Are all RAM quality equal?

Discussion in 'PC' started by dragonhill, Sep 30, 2017.

1. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

I've got a Asus K55A with i5 - CPU 3230M @ 2.60 Mhz, 2601Mhz 2 core running Win10 that needs:
    DDR3 PC3-12800 204pin CL=11 DDR3-1600 1.5V SODIMM

The MAX ram according to ASUS is 8G but then there is this video and other reports that 16G will work.

Most name brand 8G x 2 RAM sets sell for around $120.
    I can save $40 with this Ebay seller with Blaze Memory Brand for:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/16GB-2x-8GB...330598&hash=item3a89d6067b:g:QL0AAOxydyxSO9ya

Are cheap RAM kinda like Behringer products? As long as it works when you first turn it on, things should be fine?

My goal is to be able to load a few more plugins before I have to move the buffer setting above 64 for tracking. I hope the CPU doesn't hold me back even though I upgrade to 8 or 16G?

3. saltwater

saltwater Guest

are you sure you rune out of memory?
    intel lists this cpu up to 32 GB but its always a lottery with ram
    finding a way to try them out is the best solution, hmm

4. KidPix

KidPix Producer

5. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro Staff Member

It's better to trust actual RAM manufacturers and not rebrands.
    Hynix, Nanya, Samsung, Micron are all manufacturers of the chips. Kingston and Corsair are for most cases rebrands.
    I personally prefer Hynix and Micron chips above everything else. I haven't seen one Micron faulty, unless it was physically damaged.

3320M will work with 16GB RAM no problem :yes:, just make sure you use DDR3L-1600 to utilize extra voltage advantage (could be used as headroom for OC), but of course, regular 1600MHz DDR3 will work just as fine.

6. Richard A Ruiz

Richard A Ruiz Noisemaker

Memory is memory, just have a lot. The bus speed won't be noticeable in real world applications.

7. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I should have 16G hopefully tomorrow. I went with the cheapest DDR3L

8. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro Staff Member

You could also upgrade the CPU. i5-3230M is a socketed Ivy. If you could find i7-3632QM (quad-core), that'd surely boost its performance.

9. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List