Are there any affordable midi XY pads?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Cav Emp, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

@ed-enam neat! looks a lot like the nanopad but better built (albeit more expensive). One of those two will end up being my choice. I guess it's up to what I end up wanting to spend. Gonna spend some time looking into this. As always, AS delivers with tons of good helpful people. Much appreciated, all of you

@subGENRE holy shit really? I just got an Xbox a couple months ago. What a cool thing to know!

2. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

I found it dirt cheap in a sale somewhere in France, just for £18 if I remember correctly + the cost of shipping was £6, paid a total of £24 instead of £56 without shipping charges. It's metallic (steel) build and other fine material used in pads etc makes it far far better than Nanopad and other in this price range IMHO. I recommend it if you find it cheap.

3. Sinnistar7

Sinnistar7 Ultrasonic

Hey Pinkman,
    I stumbled across your post here after getting TouchOSC going and beating my head against the wall trying to program an XY layout for the Kontakt library - Straylight. Do you have any tutorials or links that guide you through the design/programing steps for something like this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you!

4. NeverenoghFun

NeverenoghFun Platinum Record

I don't know if its viable in your circumstance. i.e. Using this to trigger actual midi.
    But I use my Tablets and Phone very often for different things of that sort.
    But as far as triggering real midi. mm iunno brah.
    +1 For Touch OSC Once you wrap your head around it, it's limitless possibilities.
    Another I've yet to try but lookis promising is called Lemur. Little more fancy.
    but touchosc... its where its at for this sort of thing.

5. NeverenoghFun

NeverenoghFun Platinum Record

There is a ton of tutorials online.
    And the app to create custom is pretty straight forward but start here.

6. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

I would go for TouchOsc too. I made a XY pad for SWAM engine, and it works like a charm.
    The only thing is that you need to create on the router a static IP address for the PC you're going to control, unless you want to check everytime the assigned IP.

7. tun

tun Rock Star

i was also going to suggest a korg nano pad. i have had one for years. the pads are absolute shit, but the XY pad has never let me down.

8. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

You can use the Thrill template and MIDI map that. It's really not hard to create your own template. Read the documentation.
    I have Lemur templates that would work. PM me if you have Lemur and want that.

9. Sinnistar7

Sinnistar7 Ultrasonic

@Pinkman
    PM'ed you

10. Gnarls Vane

Gnarls Vane Newbie

I was actually coming to this forum to ask the exact same question! I have a ton of midi gear and no shortage of pads or knobs so I was hoping to find a simple standalone XY pad without anything extra clutter to squeeze into my studio... Looks like this pretty much doesn't exist, huh? I suppose we can always just twist two knobs at once but what fun is that!? :snuffy: