustments but neglected the snare's punch which would've been more effort.

Although I think it's a bit too loud, I adjusted TP and LUFS for comparison purposes:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=18CAAJCtq7bPUW2lU_QCnAFapDT2WPTMW

4. Pasi

Pasi Audiosexual

It's been yes my struggle allways with the snare on SD3. Theres no punch. What a heck did you do man? :) Sounds much better!

5. No Avenger

Low cutted ~30Hz, raised with low shelf below 100Hz, lowered 100 - 200Hz, lowered ~ 1kHz, raised around 6kHz, raised with high shelf ~ 5kHz.
    Narrowed stereo width below ~ 120Hz a lot (mono) and to different amount with three more bands 120 - 20.000Hz a bit.
    Added transients.
    Set center to 110% and sides to 90%.
    Limiter to adjust TP and LUFS.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. Pasi

Pasi Audiosexual

Much appreciated! Can I hire you to do my future mixes? :D

7. No Avenger

For mixing and/or mastering, yep.

8. Pasi

Pasi Audiosexual

Awesome!

9. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

nice work by both of you.

10. Blindcrake

Blindcrake Ultrasonic

I'm and ex prog/hard rock guy, I (almost) always cringe when someone posts a rock song because I want to love it but there's always something keeping it in the 'cheese' zone. And as a bassist, yeah, I read MODO and was bracing myself.

I thought it sounded great. MODO was fine. The playing was tight and the TSE was just as good as my old Axe-FX II. Seriously, everything sounded great.

My only *slight* gripe are the drums with the mix mostly, but that can be fixed. I think you did a great job with the performance of them but since I listen to real drums so much there's the 'uncanny valley' effect... something that's 99% as good as Mike Portnoy actually sticks out because of those subtle nuances that aren't there. There are so many killer prog metal online session drummers out there that would absolutely slay on this track. As is, I think you do an overall amazing job.

The issue overall minor issue I had with the mix, No Avenger fixed -- the original sounded slightly choked/congested; his mix opened it up but still made it hit harder. Sounds so good!

11. Blindcrake

Blindcrake Ultrasonic

I've never worked with him, but I'm thinking of an online session guy like

http://hugoribeiro.com/

Many of these guys will offer (limited) free tracks and usually have very competitive rates. Not trying to steer your writing/project in another direction, but it's an option we often forget about.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  12. TeknoGenius

TeknoGenius Member

Nice track. Are the guitar sound source sample based or did you play live? They sound cool!