Artificial, I'm so happy to have decided to put it an end!

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by Rolma, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Rolma

Rolma Guest

This is my latest track I have been busy with.

I'm glad to have decided to finish it, not because the work is finished …nah, far from that, it is because I'm starting to guess that to work with audio is a really tricky biz…

The more I dig into production the more awareness I might gain of my personal limitations and the worth of work of other people around.

If you consider to give it a listen and comment the stuff, I would be very happy to know what you think.

• Like Like x 9
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  3. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

This is not really my type of music. So I really cannot comments on it.

4. Thankful

Thankful Rock Star

Rolma you've created a wonderful atmosphere - it would work perfectly in a movie or a TV documentary about artificial intelligence, robots etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

not my style either, but very interesting atmosphere
    and A beautiful frequency balance.

6. Nice work. I love the textural weave you have woven. It actually scarred me a little what with all those artificial creatures zooming all around me. I felt as though I was the artificial one, the odd one out in the world you created. Artificial is Real.

7. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

It remember some 80's track of Laurie Anderson. It's like turning back to the past. :drummer::chilling:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

how about doing some singing Rols.. ? :winker:

9. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Uhm, what is this? Generative music?

10. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Weird in a nice way, I like it
    Too bad for the ending: It sounds like it's switching off suddenly.

11. foster911

foster911 Guest

I love Avant garde term. Could you please explain a bit more about this? The aftermath of recent break-up or joining ISIS or what?
    Thanks!:wink:

12. abletonmax

abletonmax Ultrasonic

Loved the first 60 seconds. Lots of interesting polyrhythms. Got a bit repetitive after that.

13. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Has a nice modern jazz feeling to it....... I like it :like:

14. focusrite

focusrite Platinum Record

Needs more than one listen but something about the piano's tone seems way too fake and upfront to me, intended? The rhythm section is nice and glued maybe push the piano into the back more and get it to sit better imo.

15. santillana

santillana Kapellmeister

If you get the right singer/songwriter for example Björk it would be an amazing track.

16. freerider197

freerider197 Noisemaker

like it

17. DieM

DieM Rock Star

Well put together.
    Very Jazzy
    Spacialy interesting
    A wee bit loud/aggressive maybe but that's only my taste.
    I like how it's dis-associative and broken up.
    I'm in the process of constructing a song called Humanoid
    and may borrow a couple of ideas from your track if that's okay?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  18. Rolma

Rolma Guest

Hi guys thanks for the listening and feedback.

Well the track is called artificial because when I was working on the piano chords, I clearly realized that traditional instrument sounds are very tricky to work with, if you pretend to vaguely give to your track some sort of realism. Since there is a huge tradition on pianos, too huge in fact, I went for artificiality :winker::winker::winker::winker::winker: ( I love this cheeky emoticon)

When I decided to give this track a final call, I was conscious of the extreme presence of the piano. I blame my way to overdrive the signal as means of achieving suitable loudness; similarly I’ve enhanced certain freq ranges where a lot of the stuff is hit together.

In this track, since I seemed to have 2 options, burying the piano or fronting the piano, I took the latter. Although after reading your feedback, I think I’m going to sit once more sorting out the presence of the piano. Unfortunately, I also have an aggressive model of music in my head, so when I have to deal with styles going more harmonious, I struggle, because my tendency is to feel the sound as an urge to output something quick, dirty and blunt!

Referring to influences, I'm now listening a lot Chris Clark, and for the jazzy vibe there are pieces from the Necks that have impressed me deeply. Laurie Anderson, I wouldn’t say is my choice, at least my conscious one. I maybe listened her one or two times in my life, but I guess it might be a sort of compliment.

The addition of more formal vocals has been in my mind. I have even recorded few takes of me singing, but once the production evolved, I didn’t quite find the spot for it.

I don’t deny the weight of melancholy and frustration in my creative process. I sometimes think that creativity is a way of getting in contact with emotions that it would be very complicate to explain otherwise. Although, I can track my disappointment as early as my school days when the workload started to be overwhelming, and the results were ever so poor.

I have my issues on meritocracy too; it’s like a mantra that I think many might share, and a personal sad joke.

No problem if someone borrows ideas, ideas come and go, what would make the difference is the skill to produce them nicely.

For the rest, imagination is a nice dimension, we all have.

Peace!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2015
  19. foster911

foster911 Guest

Artificial = Dissonant? :bleh:

20. Rolma

Rolma Guest

There is a sense of covering things with lots of light flares and call it effect ....

:dunno::dunno::dunno:

I don’t know ....

artificial = insincerity ? ( simulation )
    in a way, so open.

21. DrumcodeX

DrumcodeX Platinum Record

Really love it!
    Amazing track :wink: