Ariana Grande POV Intro Synth

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by Moogerfooger, Sep 21, 2021.

1. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

From purely musical point of view, it sounds like three instruments playing in sync, with short decays and sound FX then a soft pad behind it.

If I attempted to recreate it I would probably choose a hand pan, kalimba and a Wurlitzer electric piano with a short decay together balanced. Then a fluty synthesised ethereal string like pad comes in with it then more....
    Listening closely, the noise behind it in the beginning sounds like wind with rain falling in puddles.

2. idk what my name is

idk what my name is Newbie

i’ve been looking for that but mostly does anyone know where i can find that synth choir type bell in ariana grandes “r.e.m” it plays through the whole song if anyone can help on where i can find a vst that has that sound it’s produced by pharrell

3. lxfsn

lxfsn Platinum Record

Depends on how long the obsession lasts. Thing is, the producers don’t think “forward” as in “man I have this sound on my head to mix a filtered marimba with a water droplet”. They just stumble on sounds from packs, they try fx on them, or synth presets and modify them. And when they have “that” piece of sound, they make the song around it. But is mostly endless experimentation.

When we try to deconstruct we tend to forget that initial process was not necessarily desired, but was just the outcome of specific circumstances.

so yes, the time spent essentially figuring out someone elses struck of luck can be used way more peoductive. If you’re sound designer and make sample packs and presets I’d cut you some slack. But if you’re primarily music producer, then this chase of “that sound” is ridiculous unless solved in couple of hours tops.

4. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

lol ya I feel you on find it in a few hours or move the hell on... But I still every once in a while try to find the preset. I've found other famous presets just by stumbling onto them in the past & was wondering/hoping somebody here might have found this one in particular.

5. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Resurrecting the thread once again... Playing around w/Omnisphere. Best guess I have right now is the intro pluck is a modified version of the Omnisphere preset Cave Stalactites. Messing around w/the water sample envelop & filter in that patch sounds super close to the Ari intro. The main mallet sample is definitely not it, but the timbre & attack/decay properties are there. I still think the pluck part is synthesized & not a real mallet sample...

6. chedeezymakeiteasy

chedeezymakeiteasy Newbie

You could try gating/ side-chaining a water sample to a similar synth so it triggers only when the chord plays, I think someone had mentioned RC-20, something like what that does

7. chedeezymakeiteasy

chedeezymakeiteasy Newbie

Just seen you want the 'real deal' though, Have you checked analog lab banks? ones that sample-makers use.. Loophole 3 might be a good start

8. kags

kags Member

@Moogerfooger i think this one is pretty close if you edit it, the good thing about Omni is that you can layer things really nice and make velocity sensitive so if you push harder the water will come nicely, hope this help. [​IMG]\m/

Attached Files:

9. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Lowpassed Mbira and reverb. Add transient designer to attenuate transient/attack, if needed. It's layered with a synth (pad-ish) that has portamento/glide.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2024
  10. Melodic Reality

Melodic Reality Rock Star

If I would go into whole that notion that this is done entirely using one instance of something, I would definitely look into that Serenity plugin which have those noises as oscillators.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2024
  11. DontKnowJack

DontKnowJack Producer

Don't go chasin' waterfalls
    Please stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to
    I know that you're gonna have it your way or nothing at all
    But I think you're moving too fast in the wrong direction.

Why do you think the only possible answer is a single preset? The water and the pluck are most likely two separate tracks.