Arturia and all them damn Files

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Atlantis84, Nov 1, 2023.

1. Atlantis84

Atlantis84 Platinum Record

Why do Arturia Analog Lab it feels so clunky compared to Omnisphere and Nexus im starting to think the files they have is a nightmare ........i do like the sounds that Analog lab has but they need some maintenance badly

Omnisphere feels more smooth and has way more files and not as clucky explain that

is it the png files that make Analog Lab feel clunky ?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. 2poor2

2poor2 Producer

It's not far from 1 million files, and tens of thousands of folders.
    It truly hurts watching all those files wasting those precious M.2 gigabytes and R/W cycles...

One of the workarounds would be:
    1- deleting the zoom levels that will never be used, like 30%... 300%... etc etc
    2- slightly compressing the image files (going from 100% to 90 or even 80% quality is barely visible, but takes up much less space
    3- activating the native windows file compression: cpus and m.2 drives are so fast, decompressing files is instantaneous

Will Arturia annonce one day ' next version x, will be vector based, and each plug-in will only take a few megabytes of space'....?
    I'm sure a ton of people would buy the upgrade, just to get rid of that '1 million files ' installation.
    Is beyond ridiculous. There is absolutely nothing, in 2023, that justifies such crap. If we could visit a few audio companies, we would probably see a bunch of arturia memes.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 5
    • List
  4. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Either they are lazy idiots, or they hate us. I really can't come up with another explanation.
    (Or both, I suppose.)

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

I won't install their stuff in my personal production computer. Take the Prophet-VS V for example. I picked it at random. Putting aside the fact that I personally think it sounds like turds (as I think most of their synths do), according to their website you need "3GB free hard disk space" to install this turd monster. Maybe it's actually smaller, IDK, but it's still absurd imo.

6. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

I agree with most of the sentiments on here.

I have nothing against Arturia or the way their software sounds.

I just don't like the waste of space and the loading times. Different horses for different courses, just because I don't enjoy it or am bothered by something doesn't imply that others should be though,

7. ElectroCity

ElectroCity Ultrasonic

their synths are sluggish as f..., that's why i don't use them. analog lab is overrated. 95% trash presets. but usynth is far more bigger trash than analog lab. feels like you are in the stone age when using arturia synths. slow, full of bugs and shit sounding in the most cases.

their effect plugins are ok.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  8. clone

clone Audiosexual

Their effects certainly are ok. The synths are good if you pick out a couple to install from V Collection by themselves. Or Analog Lab with whatever that version came with. When you start mixing Analog Lab and V Collection synths with other individually released Synth updates is where it gets really screwed up. They load slow as hell compared to other virtual synths. It especially does not help if you install a million Presets from VR to go along with their million bitmap images.

I never use them in the middle of making a track. I either start with one so I can just bounce it. Or I will add one at the much later stages, because I won't have to deal with it for all that long. As bad as they are, Diva is still worse.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Right? I saw in a comment on another site that translated to "Why does it look like Im hacking the Pentagon just installing this..." lol :)

10. RachProko

RachProko Producer

Sluggish or clunky? I don't even care much about that. If something is good quality I don't really mind if takes some more time to load than other synths? And it's not that I dislike the Arturia V collection and Analogue lab. It does offers a good quality of sound. I just seldom seem to actually end up using them in my music? It all sounds fairly good stand alone but as soon as I try to put them into a mix it just doesn't sit well most of the time? So most of the time I end up using something else.

I must say, as an owner of an original Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 Rev.3.3 synth, the Arturia Prophet-5 V emulation is not bad at all! The factory sounds come really close to the real thing!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

The last time I tried an Arturia V Collection install.. I got as far as the Prophet VS and realised it didn't stand for Vector Synthesis, but Virtually Stopped, as that is what happened to my computer!

12. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

This. This is what bothers me and boggles me with Arturia synths. Aside from having a million GUI files. Somebody there should learn how to program GUIs. They've been around for quite a while, so it's puzzling how they keep stubbornly making their installation files bigger and bigger. Can't they use OpenGL and vectors like 90% of everybody else?

Regarding sound, processing through some saturation plugins and/or external hardware helps make them sound more mix ready. Still, I like u-he synths sound more, and I stopped using Arturia quite a while ago.

13. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I can't ever, after in the past trying out each of their soft synths, find a way to justify the huge hit on both memory allocation and what others have termed their soft synths "slugishness". Never would I plunk down cold hard cash in support of such monstrosities. On the other hand, I adore their hardware and have a Polybrute, Drumbrute Impact as well as a Keystep 37 and even an older SparkLE. The four that I have direct hands on experience with are innovative and such fun to work with, spark creativuty and sound like a dream. I liken to the company a bit schizophrenic, the hard and the soft personalies sharing only the body they inhabit, their personalities divergent and vastly different from each other in regard to fit of function. It's a shame.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. BlackHaze1986

BlackHaze1986 Rock Star

If they switch to vector base i will come back to Analog Lab, but until than i avoid all Arturia Stuff (even the ones i bought some time ago).
    Installation takes forever and f**** the SSD's lifecycle.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. clone

clone Audiosexual

that little ribbon roll/fill controller strip might be the most fun/useful individual feature on a drum machine for a long while. it's not just altering the sound, but actually sending the midi output that has been modified with it.

EFX Motions is a very nice creative plugin, for a change. It's not an emulation of anything. It's like a nicer version of Shaperbox. i haven't used 3.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

No. They're just French... :rofl:

Te truth is that Arturia don't care about their customers. This is a very long time complain, with a known solution, and they've done nothing.
    Some of their hardware was made with bad plastic that becomes "crunchy" over time and they refuse to send new parts to their own support representative (i have one of these)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

Their hardware is pretty good I grant ya that. I do like my Minilab 3

18. Zoketula

Zoketula Guest

The Buchla Easel is fun and afaik the only available emulation, but minus-points for CPU hogging and startup "Aturia Software Center" that lingers in the background.

19. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

That's close to being racist. Comment under investigation. :hahaha:

20. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

even if they gave everything away for free i wouldn't try to reinstall that kind of garbage again.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  21. JEPasCP1

JEPasCP1 Member

Arturia have the best feats in sound, but in terms of UI they are overexaggerated, it was like 75% of the storage came from rasterized graphics so that's why my GPU usage is like hell, and they don't bother to add the feature of turning off animation to save power significantly.