Are you as excited/impatient as me for V3 beta

Discussion in 'BitWig' started by Maitreya, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Maitreya

Maitreya Ultrasonic

Im checking everywhere online daily, even though i know it will pop up on insta or whatever soon as it does drop. I log in to my user account daily just incase. Cant wait to try out the grid.

Interesting how companies anounce things way in advance now - guess its a lot more competitive than it used to me. Hopefully they dont do a NI tho, they are the worst for the old bait and switch anouncements.

Bitwig devs seem cool though, i know they said Q2 so could be anywhere up to June, but im sure they said the Beta would be out shortly after NAMM...

3. wouala woualouf

wouala woualouf Platinum Record

Looks like Bitwig isn't very well known by the masses. .. very few people actually know it...
    Bitwig is basically a live on steroids, with a much better looking interface, tons of modulations, etc etc.
    The only difference :
    THANKS to piracy, hundreds of thousands of users were able to try LIVE, start their music career , talk about it to other people, and eventually, buy it, after making dozens and dozens of projects on that daw.

Meanwhile, bitwig, excepting those who could buy it, very few were able to 'try' it... as the only cracked version was, i think, the v1.2 or 1.3 !

It's funny, bitwig uses no dongle, no c/r... and yet no groups were able to crack it after the v1.2 !
    Bitwig is fully coded in java, i think. Probably 99.9% of the devs work on c++, and they eventually learn some java code. There are very few people who absolutely master the java language, and probably, in the Warez scene, nobody has the advanced java skills required to circumvent some crazy copy protection algorithms.
    was the choice of using java as main langage on purpose, because they knew bitwig would stand a chance to resist to most attacks ?

For sure, Live and flstudio wouldn't be what they are today, WITHOUT piracy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. peterA

peterA Platinum Record

Don't know about the cracking side but I think Bitwig made a big mistake by introducing a yearly subscription - £137/159euro/$169. For that you get all updates for the year but considering most of them are endless beta versions it's hardly good value for money. I paid one subscription but got nothing of much value over the year so I'm not upgrading anymore. If I wanted version 3 (which I don't) I would have to pay £137 for it, which is way more than most other companies charge for a major upgrade, and there would still be no guarantee I would see it in that year.

I remember the introduction of this subscription was not popular and I think that is probably why Bitwig has not taken off in the way it could have.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Vizo

Vizo Kapellmeister

And it is true a little expensive, 167 eurs for a year.
    But the update is continuous and always full of news.
    I bought the 2.0 and 2.4 ages almost a major relise.
    I'm in 2.4.3 I haven't renewed my season ticket for the 2.5 I missed for a while.
    I will do it at the first promotion after the release of 3.0.
    I hope to get up to 3.5.
    The releases are set to not allow two major releases.
    Compared to cubase: 9.0 100 euro plus 70 euro for the 9.5 we are online.
    Reason 10 127 euro I hope to have 10.5.
    The comparison is with upgrades for not cracked software .
    It's very creative but I have difficulty finalizing, it seems like it's always possible to do better.
    Too many possibilities are a drag.
    Maybe it's my fault.
    Excuse my English google.

6. Maitreya

Maitreya Ultrasonic

Wouala thats a good point about the piracy leading to exposure and uptake of the other platforms. And your point on the coding, i dont know much about that stuff, but i have read discussions elsewhere about how good the bitwig devs are at what they do. Seemingly small things like how the program handles plug ins etc. I must say im inclined to believe it, as i find its a real pleasure to work with once you got through the lerning curve (which is half the fun and adventure right?).

PeterA, thats another good point. I followed the discussions regarding it at the time it was announced. I was on V1.6 and was dissapointed as felt that i hadnt gelled with the prog but saw its potential and wanted to grow with it. I held off updating for a few years then finally bit in Dec there as they had a sale on upgrades. I must say i think i got value for money as the jump from 1.6 to 2.4 (then a month later 2.5) was good. 2.5 definatly doesnt disapoint and i absolutely love the modulation, pretty much the whole thing im a big fan of. With 3 around the corner i think ive bagged a few decent upgrades - but i do feel your sentiment about the constant beta. I had that thought myself through 2.4 - 2.5. Still, i do rate the over all program. I cant see me upgrading every year though, i still dont like the format of not subscription subscription. I think your right that will have turned a lot of potential customers awy.

Vizo, no need to be excused, i get you loud and clear. Reason is my other DAW of choice too - I like the propellerheads team and think they are really upping their game, a few hiccups along the way, but on reflection the growth of the platform has been awsome (ive used since v2). I see the reason and bitwig upgrade paths compared a lot but im not sure they are that similar - maybe they are. I always tell myself ill hold off reason upgrades but when they come along i always bite instantly haha - I do really like the program. And back to Bitwig, I have struggled with finalizing stuff too - for me im still trying to gell with the mix section and mixing and finalising tracks. I have done it, but i just find im so much better at it in reason (which may just be ive used it longer). I think you mean though that there is so much to do in bitwig, and id agree. I love their synths and as i said i love the modulators. You can get so creative with processing i can see how it would become easy to never end. Im getting some real dynamic sounding tracks with it just now. Love the audio sidechain modulator just now.

Thanks for the responses guys, i hope bitwig can continue to grow, as i do think it has so much potential. I think its slept on by a lot of people, it really is sleek. Ha ha, i could go on and on about it. For the reasons above and more, i cant wait to try the grid. I know its a bit underwhelming for some, but for that to be built into a daw is exciting. I know live has max, but i can imagine that the btwig devs have worked their magic and it will be really sleek and snappy to use. It took me a whole to get into their synths, but now i know them i really think the Phase4 and polysynth and amazing, especially if you get creative with the fx and modulators. Bitwig is one of the first daws ive used where i can easily find myself doing most of a track with all stock plugs. Amplify that with the grid an im so excited haha