Article 13 and 11 just defined the future of EU internet

Discussion in 'Internet for Musician' started by Andrew, Mar 26, 2019.

1. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

new zealand analysis videos are removed from youtube..

a dark future we are facing

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. ddoctor

ddoctor Kapellmeister

You people are only proving you own nothing with any value. That's why you don't give a f... about this - but you are right - why fight the apocalypse when you can simply enjoy it. This is why so many have left this site in the late months.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. EAR TO LEARN

EAR TO LEARN Producer

So seeing as Britain (where I'm from) is leaving the EU, does this affect me? Used to follow politics but it gave me a headache...If someone could simplify it for me, I'd appreciate it :wink:

4. Nana Banana

Nana Banana Guest

At that point it would be wise for SAiNT to make this a trusted members only forum locked up with a password. That would be too bad, but protect SAiNT and everyone else in the long run :unsure: I'm actually really shocked that vote went through, and at the same time knew that something like this would happen on the web someday. This really sucks for me personally. I do business with people in Europe all the time, and I believe this is going to get in the way.

5. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Anything that restricts the internet affects every user directly or collaterally. In this case, the regulation may not even affect websites in the UK but what about the sites that you visit outside the UK? On the other hand, the UK is not out of the water yet.
    In the past, the UK has adopted other European-wide digital legislation such as the General Data Protection Regulation, and similarly could decide to adopt Article 13.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. EAR TO LEARN

EAR TO LEARN Producer

Alot of things to look into for me I suppose. Granted any censorship on the internet sucks with the exception of graphic abuse videos and things of that nature. I'm a bit of a simpleton in terms of legislation and such but I hope that things pan out well for us guys...

Perhaps you should build us a boat big enough for a recording studio and we can all live out our days there! :winker:

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  7. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

That idea has crossed my mind too many times in the last 20 years :like:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. EAR TO LEARN

EAR TO LEARN Producer

It also may be worth noting guys that 'article 13' has been renamed to 'article 17' no clue why, as I said in one of my earlier posts, I'm a bit of a simpleton

• List
  9. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

I don't know much about legalize. if not IT related, but do know that bills get their names changed or "swallowed" by another bill all the time.

10. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

It is not likely to be enforced on a national level,
    for at least the netherlands, and France (who actualy is making a gesture to Germany) that is.

Germany however is likely to enforce starting tommorow:rofl:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Yes, a lot of people still don't understand these things. Internet has no borders, and there are no countries. We're all connected. The ruling class never liked it, and never will. It goes against their obsessive compulsive control thingie they've been practising for a good while.

Anything that censors the Internet in any way is bad. Plus, people who decide the future of the Internet are incredibly dumb about the Internet. So the people who want to change the Internet hire guys who know what should be done, and get it implemented through persuasion and bribing of those dumb ones. It is easy. Internet is a threat to society as it was/is. They want it back. They don't want *anarchy* and Internet is anarchy. That's why I love it. And not just me. That's why all of you love it, don't you? :wink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Nah, you just don't like politics. Shake hands. :wink:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  13. G String

G String Rock Star

From NYT:

"The law requires Google and other websites with more than five million unique monthly visitors to make their “best effort” to receive authorization from the owner of copyrighted content, or take steps to keep the material from being shared on its sites altogether. European policymakers added exemptions to allow for quotations, criticism, parody and artistic interpretation."

Personally I am ambivalent - I don't see why Google et al should make money off other peoples' work. And let's be fair, they make an awful lot of money. It's quite easy to see this EU move as a positive for content producers, and an attempt to make Google and FB etc more accountable.

Re UK and EU aspect: there is no certainty as of yet whether UK will leave EU, and certainly none on any future relationship. If UK leaves in 2 weeks without a Withdrawal Agreement, then provisionally no EU law will apply (existing UK law derived from EU law will remain as UK law).

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  14. vladimir guerrero

vladimir guerrero Kapellmeister

Politics nauseates me too. I know it's the ugliest but most important thing I could be doing, and so, of course I have an unhealthy attraction to it. It's like being addicted to Ipecac.

Include economics -- generalize to political economy-- and now you've added castor oil to the mix. Can't get enough of this soul food, folks!

15. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Today, the most powerful weapon that exist is not a nuclear bomb. It is the internet. There is not any other weapon that can reach every single confine and person of of our planet as effectively as the internet does. I, therefore, think that the next big war is not going to be over physical space but cyberspace. Governments will fight its own citizenry which will rebel against restrictions. Countries will fight one another over control of the internet....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

That is correct BUT there is nothing that could keep the UK from adopting it, or simply drafting its own version of it. In fact, I guarantee you that in the US and other non-European countries individuals and special interest groups already are salivating over the potential for passage of similar legislature in their respective. This has just begun.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

:wtf:

18. G String

G String Rock Star

Sure. But as it's a generally positive thing I suspect UK wouldn't do it.

The 5m hits a month is a significant threshold. Anything reaching that level is having a significant impact, so why shouldn't such sites reach agreement with content producers and be obliged to "pay" or remove stuff that is being "stolen"? Why should the site owners get the dough and not the content producers? If the site isn't dependent on 3rd party content then they won't miss not having it. And if they do miss it, then they should reach accommodation with the producers? Seems a fair principle imo. I think the fears are overblown.

19. vladimir guerrero

vladimir guerrero Kapellmeister

I need to keep coming back to this forum. It makes me feel a bit less crazy in my day-to-day life. Thanks for being a generous, interesting, and good-spirited bunch.

Have any of you considered starting some kind of online collective that can coordinate attacks against stuff like this? 30 people from the internet, working together, will have a far greater impact than individually waiting to cast your feeble vote for the lesser vampires. Anyway, o many of the actors waging these wars against the masses aren't even publicly elected. Either way, they can all still be pressured, exposed, lambasted, hit with righteous propaganda....

Everyone votes on an issue. That issue is researched and criticized, and then comes the coordinated attack. Letters, blogs, boots-on-the-ground protest, and in all seriousness: artful and truthful propaganda. Does anyone have interest in this? Anyone want to make propaganda or try to inject some sanity into popular music for the masses? It would be nice to succeed where punk rock failed.

I hope I don't sound too naive, but what's the alternative?

20. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

That is how Article 13 has been promoted. Basically about bringing fairness to the digital market by promoting licensing solutions between platforms and rights holders. However, in reality there is much more involved in its passing than mere copyrights.
    Germany and France struck a deal, under which the former would lend its support to the Copyright Directive if the latter supported a loophole in the new EU Gas Directive allowing the German-backed Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline to Russia to go ahead.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019