Are my mixes getting any better?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Brendan, Mar 25, 2022.

1. Brendan

Brendan Kapellmeister

Just wanted a general consensus on my RNB tracks. I'm trying to get a better balance overall, and "professional/polished" sound. You guys enjoyed some of my other tracks, and said I was sounding better than a producer I looked up to, which motivated me.

Before I publish this current mix, I'd just like to see if I'm heading in the right direction, or need to make some adjustments. I'm also trying to get better at rap/hip-hop tracks since they're low end heavy. But I think I just need to use more subtractive EQ, pick better samples, and be overall picky with sounds. One bad ingredient ruins the whole mix

As a comparison, these are some of my other tracks... or just look at the song above

https://www.youtube.com/user/numbersire/videos

3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

I assume the extreme dull sound is on purpose? If yes, I'm out for the most because I don't understand this. However, I'd like to mention some things:
    - the main pad is gone in mono
    - I'm missing a repetition of the vocals
    - the percussive sound at 0:58 (the second in the background) doesn't convince me
    - neither does the break sound at 1:17
    - the part at 2:15 should have an interesting addition

4. rudolph

rudolph Audiosexual

I think that Brendan is just one of the millions kids that think that having a laptop and cutting and pasting in a daw generic samples founded in the web will do the job of make them musicians and producers. Sorry son but I think you have nothing to offer except photos of girls in your great Legacy channel.

5. Brendan

Brendan Kapellmeister

I appreciate the feedback

I actually don't use samples although prefer constructive criticism such as "No Avenger", on where to improve a mix. I'd love to hear what you have to offer, and what constitutes as a groundbreaking track.

And if I have nothing to offer, you've at least given me motivation to improve.

I think this track needs a leading element, and well, maybe I'll scrap it. Make something more energetic.

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

There, answered your own question. I tend to think it's better to pick complimentary sounds- not just the *sound*, but its tone and timbre- in the first place than beat your head against a wall mixing something that might be, on some level, unmixable. If one if the elements that's screwing it all up is the basis of the song, or the thing you really like, keep it but ditch other things that fight it. You should generally be able to tell when you first add a new element if it actually fits, or if you're stuffing a round peg in a square hole. (Which you can actually do if the hole is big enough.)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
  7. clone

clone Audiosexual

to me it sounds like what you are struggling more with, is your cleaner midrange types of sounds. you have your reverb'd softer sounds pretty nice; all on the same send probably. your sub is pretty restrained, and it fits alright. you have a sax, upper tenor or low alto; it sounds like some rack version Emu mo'Phat Kenny G or something. it sounds very dated. There's another mid or two sound like it, like a pluck. The mix sounds ok, but they seem out of place anyway.

What Reverb are you using? You are using it quite a bit in your mixing. That could be an immediately improvable situation, probably...

Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
  8. Brendan

Brendan Kapellmeister

I'm mostly using Valhalla reverb along with native instruments Raum. I tend to overdo it with the reverb the create a spacey, ambient feeling but I think I might lessen it a bit and treat it like an effect, take it away and bring it back with automation from now on.

I always feel like my mixes lack that energy/drive. That really connects with, and holds the listeners attention. Starting to feel its the choice of chord progressions, structure, no strong leading elements, or vocal snippets to humanize a digital workspace.

9. Brendan

Brendan Kapellmeister

Decided to post another to this thread! I scrapped the other track for now... but also corrected all the issues @No Avenger stated!

Made this one over the weekend, still needs work. I love coming to this site for the insight everyone provides, I've learned a lot (and failed a lot). The community is helpful here and I love hearing people's finished product. Because at the end of the day, that's all that really matters. Finished music.

10. No Avenger

- claps are too agro and upfront
    - claps should be filtered at 1:00 and treated differently (than now) at 2:18
    - break at 1:38, nice idea but too short
    - the usage (cue) of the synths from 2:28 on doesn't convince me, arragement-wise. Why not keeping the synth after the break and add the one from 2:59 more early?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. MusikWannabe

MusikWannabe Newbie

All I wanted to say is that I f-ing love your track! For real, specially at 1:36, this takes me to another place. Take a listen to Pensees stuff and take them as a reference when mixing, specially "Rostov" :mates:

12. madbuzzin

madbuzzin Platinum Record

????havent you watched youtube tutorials, EVERYTHING is supposed to be bandpassed or high cut at about 8khz and low cut at about 500hz. thats just whats cool now bro. When I learned I could make all my tracks sound liek a corded phone from the 90s i was hooked and thats the only way I make my music. That technique AND sample packs

13. slowpoke

slowpoke Kapellmeister

[​IMG]

14. B00nD0ggie

B00nD0ggie Kapellmeister

Apart from what Avenger said, I think that kick is a bit strong and pretty dull, "tubby" is the sound I'm hearing. Give it more transient (if its sample, just tighten the decay to about 120 ms and lower the sustain to about -24 d)some saturation to get those harmonics going. And, musically, there's really not a lot going on, so the whole track stays... flat... just awash with pads.

15. slowpoke

slowpoke Kapellmeister

If I were you i'd concentrate on making music you want to hear and don't worry about anyone else. If you're meant to be doing this, it'll work. I just make music for me, and it's brilliant - in my opinion :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. No Avenger

Sorry, my fault. :rofl: