Artist's Tools {POST YOUR ART WORKSTATION & TOOLS HERE}

Discussion in 'Our Art' started by A Ghost On The Moon, Nov 2, 2019.

1. A Ghost On The Moon

A Ghost On The Moon Producer

Alright, here we go. Don't roast my messy floor too hard. Wanted to make a thread where artists could come together and share their tools of the trade and workstation setups.
    [​IMG]

Here's my "workstation" for art.
    1. The general most used tools. I keep my sketching pencils, charcoals, inking pens, blending paper thingies, pencil sharpeners and erasers ECT
    2. My light box, I enjoy being able to make iterations of artwork without having to use digital means. Also I wanted to be able to work on some hand drawn animation stuff.
    3. This is a binder clip I hot glued to my "workstation" it is holding a generic "craft pouch" I got from Walmart, they are great for holding certain things. The one that's hanging there are all my general paintbrushes
    4. Under my "workstation" I have a bin that holds my watercolor supplies and colored pencil supplies, this back part of it is where i keep the bigger brushes that aren't used often alongside with my palette and watercolor pencils
    5. This is where I keep my colored pencils organized in soft-core/hardcore leads
    [​IMG]
    1. Where I keep sharpeners extra erasers blendy sticks and charcoal sticks
    2. The Top layer of my "sketching" tin is all of my charcoal pencils
    3. This cheap generic pencil box off amazon holds all the things I would pack in my bug out bag for the art apocalypse
    4. The bottom layer of my "sketching" tin is all of my graphite pencils

3. A Ghost On The Moon

[​IMG]
    1. My Inking Pens for general line-work
    2. Electric eraser erasers
    3. Electric eraser
    4. Classic old block eraser
    5. .5mm auto sharpening mechanical pencil 2H graphite
    6. .5mm auto sharpening mechanical pencil 2B graphite
    7. Kneadable eraser
    8. Xacto Z-series blade num 1 with safety cap(Seriously has saved my ass multiple times)
    9. Safe disposal and storage for exacto blades
    Let me know if anyone wants me to go more in depth

4. A Ghost On The Moon

5. A Ghost On The Moon

[​IMG]
    1. Where I keep my printer paper, legal paper, and card stock
    2. My magic grade-school teacher paper guillotine (sometimes i gotta cut like 30 sheets of printer paper to a certain aspect ratio){was obtained from goodwill for $5 these are normally super duper expensive)

6. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

7. A Ghost On The Moon

I used to be a lot into digital art, I have a wacom tablet to mess with, but i get some satisfaction from working at a desk with my hands on psychical mediums, how do you tend to import your sketches? with a scanner?

8. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

These days I just take a photo with my phone. I'm not precious about sketches since they're just going to be worked over digitally.

I hear you about working with physical mediums. I worked as a professional illustrator over 20 years, the majority of it as a traditional artist. I'm not much for nostalgia in regards to creating art with traditional mediums and but there is something a bit more gratifying about it. But I dont think I could ever go back 100%. I don't miss working with hazardous chemicals, dirty fingernails or the inflexibility of reworking an illustration if a client didn't sign off on it. Working digitally just changed so much for the industry. Timelines got shorter, rendering got faster and creative ideas that were once impossible to put together in a traditional manner became incredibly easy to achieve.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

There're very good graphic tablets (nowadays when I say that most people goes "you mean an iPad?" lol) but are expensive as shit. And even with those traditional drawing (not to mention painting) is still superior.
    Of course, very soon that's gonna get digital so they are worth the price on many companies.

10. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

I dont think theyre terribly expensive. A couple hundred bucks for something youre going to be using daily is money well spent IMO. Ive owned several Wacom tablets in the past and I'm considering upgrading to a Cintiq 16 in the near future. As far as Wacom goes, it is in the higher price range of tablets, but having compared lower priced alternatives, I feel the quality justifies the price.

I disagree that traditional drawing is superior. Its just a means to an end. Its like saying the best way to make music is with only hardware. Traditional or digital, the only the thing that matters is what you do with it.

11. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

the photo realism that old masters did was phenomenal...back then when the paint was fresh they were even better..

but art is art...todays pens,pencils, markers,brushs and cans are outstanding...a lot of crazy nerd3000 art out there which you never will see in a puplic building

12. A Ghost On The Moon

Please try to keep the topic of this thread sharing your process and or tools instead of opinionated statements with no actual content of said tools or process

13. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

Photorealism isnt exclusive to old masters. Its been a style thats been carried on for centuries well into modern times. Also, comparing old masters to modern artists, regardless of their skill level is a bit obtuse. Modern artists don't have the luxury of time as the old masters did. Nor can you compare the type of commissioned work from either era coequally. The art of today is held to a lesser standard than it did during the Renaissance. Much of the art we see today is of a commercial nature and to an extent disposable because it fits within the context of our times. Regardless, there is an incredible amount of modern art of equal quality that can be found in literally thousands of public and private galleries all around the world. Take a look at works by Nerdrum, David Kassan, Jenny Saville, Richard Estes, Denis Peterson, Chuck Close, Diego Fazio... these are just a few.

14. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

thx for the names..
    i kno.... from cans and airbrush and such...all the coca cola pictures on the automates are air brush
    shitty compare with commerz stuff but seems all these water drips and stuff isnt able to photograph like to spray paint...

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019