ASIO in Ableton "Driver Type"

Discussion in 'Live' started by jhn, Oct 29, 2017.

1. jhn

jhn Ultrasonic

im on Windows 7 32bit, i have the Scarlett Solo 2nd Gen from Focusrite(my default playback/recording device) & have "no sounds" selected for "sound scheme"
    i have the latest driver for the Scarlett(4.36.4) & ASIO4ALL(2.14) installed
    on Ableton Live Suite 9.7.5 in Driver Type only MME/DirectX shows up, no ASIO
    i can choose Focusrite USB in Audio Input/Output Device & use it that way but every video i see they have ASIO selected in the Driver Type box
    it works fine In Fl Studio, there's Focusrite USB under "DirectSound devices" but also Focusrite USB ASIO under "ASIO devices"(the option i use)
    in ASIO Control Panel(outside the DAWs) i have Sample rate: 44.1kHz & Buffer size: 512
    in FL my Buffer length is 12ms
    in Ableton if i set the Output Buffer Size to 512 Samples the Test Tone goes nuts(even at 1024 i get crackle)
    how do i get Ableton to recognize ASIO under Driver Type?

3. Peter Krav

Peter Krav Producer

Go to C-User-''Name'' Appdata-Roaming-Ableton-Live 9.7,5 (your version) and delete Indexer txt,Preferences.cfg,Log txt and ASIO sound check txt if exist, if you had any versions prior to 9,7.5 and it worked fine, search in the same location that version and copy the Preferences.cfg to 9.7,5 and delete all the older versions (Folders)
    Try reinstalling Asio4all, try the version 2.13
    The last thing you can try is to delete (uninstall) Focusrite Asio drivers and run Ableton as Admin and look at options- audio device if this works install the drivers again

4. wuzzle

wuzzle Platinum Record

Lesser Galactic Co-ordinates: Earth (0.0.0)
    I have a Scarlett 2i4 (1st gen) and found the most stable I could make it was using FL Studio's ASIO driver with Ableton Live. Win 8 or win 10 - same issue. Tried all the other available ASIO choices, and most were more troublesome, so that too may work for you.

5. jhn

jhn Ultrasonic

Peter i tried all that & it still didn't work
    Wuzzle, FL's ASIO driver doesn't show up for me in Ableton

6. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Have you read this already?

7. wuzzle

wuzzle Platinum Record

Yeah the beta Focusrite driver sort of worked, but I had crackling issues and it has a lack of choices in the settings to alleviate that. Focusrite support is on autopilot and they kept saying I should use an even older driver compared to the beta never to be released one. Suffice to say i'll never buy them again ;)

8. jhn

jhn Ultrasonic

i tried reinstalling the Focusrite drivers & going back to Ableton 9.6 to no avail
    also i dont have any AVG type program install that could be blocking anything
    sucks cuz im finally starting to like Ableton

9. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Given that Focusrite offer an ASIO driver in the first place, why are you using ASIO4All ?

10. jhn

jhn Ultrasonic

Fiction, im not using ASIO4ALL, i thought having ASIO4ALL installed would make ASIO show up under Driver Type
    in Ableton i can only use MME/DirectX but this way when i choose Focusrite USB, Hardware Setup doesn't appear

11. wuzzle

wuzzle Platinum Record

Just because they have a driver doesn't mean it's a good implementation. They suck.

Tested on both platforms, it actually works great on OSX (class-compliant mode) which is driverless. It's only Win where there are issues. :|

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  12. jhn

jhn Ultrasonic

i have NVIDIA graphics & AMD CPU, also my pc came with Vista but i upgraded to Win7, idk if maybe that has something to do with it

13. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Well, it's not the first time that people have trouble with Focusrite drivers.
    I've only had an iPad dock (iTrack Dock) from them, and because it started acting weird after a few hours of use, I had a lengthy discussion with Focusrite support until they accepted that it was broken and qualified for repair (of course within the warranty period).
    Currently working with Zoom UAC and Edirol and native ASIO drivers, zero issues and very low latency even over USB 2.0.
    Those Focusrites seem to work on many systems, but still too many people apparently have issues with badly or non-working drivers.
    Drivers are like any other software: Without proper maintenance from the developer, they're just as worthless as a buggy, discontinued DAW .
    Nice box, limited use.

14. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

Focusrite drivers sucks, it´s one of the reason I switched it in two weeks

15. jhn

jhn Ultrasonic

i didn't know Focusrite had these problems, i was under the impression they were really good for the price being $100
    i have no problems in Fl Studio just Ableton
    i was also planning on buying the scarlett 18i20 but now im 2nd guessing it

16. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

using FL ASIO too, it seems to work even better as ASIO4All.

i installed FL and then deinstalled FL, but left FL ASIO installed, when i open Ableton i can choose FL ASIO, so i dont know what OP makes wrong.

17. jhn

jhn Ultrasonic

is it true that Focusrite interfaces can cause Blue Screens? cuz i get them a lot & never thought my interface could be the cause

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  18. Peter Krav

Peter Krav Producer

Any audio interface can do that lets not blame Focusrite for everything! If there is a problem with your soundcard and/or the drivers yes. I had a Tascam many years ago it could give me a bsod at random and the reason was faulty drivers they couldn't fix the drivers and they discontinued the product.I still have it but its stable only on win XP.
    i do reccommend you to buy it if you are on win 7 64 or 32 it's working perfect! the drivers have issues on win 10 only! Never had a proplem with it on win 7 in any DAW,latency as low as 2.74ms, you will like the preamps also!

19. jhn

jhn Ultrasonic

Peter i am on win7 32bit, i really like the Scarlett Solo & if i stick to FL Studio there's no problem, but im really feelin Ableton & would just like to use my interface to it's full potential & not have to bounce everything to record in another DAW because of how bad the latency is in MME/DirectX