Arturia compressors?

Discussion in 'Software' started by RMorgan, Apr 3, 2019.

1. RMorgan

RMorgan Audiosexual

Hey guys,

I wonder what do you think about the new Arturia compressors:

https://www.arturia.com/products/software-effects/comps-bundle/overview

Personally, I'm really enjoying them. IMO, they sound really lively.

The STA sounds very smooth and gives a nice low-mid body. The 1176 sounds really rich. The DBX is very versatile. Most importantly, in my opinion, they don't sound flat and lifeless, like a lot of digital plugins...

I also really like their eq/preamps collection, most specially the Trident one, which sounds beautiful and is very versatile.

So, have you tried them? What do you think?

M.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Evo

Evo Kapellmeister

The new TAE (True Analog Emulation) technologies is very impressive

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. The Revenant

The Revenant Platinum Record

TAE is not new but very old (or is there a new version which I'm not aware of?...) and it's not impressive at all. Listen to their Minimoog emulation: a joke in comparison of The Legend, Monark or even Minimonsta.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Not as responsive as other emulations but more responsive than the Overloud GEM version for the 1176.
    Do like the DBX emulation but again, prefer other emulation.

Their Pre-Amp emulations don't really add any weight to the sound from my experience.

Fuse Audio Labs, Black Rooster Audio & Sonimus are much more ahead in terms of analog character emulation IMO.

Arturia is bound to get it right someday soon possibly.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  6. Evo

Evo Kapellmeister

For me is disrespectful saying that "TAE is not impressive at all". Legend is incredibly close to the newer Model D and Monark compares fairly well to an old Model D with dirty touch. For The Legend I read somewhere that was used two different Minimoog revisons (both Model D provided by BigTone). The Diva model is based on Hans Zimmer personal unit and have 5 different emulation inside. Back to the 3 compressors, is promising and impressing release nothing else to say.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. The Revenant

I know, I know... since recent years, under constant pressure of new-age environmental movements, we're tending to live in a kind of politically-correct world where everyone must show respect, even towards stones. But, please, be serious: we're talking here about a technology (a marketing scam, to be precise) and not even some low-level artificial conscience hosted by an organic binary structure... like my wife.

I totally agree, these two are great... and your silence about MiniV means to me that TAE bullshit fails in comparison.

Yes, they sound really good, but it doesn't mean TAE is impressive (nor even exist). It means they are well coded, more closely to their original counterparts than previous (old) Arturia's analog emulations. I'm curious: how do you compare Arturia's Jupiter8 to Roland Cloud's one?

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 3
    • Winner x 2
    • Love it! x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • List
  8. From two years ago...

Do we really need more 1176 plugin models?

http://noisefloorav.com/do-we-really-need-more-1176-plugin-models/

So leaving aside the UAD original plugs (UA make the hardware 1176), Slate Digital's FG-116, Wave's CLA-76, Overload, PSP Audio, IK Multimedia, Soundtoys and Nomad Factory, just to name a few, and never mind the freebies, just what is it, you are expecting to find in these plugs that you haven't already found, over and over and over again?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. vuuru_keg

vuuru_keg Platinum Record

My dudes their 1176 is BANGING i dont know how u can say it doesnt, better than any plugin ive used (havent used UAD yet tho)
    The cla 76 is a joke these days, and i mean its not fair cus its such an old plugin..
    T racks 5 black 76 is nice too but not as this one..
    U get my point i love it lol
    What some of u didnt like about it?

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. vuuru_keg

YES.
    technology evolves and emulation techniques change from company to company, look at the old cla76, its basically not relevant as a good emulation of 1176 because its so old, its a good compressor - but not a good 76..

Another thing is, some companies use cancerous licensing methods like ilok dongle or cloud, which might not fit for some people including myself and rather not to use them, so having other GOOD options is great

aaand more toys for us to play with ammiright bois :rofl:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • List
  11. Friggy

Friggy Guest

Black 76 is one of my favorites. It keeps aliasing way down, but it's attack doesn't go slow enough. Doesn't get as much snap that VMR Blue can get.

So i'm excited to try this one and see how it does.

• Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  12. ThorntonQ

ThorntonQ Producer

All of these plugins present an essence of the real hardware some more than others. I'm no more impressed by these Arturia comps than any other no less brilliant or worse than so many other manufacturers emulations but for me one stands above them all and having used the real hardware comes the closest that is Signaltonoise STN Stripe 76 for Nebula. When you live it up against the rest they sound good but they're like throwing a blanket over the speaker. Clarity and realism is what comes form STN 76 as with most NEbula libraries but sadly the CPU hit is the downside nothing printing to another track doesn't cure, something you do with hardware anyway. Arturia Comps are great but not like the STN 76. Just my two cents.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. What changed about the Waves CLA-76 that made it worse compressor than it once was?

14. Rudy Manterie

Rudy Manterie Platinum Record

Latest Arturia stuff is kick-ass. I really hope they update their Moog Modular and ARP to include their new tech.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  15. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

For me, the best sounding 1176 plugin is still PSP FETpressor. Weird that nobody mentioned that one.

CLA 1176 is still holding extremely well after all these years, and you can have 1176 instances of it in a project without having to wait for the project to load for too long. :wink: Not a fan of Waves, but they do the job incredibly well.

Cudos to Arturia Photoshop designers, though. They went beyond insanity this time around, especially regarding plugin size. :rofl:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  16. ampworks

ampworks Producer

This new one is hands down the best 1176 ive heard, it feels like a real one, the meters work right as well, the other two amazing as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  17. Evo

Evo Kapellmeister

I'm not a fun of Saas (software as a service) and as I know is very cpu intensive (Roland Cloud). I can't compare to the hardware one it can be a perfect emulation or not… I don't have a Roland Jupiter 8 in my studio unfortunally. But if you want an alternative suggestions, IK Multimedia J8 in primis and Diva (5 emulation in 1 vsti) is my way to go. For Arturia, the instruments needs a new update for better filters and for now is not the best emulation on the market. The collection have 21 emulated instruments. Is not shit or best but a good alternative and cpu friendly. The new 3 compressors are a good choice, i purchased them and now notice that the 165 has a limiter and this is the icing on the cake, this is able to distort, color, crunch anything and with this bundle you can get 1176 clean and if you want punch and dirt at the same time the 165 will master it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  18. johnyrebb

johnyrebb Ultrasonic

PSP FETpressor is the one I use most nowadays when I want that 1176 thing. Light on cpu and very flexible. I know I will try these new ones out though, because I'm a pluginjunkie! :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  19. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

del

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  20. vuuru_keg

nothing changed about it. thats exactly it :rofl:
    it was modeled fairly long time ago, with somewhat dated methods/technology so it just doesnt stand up with its 1176 competitors these days (imo atleast)
    If i was working at Waves, id work on re-working their emulations, having a legacy version and a new one for each plugin, also re-designing them with high resolution interface and mechanics - cus their sales is lowkey the only thing that keeps them alive and they know it

21. The Revenant

Yeah, SAAS is PITA. Even more for us who are using warez and needs to be disconnected from the net. Roland Cloud is also insanely CPU intensive, that's true. But musically speaking, I've recently listen to a real Roland J8 next to its software counterpart in a friend's studio and I can assure you that Roland Cloud kills Arturia's emulation.
    Better filters?... Is that means TAE was not... er... so "True"?... :rofl:
    Glad you've admit it :wink: