Are budget keyboards any good as a midi controller?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Banesatis, Mar 1, 2022.

1. Banesatis

Banesatis Member

After asking around about midi keyboards i wonder about the keybeds of cheaper keyboards/digitalpianos

Anyone know about the quality of cheaper Casio and Yamaha keyboards? The sounds and speakers wouldn't matter to me because i would only use it for MIDI.

Maybe some recommendations if that's a viable option?

Oh and im really enjoying this forum, glad that i found it!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2022
  3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

The cheap offer is aimed at beginners and children, for so little money there is no quality.

Used things are used and you never know how the previous owner played and treated his instrument.
    At some point the keyboard breaks and the repair is usually more expensive than a new master keyboard.
    You can be lucky or unlucky. You can also break e solder joints and then you search forever for the fault.
    Musical instruments were still as cheap as they are today. Thanks to low labor wages in the Far East.

Good keyboard on the e-piano: What matters in the keyboard test
    https://www-e--piano--test-com.tran...l=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=de&_x_tr_pto=wapp
    Gute Tastatur beim E-Piano: Worauf es beim Tastatur Test ankommt (Original Sour in german languag)
    /www.e-piano-test.com/gute-tastatur-beim-e-piano/

4. D#RK M#TT#RS

D#RK M#TT#RS Ultrasonic

Some cheap keyboards don’t come with a usb midi connection & might not have drum pads or knobs. For midi recording I would recommend midi controller.

5. Olaf

Olaf Platinum Record

Since Yamaha scrubbed touch-sensitive keys from their PSR 200 series some years ago, you would have to go up to a 300 series device for reasonable keys. It's similar with Casio. Besides, the cheaper models usually don't have any MIDI I/O.
    If you don't need synth and speakers, why do you want to pay extra for synth and speakers? :dunno:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Benno de Bruin

Benno de Bruin Kapellmeister

How much are you willing to spend?
    How many keys?
    Do you need semi weighted or GH/GHS/GH3 action?
    Do you need (polyphonic) aftertouch?
    Do you need wheels or ribbons for PB and Mod?
    Do you need XY control?
    Do you need pads, faders, knobs, (DAW)transport buttons?

It sounds like you need a decent midi (master)keyboard, like:
    M-Audio Oxygen Pro
    Novation Launchkey MK3 edit: i meant Novation Impulse 61
    NI Komplete Kontrol A.. (with free Komplete Kontrol Select)

7. Banesatis

Banesatis Member

For example: Yamaha Np-32
    Actually i've been thinking about both m-audio oxygen pro 61 and NI Komplete Kontrol A61.
    Which of these do you recommend? And are you by any chance familiar with nektar impact gxp88 ?

8. Benno de Bruin

It's personal, i'd never choose the NI because AFAIK it has no aftertouch. But if that's not important to you i'd advice you to try them both and see which action suits you most. The NI comes with Komplete Select, if that might interest you. the M-Audio has more midi control and a larger display.

The Novation and Arturia KeyLab MKII seem more sturdy to me, but i don't like the action of Arturia keys, they're too stiff for me. Some prefer that however.

The Nektar is utter garbage, el cheapo action, flimsy rambling keys and imprecise velocity, you'd be better off with a Yamaha P45 with its GHS action.

If you barely play any keyboards, none of the action arguments matter.

9. Banesatis

Banesatis Member

By novation do you mean the launchkey mk3 or the impulse 61 ?
    The launchkey is synth-aciton, right ?

10. Benno de Bruin

Yes i mixed them up, i'm talking about the Novation Impulse 61.

11. Banesatis

Banesatis Member

Out of the ones I'm interested in, it's the most expensive one. Is the keybed good ?

12. GammaStar

GammaStar Platinum Record

These have a good keybed
    [​IMG]

13. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

I have the Studiologic SL88 Studio. Under 400€, sorta affordable and really good
    Is that even important with non or semi weighted keys? My only concern would be if they are durable or not, I had keys breaking off cheap midi keyboards when I played in drums

14. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Novation Impulse 61 - User Review:
    www.thomann.de/de/novation_impulse_61.htm

Good product with weaknesses

Anonymous 05/24/2014
    normally I do not write reviews. But here but times.....
    about the product:

- Looks ok. all plastic though but everything works on replacement, tasster and pots do what they are supposed to.
    - The keyboard is ok for a keyboard, BUT the keys are 1cm shorter than normal piano keys, which takes some getting used to from the lever. You can control synths with it, piano I strongly advise against it.
    - then Automap: I had once used an earlier version... a disaster and let it be. was now skeptical. but everything runs without problems!!!!
    - and midilearn is ingeniously simple.
    For the price you get a good part! and with Automap (hopefully it runs with others too) you have a software that makes your life extremely easy.
    update... who can play with the keys really well.... not me... so controller good... and to play synthparts... otherwise rather not.... some kids keyboards have better keys than this part...
    update: USB is extremely wobbly and cheaply made

M-Audio Oxygen Pro 61 - 237 €

- 61 velocity-sensitive semi-weighted keys with aftertouch and assignable zones
    www.m-audio.com/oxygen-pro-61

User Reviews:
    1.) The workmanship is above average in this price range from my point of view. The weighted new keyboard is, at least for me as a hobby player, super successful. The weighted keys give the player a good feedback and above all: Nothing rattles!

2.) after my long search for the perfect controller for me, I ended up with the new Oxygen Pro. First and foremost the keyboard was important to me and especially this is really outstanding for a controller. A nice weighting, no rattling, aftertouch but also the other controls like faders, pads and buttons feel very high quality.

www.thomann.de/de/m_audio_oxygen_pro_61.htm

Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
  15. clone

clone Audiosexual

I have heard such mixed reviews on their controllers, for as long as I can remember. People love them, but when they get started complaining it never seems to end. I consider one each time I get a new controller, and the reviews from owners usually scare me off. Replacement parts from Italy and backordered forever. etc.

16. Oneeyedstan

Oneeyedstan Platinum Record

17. Banesatis

Banesatis Member

18. clone

clone Audiosexual

it has no mod wheel.

19. flush with your foot

flush with your foot Platinum Record

i have Novation Impulse, happy with! no problems with Automap ! Win10 & Ableton.

20. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

I think they easily malfunction when you let dust slide past the keybed - I bought a set of swiffers just for avoiding that :D