Arturia Minilab MkII - Smart Controller Automatic Assignment

Discussion in 'Logic' started by Dankman, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Dankman

Dankman Newbie

My controller wasn't auto-detected and hence I couldn't auto-assign. The keys play fine and so do the knobs but Logic fails to recognise a controller listed as compatible on their website! I even tried to manually install it via the Controller Setup Pane, but nothing happens when I click the ADD button for ARTURIA MINILAB. I have the mkII. Have Arturia MIDI Center Installed. Mac mid-2013. Logic Pro X 10.4.1.

Any help would be much appreciated. I am literally at dire straits. I work only on logic plugins and it is essential that this auto assignment works!

Attached Files:

3. electriclash

electriclash Guest

ahhh this is tough space to be in; mackie hui protocol might be an answer although a little research says requests to arturia on the subject appear to have fallen on deaf ears . . . perhaps a method of mapping lpx smart controls functions would ne helpful in the situation you've described

from another board:

how I did my command assignation for the pads and knobs of the Minilab MKII inside logic to control common things like: Metronome on/off, save, markers, cycle and virtually any global command inside Logic. There´s no much info about it, no tuts and the manual of the Minilab doesn´t say anything substancial covering this topic and of course Logic Pro X is not the most friendly (in some cases) for assigning MIDI controllers so, this is how I made it:

Materials

1.- DAW CONTROL: An app made by Vitaly Tarasuk. Very nice and very functional app that I used a lot before Apple decided to launch the Native Logic Control. Inside Logic this app appears as a Mackie Control compatible surface.
    2.- MIDI MONITOR: A very simple app that allows you to monitor input and output MIDI messages
    3.- ARTURIA MIDI CONTROL CENTER: Standard app for programing the functions and behavior of the pads and knobs of the Minilab

Procedure

1.- With the Minilab properly connected and all the apps running and ready, open Logic Pro and go to Logic Menu/Control Surfaces/Controller assign.
    [​IMG]
    2.- Click on the (+) sign below the Zone column to make a new Zone. Name it Minilab MKII
    3.- Find the DAW Control assignation zone, depending the functions that you want there are many zones and inside the zones are different commands controlling different things, but in this example we want to control the SAVE assignation so let´s find it!
    4.- Locate the CONTROL SURFACE:LOGIC CONTROL zone, inside this zone are a few controls assigned to it´s respective parameters, one of them is SAVE.
    [​IMG]

5.- Locate and Click on it to display the assignation route.
    6.- Copy (cmd+c) the SAVE control and paste it inside the Minilab MKII zone that was created before.
    7.- So far so good. click on it and change the input message route to: Minilab MKII and change the MIDI Channel to 10 (In my case that´s what I like)
    [​IMG]

8.- Go to Arturia MIDI control center and assign one of the pads with the exact same MIDI note, in this case looks like this: 90 50 Lo7. Below logic translate as NOTE CH1, G#4 Lo7 but I´m gonna change it to channel 10.
    [​IMG]

9.- Use MIDI MONITOR app to understand better the MIDI data that is send and received, it will help you to understand better the controller assignation if you have doubts inside the MIDI control center, specially with knobs and values.
    10.- That´s all! Basically I´ve copied all the Logic control assignments to my Minilab MKII Zone and tweaked to CH10 and assign those inside the MIDI control center and save them to a memory slot in the Minilab. You can do it with any command you like just changing the command form the menu.

4. TDSTDSTDS

TDSTDSTDS Newbie

This is for the just-released mkii Keylab?

I thought if you hit the DAW button and scrolled to the Logic template everything would be pre-mapped.

5. TDSTDSTDS

TDSTDSTDS Newbie

Whoops, you said Minilab.