ASIO4All pops and cracks in Reaper?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Shiori Oishi, Oct 25, 2023.

1. Shiori Oishi

Shiori Oishi Kapellmeister

Hi all!

64-bit Windows 10 user in need of help here. I recently installed ASIO4All (an old VST required it). Instantly, my computer started acting funny. Sound-wise, here's what happened:

1) The driver split my devices in two: two headphones, two laptop speakers. I had to select the right option to hear Reaper through my phones, or for my system volume fader to work properly. I could listen to YouTube through the headset, but the sound of Reaper would come through laptop speakers. Go figure!

2) Reaper became sluggish and the sound started to crack and pop all the time. This had never happened before. I then decided to uninstall the old VST and this ASIO4All driver, which I had never heard about. I used the Control Panel and the Registry to get rid of the driver.

3) Now the sound still cracks and pops. To be honest, I don't even remember what the usual (old) audio driver device was, and what I should pick from the list. (picture included).

[​IMG]

Can anyone help me, please?

3. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

First off I would try to figure out from the ASIO4ALL panel and see what's enabled.
    2023-10-25_085925.jpg

4. Shiori Oishi

Shiori Oishi Kapellmeister

I see! Thing is: I uninstalled it already... I understand that may not have been the best course of action... Can you think of something I could do now?

5. aleksalt

aleksalt Producer

I have the same problem with ASIO4ALL, but in Sonar, sometimes...
    Heard there are 3-4 alternatives to ASIO4ALL, but never tried them and would love to hear someone's experience with thoses drivers

6. pratyahara

pratyahara Guest

7. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Not knowing anything about:
    • your system hardware
    • BIOS settings
    • Windows version (should be using 21H2 or 22H2)
    • Windows configuration/settings
    • How many running services listed in Task Manager
    • Whether or not WiFi is on/off
    • etc...
    One can only make basic troubleshooting suggestions for you to try. I agree with @ratyahara about trying the Steinberg Generic ASIO.

The ASIO & DAW settings should match using 44.1 kHz, 24 bit or, 28 kHz, 24 bit. Set the ASIO buffer as low as you can get it for stable record monitoring or MIDI input from an external keyboard, pad device or microphone. Usually 64 to 256.

If you are just playing back audio & vst instruments, 512 to 1024 is usually solid. Especially for mixing.

The Windows sound settings should also match the ASIO & DAW settings if that is your primary sound output.

If your system drive is spinning rust & 5400 RPM or, a 7200 RPM non-enterprise drive (no cache or a small cache like the cheap WD Blue or Seagate), you wil always have random audio glitching. A heavily fragmented HDD or SSD can also have the same result or add to the problem.

For SSDs, make sure the Trim setting is set to active/on in Windows.Also use a program like Defrag from O & O Software. They have a 30 trial.

If you read some of the Windows system tuning guides from that can be found from a web search, you will gain a basic to very advanced understanding of how to mange settings for optimal performance. Try "Windows 10 audio optimization" as a search to get started.

8. gzilla

gzilla Ultrasonic

If you're using Sonar and win 10+ use WASAPI instead of ASIO(Asio4All) maybe get a good result.
    I'm using FlexAsio instead of Asio4All and it's ok maybe give a try.
    https://github.com/dechamps/FlexASIO

9. aleksalt

aleksalt Producer

Thanks, I'm on Win7, so far, on all the machines (32/64)