Apple to automatically upgrade Sierra on Macs

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Fudsey Plange, Oct 4, 2016.

2. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

You still have to agree to the Install even if you have automatic updates checked.

It's bad mojo that they are eating your bandwidth and the space on your local media, but its not quite the same thing as waking up to a new Operating System.

If you click [YES] and [I AGREE] so be it.

"
    – you have to have automatic updates enabled and the storage space to take it, and you have to explicitly agree to the installation –
    "

3. sham69

sham69 Ultrasonic

This is basic stuff,
    First thing to do after a fresh OSX installation : deactivate the auto update & co in System Pref,

same thing goes for Windows, and I guess any OS.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. nycdl

nycdl Kapellmeister

agreed with sham69 very easy to turn this off .. although i think it's yet another strike for apple .. to say they've changed in 5 years is an understatement, not for the better.

5. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

That would be "update," not "upgrade."

6. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

the hardware is still great
    but the software on the later so called "bigger" updates hasn't meant shit for audio or video.

its a pity because there is no any other company making the kind of fine hardware mac used to make, but if software is going to be a lot of compromises , then its all going down the drain im afraid

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  7. muaB

muaB Producer

forced update.

sounds like nsa

8. phenomboy

phenomboy Producer

This is not "windows 10 forced" kind of thing, as said above you still have to agree in order for it to install. I was prompted to do so yesterday, i just checked compatibility issues with my installed stuff and decided to not install it.

9. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

it's pretty annoying I imagine... I have a similar problem with my iPhone... I have stayed on iOS 9.3.3 for jailbreaking purposes, and for 2 weeks, every damn day, the phone would download the 9.3.4/5 updates and tell me it was going to update it at night unless I opted out, and I believe I had to delete the update locally from the device. If I had data caps where I lived I would be pissed, because everyday it was downloading a 1/4 gig update.... stopped doing it a few weeks ago, perhaps apple got the message that users were sick of getting pushed gigabytes of data they didn't want.... I use apple products, but I really hate their new aggressive OS updates on all platforms, as I need none of the functionality they provide.. I don't need their "help" in getting them, and well,.... you know..

10. Bunty_19

Bunty_19 Member

OK, I've kept my little snitch awake... just incase..

11. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

So far as I can tell, this is not the case at all. I'm on the latest version of El Capitan, and the only Sierra-related thing I've seen was a notification that it was available at the Apple Store a few days ago. I'm not updating to Sierra for a while.

Edit: Two things were massively wrong with my above statement.

One: at some point before I typed it, when I got the notification that Sierra was available at the Apple Store, I assume, a 4.7 GB installer for Sierra got downloaded into my Application folder without my knowledge or permission. That's kind of scary. Thankfully, it didn't just go ahead and install itself.

Two: After thinking about it, and after doing a full TM backup, I went ahead and upgraded. So far, the only major problems I saw were, Quicken Essential and Growl are identified as Incompatible software. I had to upgrade to Quicken 2017, and as far as Growl is concerned ... who the hell is using Growl anymore (especially now that you have to pay for it)? Anybody with Techtool Pro 8 is also screwed, since Micromat is advising not to use 8 with Sierra, and not to use 9 until they release 9.0.2, which could be a few more weeks. I haven't checked out the music side of things yet, but Avid's AppManager seems to be working okay. So far.

Edit #2: I decided to roll back to El Capitan for the time being, instead of waiting it out until the OS and the devs affected by the update got their act together. Right now, there's no advantage for me to upgrade, especially since I don't own an iPhone or an Apple Watch, and since I don't need Siri on my computer. There's honestly little difference between Sierra and El Capitan, aside from yet more software suddenly becoming obsolete.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  12. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

Little Snitch to the rescue haha xD