Arturia Keylabs Essential 61 MK3 or Keylab MK2?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Vincent Price, Jun 18, 2024.

1. Hello

It is time to make a decision on a new Midi keyboard. The Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2 has sold, and now it is time to order another.

I am looking at Arturia, either the keylabs essential 61 MK3 or the Keylabs MK2...Which one would you recommend?

Thanks

3. Barncore

Barncore Platinum Record

I would go with the Keylab mk2 (non-essential). The keys feel nicer, the build quality is better (aluminium case), you'd be less likely to regret it

If you get the essential version you'll just want to upgrade in the future.

Or maybe that's just me. I don't know, up to you. Lol

4. clone

clone Audiosexual

$300 dollars difference? I wanted to see how ChatGPT does with this stuff...

You:
    Compare Arturia Keylab Essential 61 MK3 with Arturia Keylab 61 MK2

ChatGPT:
    Both the Arturia Keylab Essential 61 MK3 and the Arturia Keylab 61 MK2 are MIDI controller keyboards from Arturia, but they cater to slightly different user needs and preferences. Here’s a comparison based on their features and intended use:

Arturia Keylab Essential 61 MK3:
    1. Design and Build:
      • The Essential series is designed to be compact and lightweight, making it more portable.
      • It features a streamlined design with fewer controls compared to the Keylab MK2.
    2. Controls:
      • Essential 61 MK3 has fewer assignable controls (8 encoders, 9 sliders, 10 buttons) compared to the MK2, focusing on essential functionalities.
      • It includes transport controls and DAW integration buttons for easier workflow.
    3. Software Integration:
      • Comes bundled with Arturia’s Analog Lab software with over 6,500 sounds from Arturia's V Collection.
      • Offers deep integration with Analog Lab and other DAWs, with pre-mapped controls for quick setup.
    4. Keybed:
      • Features a standard keybed with velocity sensitivity but may not have the premium feel of the Keylab MK2’s Fatar keybed.
    5. Price:
      • Generally more affordable than the Keylab MK2, targeting users who prioritize functionality and portability over extensive control options.
    Arturia Keylab 61 MK2:
    1. Design and Build:
      • Designed with a more robust build quality and a larger footprint compared to the Essential series.
      • Features a more extensive array of controls and a premium Fatar keybed, offering a higher-quality playing experience.
    2. Controls:
      • Offers a wider range of assignable controls (9 encoders, 9 sliders, 10 switches, 6 transport buttons, 4 command switches), providing more flexibility and customization options.
    3. Software Integration:
      • Bundled with Arturia’s Analog Lab software, similar to the Essential series, but with additional control options for deeper integration.
    4. Keybed:
      • Uses a Fatar keybed, known for its superior feel and responsiveness, making it suitable for more serious players and professional use.
    5. Price:
      • Generally more expensive than the Essential series, reflecting the higher build quality, more extensive control set, and premium keybed.
    Choosing Between Them:
    • Essential 61 MK3 is ideal for beginners, home studios, and musicians who prioritize portability, ease of use, and affordability.
    • Keylab 61 MK2 is suited for more advanced users, professionals, and those who value a premium keybed and extensive control options for intricate music production and performance.
    Ultimately, your choice should depend on your specific needs regarding build quality, keybed feel, control options, and budget. Both models offer excellent integration with Arturia’s software and DAWs, ensuring a seamless music production experience tailored to different user preferences.

5. I think at this point, it all comes down to cost.

Having sold the Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2 for £300 + £20 postage, of which out of all that, Reverb ended up taking £10.70 in processing fees, £16 in selling fees and £5.34 in VAT on top of that. So that's £32.04 they took alone. Then I got charged way more than I was originally quoted for postage as they put on another £8.39 on top of the £23.57 due to the value of the item being £300 it covers it for damages in transit, so postage came to £33.64 so then I'm left with £254.32...I'm so glad I didn't list it for less

At this point it is going to have to be the Keylabs Essential 61

6. DonaldTwain

DonaldTwain Kapellmeister

I've got Keylab MKII and it's beautiful.