Arturia KeyLab 49 MkII or Native Instruments S49 Mk2? Which is better?

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by Bunford, May 9, 2024.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Wanting a 49/61 key MIDI controller and been offered up both of these by friends. I tried Native Instruments' Komplete Kontrol M32 in the past but never used it much, not the Komplete Kontrol software. I also own the S25 Mk1 keyboard, but use it as a basic MIDI keyboard without Komplete Kontrol, which since v3.0 doesn't even support the Mk1 anyway (thanks NI....built in obsolescence much?!).

Never owned an Arturia keyboard, but been keeping an eye on them for years and always fancied trying one. I do also use some of the Arturia V Collection synths sometimes as well as the Arturia FX Collection effects, and am very happy with the quality of them, but software isn't hardware!

Anyway, of these two, in 2024, is either worth buying? Which is better for use in techno/tech house production using Ableton as the primary DAW?

The prices I've been offered these at are £150 for the S49 Mk2 and £120 for the KeyLab 49 MkII, just in case price is a factor.

3. Lorrislehorse

Lorrislehorse Ultrasonic

Maybe the Arturia Beatstep can be good for you as it have a sequencer, also Novation Launchkleys can pair well with Ableton.

4. OffshoreBanking

OffshoreBanking Producer

For people who would like to buy a NI keyboard.

I have a M32, if you don't install komplete Kontrol you can only use the keyboard/octave up down and modstrips.
    If you install Kontrol but (but don't use it) you can use Play/Rec/Stop/Loop/Undo/ Octave up down/Track volume knobs and the big knob to moove in the track length (wich is what I do)
    Only if you run your vst synth inside the kontrol vst can you use Scale/Preset up dwn/Quantize and Arpegiator wich I never do and is madness unless you actually use Komplete.

I'm ok using it the way I use it but If I where to do it again I would buy a Berhinger Swing since everything is built in (especialy the arp) and doesn't require software at all to use all the functionalities.

@Bunford since you use a few arturia plugins I would go for the keylab 49 MKII, my opinion is that NIS49MKII is overkill if you don't use komplete

I realy like the simplicity of A49 but functionnalities being locked by Kontrol is really disapointing so I think anything akai or arturia is a better option if you want to use the arp/scale without additional software.

I would gladly sell anyone my A49MKII for half the price it retails for, It's basically brand new without the original box I just don't feel confortable on "full size" keyboard and I threw away the box so my dumbass could never return it (I used less than 2h total)

5. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I already have a Push 2 for that, and more looking for keys to play parts in.

6. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

I have 2 arturia keyboards.,they are good keyboards. but the best thing is they have extensive prebuilt mapping for the arturia software. the later keylabs mk2 and 3 are especially good and work well with ableton, they have a DAW button to use them to control some aspects of your daw like arming and recording tracks.

download one of the manuals for the keyboard you are interested in from Arturia and see if the features match up to what you wan to do.

The Arturia sounds work for me, especially the pianos. The knobs and faders on the keyboard are premapped and I can adjust the volume and reverb without using the computer.

7. Garamondo Furbish

one thing, not obvious, unless you are familiar with the arturia marketing, keylab has 2 tiers, keylab and keylab essential. Keylab is the top of the line, metal case unit. Keylab essential is the plastic very good lower tier unit.
    unless you are touring with it you probably don't need the metal version. within the keylab and the keylab essential are the models, original (now mk1), Mk2, and MK3 being the latest verstion.

The MK3 has the most bestest display,

the mk3 with software goes for 220$ on amazon new - it comes with Analog lab V software - but you will have to download it from Arturia after you buy it... The center knob, lets you switch between, Analog lab, DAW, or user defined. when in Analog lab, it lets you scroll between instrument category, and within patches (presets) in categories. buttons to the left of the knob are your transport buttons for you DAW - you can use the faders within your DAW for tracks. The pads can be drums or samples - if you go up from essential to the metal version you probably get more knobs and faders and pads...

[​IMG]

8. Garamondo Furbish

I don't know if the analog lab mk3 has been released yet. I know the essential MK3 is available. I have an mkii and like it alot.
    I have the 88, but here is what the 49 key looks like - its 449$ - this is the metal version Keylab MK2, not the essential -
    note they release these with different colour variations, there is an Alpine White, there is a reverse black and white, where the sharps and flats are white and the naturals are black. etc.... so find out from your friend which colour scheme, and which tier essential or metal.
    that will let you know if you like the look and if the price is reasonable.

[​IMG]