[Ask] Converting samples with kontakt without audio interface ?

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by toshfox, Nov 27, 2023.

1. toshfox

toshfox Noisemaker

Hello

I would like to convert some kontakt libs to 16 bits. I don't want to do it with totalcommander (converting nks to wav) but with kontakt by saving the instrument and unchecking the box "compressed" .
    Once the wav files converted to 16 bits, I will save again and check compressed.

But my question is if it's important to have an audio interface for that ? Does it need a good soundcard/Audio interface to do it ?
    My computer and its audio chipset can do the job (I think it's just digital conversion?) but I want to ask in case ...

thanks

3. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Bit depth reduction and downsampling from one file to another file is done in software. Your hardware doesn't make a difference.

r8brain, iZotope and SoX are great options for doing both. r8brain has a super simple GUI, iZotope has a lot of options and SoX is very complex but easy to automate - because it's command line.

You should always dither when converting from a higher bit depth down to 16 bit. This raises the noisefloor minimally, but avoids tearing and crackling noises in fade outs/reverb tails/quiet sections. All three options come with their own dither implementations and might even automatically enable them when reducing bit depth - check the manual.

You could also just use Reaper's batch converter, which uses r8brain under its hood plus (optionally) a noise shaped dither.

4. D#RK M#TT#RS

D#RK M#TT#RS Ultrasonic

you don't need audio interface, converting audio file (kontakt to wav) is software processing, not sound card. to get good result you can follow what xorome suggest.

5. toshfox

toshfox Noisemaker

Thank you for you help !

Yes I remember some tutorials here about that topic.
    I will check the reaper's batch conveter you mentioned . thank you

thank you !

Last edited: Nov 27, 2023