Arturia Keylab 49, dead keys - is there a fix?

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by FWRG, Mar 25, 2021.

1. FWRG

FWRG Noisemaker

Hey folks!
    So i have the aforementioned midi controller (which is a friend's, ouch!) where one note was not working - at all. At first it wasnt working sometimes and then proceeded to not work at all.
    After opening it and clearing it from dust, i have two whole octaves that dont work.
    I have all drivers installed plus the firmware from Arturia but to no avail, is there a fix around it or should i paint it blue and pollute the sea with it?

3. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Oh dear. Either your "cleaning" of your once "friend's" contacts was too vigourous and you damaged the, uh, bits (too technical!) or you have dislodged the connector for a whole set...wait...you've only got 4 octaves anyway.
    If it's just the latter, you may still have that person as a friend.
    When they 'go', they go exactly as you describe: a whole octave or more at a time.
    You may have scraped off the coating on the contacts.
    In which case you'll possibly pay as much as the thing itself to source the parts and get a proper technician to repair it.
    When I mentioned contact cleaning in your other post about this, I was not suggesting you should attempt it yourself!
    This should have been obvious when you realised you don't know what you are doing! lol.
    Plus, the modern stuff is made as hard as possible to be self-serviced by a non-experienced person.
    Such that you will damage it irreparably.
    80s stuff was easier. 90s stuff harder. This is much newer.
    But either way, one has to know what one is doing.

4. spncart

spncart Producer

Arturia is known for having a non-existent customer service, good luck.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

thank god i didnt decide for this one and i read across the internet that a lot of people have problems with broken keys on the keylab and this very quickly after not really much usage.

you could still try to mail Arturia for support?

6. Cyril@Arturia

Cyril@Arturia Noisemaker

Hi,
    Cyril from Arturia here. Please contact our support team through this link :
    https://www.arturia.com/support/askforhelp/issues

They do their best to answer quickly but If you have some trouble to get in touch with them (which should not happen), feel free to send me a PM.

Best

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

Arturia controllers have a tendency to develop dead keys over a shot time. Ive had to do this before with my Keystep but just open it up aand clean the contacts and underneath the conductive rubber strips with rubbing alcohol using a qtip. You should be fine.

8. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Best Answer
    @FWRG don't freak out. It is an easy and inexpensive fix. I hope you did not use contact cleaner because that will damage the rubber contact strips.
    Before opening it do a factory reset and see if it solves the problem. If reset does not work try flashing the firmware again. If not solve go to the steps below.
    Re-open it. You only have on ribbon going from main control PCB to the keybed. Make sure that it is firmly placed and in the correct position. They are made to go in the right way but I have seen enough crazy shit with those. When you invert those you end up losing some octaves. Also make sure that the connectors on the right are properly plugged in. If that does not solve the problem go to next step.
    Second, remove keybed so you can get to the rubber contact strips. Take them all out, and using a pencil eraser clean each of the contact heads. Do it one at a time. Pass over each one several time until there is no trace on eraser. When putting them back make sure they are properly placed back where they belong. Good thing is that both, the 12 and 13 keys strips cost but $12. So if you need to replace them go to https://syntaur.com/Items.php?Item=4158.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. FWRG

FWRG Noisemaker

Thank you guys for all the replies and the truble.
    Thing was a strip needed just a bit of a move to work.

10. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Glad my suggestion worked for you.:like:

11. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Nice one Cyril :wink: