Are the Akai Advance MIDI keyboards any good in 2023?

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by Bunford, Nov 20, 2023.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Been offered the 49 key version recently for £100 and I am looking for a new MIDI keyboard. Are they any good and still relevant in 2023? Is the VIP software still supported? Is it VST3?

3. real

real Kapellmeister

I own this keyboard.
    The VIP software does not support VST3. They have stopped supporting the VIP software for years now.

Personally, I found the VIP software to be clunky. Does it do what it says...yes, for VST2 plugins. It will find them all. You can technically control them all with your keyboard.

But to me, the VIP software and using the keyboard to pull up plugins just got in the way of making music.
    It was never faster or easier than just using my mouse and keyboard like normal. Actually, using the mouse and keyboard was faster and more convenient. Which defeats the purpose of the entire functionality that Akai was trying to sell you.

I still use the keyboard. It is a functioning midi keyboard. But I uninstalled the VIP software.

I also still use the air music software it came with. See if the person you're buying from is willing to transfer over the software. They used iLok for protection.

I paid $500 for this keyboard. $100 is about what its worth imo. You'll primarily use it as a basic midi keyboard. Without the software, that's what it is.

Save your money and get a NI Kontrol.