Are there any book on Bitwig that more than just a basic into to DAW?

Discussion in 'BitWig' started by JMOUTTON, Mar 13, 2022.

1. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

So I bough some hardware that came with a lisc. for Bitwig Studio.

I want to play around with it a bit but 1) I hate watching tutorial videos 2) It seems to be a complex piece of software 3) I am not looking to spend an hour trying to figure out how to do anything every time i want to do something 4) I can read and retain things ten times faster without all the useless chatter and rehash that plagues all videos.

So I am looking for an recommendations on a comprehensive book about Bitwig medium to advanced workflow. I am going through the manual right now but it's a bit dry so some secondary source when I am done would be great reinforcement.

I am not really looking to replace my current DAWs, just figure I have this and if I am going to play around with it I might as well understand it.

IDC about the language I would prefer English but I can also read in Spanish, Italian, Portuguese or German well enough to get by if the book is good and thorough. I would prefer a hard copy but searches on Amazon and at the local booksellers come back with nothing or a basic explanation of what a DAW is and that's not what I am looking for.

3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

The Bitwig Handbook written by Dave Linnenbank [ENGLISH]
    http://davelinnenbank.com/media/pdfs/Linnenbank - Bitwig Studio User Guide English v2.0.pdf
    The Bitwig Handbook written by Baphometrix [ENGLISH]
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XRd6Y_u8HuAo8PvnY4AzLMX7PoikIhUoqHM4ABgxumI/edit
    In the age of video tutorials, it's hard to sell a printed book.
    Today's generation hardly reads anymore. It's no longer worthwhile for publishers.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
  4. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

Might be something interesting burried in there. The other link is the just the manual/user's guide which I already have as it came with the software.

Yes, it's getting harder to find books on things like this and that is sad for those of us who don't want to spend 3 hours watching a video for something we could have learned in 15 minutes if it was in print.

Thank you.

5. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Earlier when you bought a software synthesizer from Arturia (for 99 EUR) you got a nice box, a plastic customer card,
    a manual with 128 strings - English , French and Japanese, plus the installation DVD !

This is all gone - there is only one click download for cost saving.
    Producing a video and uploading it to YouTube for free cost very little !

German
    www.bonedo.de/artikel/bitwig-studio-tutorial-1-basics-fuer-einsteiger-und-beginner/
    www.bonedo.de/artikel/bitwig-studio-tutorial-2-midi-controller-und-remote-controls/
    www.bonedo.de/artikel/bitwig-studio-tutorial-3-synths-spielen-tweaken/
    www.bonedo.de/artikel/bitwig-studio-tutorial-4-die-masterkeyboard-workstation/
    www.bonedo.de/artikel/bitwig-workshop-tutorial-5-diy-wavetable-synth/
    www.bonedo.de/artikel/bitwig-studio-tutorial-fuer-einsteiger-und-fortgeschrittene/

6. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

Your links are swapped! The first one is the one from Baphometrix and the second one is the Bitwig User Guide by Dave Linnenbank.

If you don't know about Baphometrix, he has a great YouTube channel as well. Mostly about drum & bass and other heavy bass music, but he has some great videos about mastering clippers and how to master for loudness. You could say he is the antithesis to Dan Worrall when it comes to the loudness war ;D

7. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Thanks @Arabian_jesus, for the tip, I have corrected it !

8. Griff

Griff Noisemaker

Best Answer
    "I am going through the manual right now but it's a bit dry..." -- Dave Linnenbank would prob take that as a compliment :) [Bitwig guy, prob one of the manual authors]

I too am a manual-reader/learner, but I've not found decent books since before Bitwig v3, so you may have to suck it up and find the right videos I'm afraid*.

In saying that, Baphometrix (who does insanely detailed (v good) long vids) also has a nice doc 'The Bitwig Handbook'. More tips-like but good info:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XRd6Y_u8HuAo8PvnY4AzLMX7PoikIhUoqHM4ABgxumI/edit?usp=sharing

*Reference site for Bitwig: https://bitwig.community

Tips that have helped me (pretty obvious though):
    - find one or two courses by people that know their stuff. Like Mattias' masterclass and set aside a day to just get it done.
    - set playback to at least x1.25 and get used to it! :)
    - Have dual monitors? Set yourself up with vid on secondary while you either follow through on Bitwig, or even when doing something else, have the subs on if you really want to read.
    - you could try audiobook-style listening of these vids on bus/train. You'll find you pick up lots without needing to watch.
    - last one - in any way you can, ensure you keep going until the modulators make sense. It was the 'Ahaa!' moment I had where you realise how insanely powerful Bitwig can be. And you start experimenting from there.

Good luck,

A Bitwigger

9. clone

clone Audiosexual

it's maybe not profitable, but it's because of the low amount of users. It is still only v4.

But the Logic books by David Nahmani get new versions for even for minor update #s. And we are lucky to get them; they are very well done. It's not that books like these do not sell at all anymore. It also might be especially difficult to write, as far as DAWs go.

10. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

Thanks again some of those were informative.

11. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

I agree, I get a new book on every update of Logic, PT and DP, I guess Bitwig is not on the same scale. I’ll just wrap up with the manual and then experiment, I am probably going to treat it like an instrument than a DAW for a while, which is kind of a waste. I am not in a hurry and it’s going to take a while.

Thank you for the candid info.

12. Metrophage

Metrophage Newbie

+1 for Baphometrix, the text document is distilled from hours of her YouTube videos. Great for if you need "just the actual notes" from an involved dive. The vids are great too, some run long but are info-dense.

Also it's more basic navigation and usage than deep production tricks but the videos by Thavius Beck are solid, clear, and to the point without the BS. Tip - those videos were a lot cheaper to buy through the iPad App Store than elsewhere.

I think that why videos have taken over isn't only that young people read less, it's that technical information goes obsolete so quickly. If you're just releasing your book on Bitwig 4 (or whatever other software) now, your sales will tank in a few months once the next version is released. So it's a lot quicker, easier, and cheaper to shoot a few hours of video, edit it and put it online. Compared to editing and typesetting a book, getting the graphics and covers done, getting it published and printed, etc.