Ariel Pink sound possible in digital?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by SmugFlash, Apr 23, 2016.

1. SmugFlash

SmugFlash Noisemaker

Here are some great examples of how Ariel Pink literally sounds like he recorded in the 60s/early-70s. Is getting this sound recording using a modest preamp possible in a DAW? I'm thinking Nebula might be able to offer something, but not really sure where to start with Nebula.

3. Rasputin

Rasputin Platinum Record

A lot of getting a '60s/'70s sound is actually RECORDING. In other words, instrument through air, through mic, through pre-amp, through desk and to tape.

Try rolling off some highs, try using only one or two reverb sends (instead of an insert on every track) to put everything in the same "space" or better yet, actually put everything in the same space.

Just some ideas.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. SmugFlash

SmugFlash Noisemaker

Yeah, I agree, it des sound as though it's actually recorded that way, I should be more clear, i WOULD be recording real drums, bass, guitar, vocals, etc, not using sample libraries, but it would be nice to have some way of emulating the tape/preamp/desk sound this effectively.

5. lexeed

lexeed Platinum Record

Hope you post a sample when you're done.

6. AwDee.0

AwDee.0 Kapellmeister

i don't think so but, try all the tape sats available???

7. erminardi

erminardi Kapellmeister

http://buy.soundcitymovie.com/
    this documentary explains why it's not possible, still today, do properly a certain sound without real analog.
    period.

8. graphixsounds

graphixsounds Newbie

i would question why you would want to make music that sounds like its from the 1960's/70's/80's, when its 2016. then i would question why you would want to sound like someone else.

9. inusable

inusable Producer

10. Rasputin

Rasputin Platinum Record

I don't think that's a fair assessment. Why abandon recording techniques/styles/results of the past when they're still viable as an aesthetic choice? I don't see that referencing someone from the modern era achieving the desired sound is necessarily wanting to "sound like someone else" insofar as artist integrity goes, although I can't speak to the OP's intent, of course.

If we're sticking to such arguments, one could say that anyone that started recording on analog 4-track was trying to sound like The Beatles. Although given the prestige of The Beatles, that's probably more often true than not :) Lots of sounds can be recontextualized without falling into clone territory.

Sure, buying an Emu SP1200 might indicate you're chasing the boom-bap sound because you're a Pete Rock wannabe, but you could also be Ben Langmaid in the making too.

Besides, I don't think the recording techniques of an entire decade/era paints with that heavy a brush. Does The Mamas and Papas sound like a ripoff of Les Paul?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  11. Rasputin

Rasputin Platinum Record

If you've got Waves (just a convenient option, folks) try NLS/HLS with Kramer Tape/J37.

12. Try this

http://www.tinymixtapes.com/features/ariel-pink ...just a smidgen of info, but....

I am always both disgusted and blindly impressed by his work and almost never want to hear a song a second time, but at the same time feel that I must look again, something like my relationship to Mapplethorpe's homo-erotic photographs. This video of Ariel Pink's "Picture Me Gone" is one of those pieces of artistic brillence that I both love and hate at the same time, but I certainly do not love to hate it, I guess I more hate to love it. Fuck.

13. starkid84

starkid84 Producer

Yes it can be done. Anyone who tells you you can't, just doesn't know how. Bottom line is this: the sound that you're after is really just the result of relatively lo-fi recording equipment of the time. Any modern (prosumer grade or greater) recording equipment/interface is going to record a signal that is significantly more accurate and pristine.

Basically there are two ways to get this sound:

1. This is what I call The "Experiential/Artisan route". Get the same or similar equipment that was used, and employ similar recording and mixing techniques. (A.K.A old dirty gear, and outdated/vintage recording & mixing techniques).

2. Emulate the sound, with clever (and creative use) of EQ slopes, distortion/saturation, and analog modeled plugins.

A skillful approach or good combination of either of the techniques above, will get you in the same sonic ballpark as what your attempting to emulate. It may take some research and learning some new skills or techniques. The overarching point is that it CAN absolutely be done in your daw relatively easily, with the right plugins and mixing techniques.

Nebula is good, but there are plenty of other plugins that will get you there too. Nebula might even be overkill for you if you're not familiar with the fundamentals.

14. SmugFlash

SmugFlash Noisemaker

Yeah, I think it should be possible, it's just getting that really soft, dull-but-not-muffled, lo-fi-but-not-bitcrushed-or-low-samplerate, saturated-but-not-distorted sound is really difficult in digital, I've been trying for years and the closest I can ever get is using guitar amp emulation, but that's not perfect and often adds too many even harmonics for it to sound good. The key idea is getting it to sound like a regular recording from the late 60s rather than a lofi recording, and I think those examples I gave perfectly illustrate this, the rest of his catalog tends to go between truly lofi and some more modern sounding production.