Apple Silicon M1,M2,M3 Pro,MAx,Ultra Compatibilty n incompabilities

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by Mauwurf, May 11, 2024.

1. Mauwurf

Mauwurf Noisemaker

Hello dear Apple Silicon users and music creators here.

I'm starting this entry here because I think it's necessary to discuss the compatibilities and incompatibilities of DAws and all the FX and instrument plugins that are available on the sister site, so that we can tell each other here what works and what doesn't work.
    This refers to the various combinations of DAW and the plugins used.
    I would like to use this to bring some light into the darkness of the ARM64 /Rosetta X86_64 world with your help.

I currently use an M3Max myself.

I have been using an Intel HAckintosh for the last 5 years.
    Pretty much everything that was available here on the sister site ran and still runs.
    Now, with the switch to Apple Silicon, things are a little different.
    I would like to start with the chapter Omnisphere 2.8.6c.

I have to say that I have just installed everything from Spectrasonics except for Stylus RMX.
    I am currently using Cubase 13.0.30 as my main DaW
    Everything was and is running excellently until I responded to a comment from another user
    in the Omnisphere 2.8.6c thread on the sister site.
    He wrote that he had problems with Omnisphere in combination with the DAW Ableton 12. That it crashes all the time etc.
    I then took care of this and tested it.
    I was then able to reproduce his errors.

In the meantime, an Ableton 11.3.25 HCISO version was released, which I tested straight away.
    Ableton crashed after about 5 minutes.
    I then tried the VST3 version, then the AU version, then in Rosetta mode and in Native mode. With different results.
    But all ended in crashes.

Not usable.

This thread is intended for the exchange of knowledge and experience. To get to the bottom of why some combinations work wonderfully in NAtive mode and others crash immediately. Which then makes it unusable.
    I still have 1 example:

Groove Agent 5.2.0 runs as VST3 NAtive in Native Cubase 13.

But not as AU in Logic 10.8.1 which I also use.
    But then again the AU version NAtive runs in ABleton 11.
    I just want to know more about the various incompatibilities that this architecture change has brought with it.
    As always, never change a running system ;-)
    But this has to happen first in the Apple Silicon world.
    Now all of you who would like to contribute are welcome to share your knowledge and experience here.
    Here's to making good music together.
    Cheers.

Translated with DeepL Translator (free version)

3. sisyphus

sisyphus Audiosexual

I can't imagine what might possibly go wrong with using stuff from the sister site (and people using a lot of Moira ones at that), with apple silicon and the growing pains. :no:

Not to say legit stuff has been smooth, and people are waiting for a lot of things... and some devs have simply gone due to pandemic/other circumstances/disinterest/non-profitablity etc.

I would like it if releasers were clear about what was UB2 or not, which can still be vague, and I would hope that larger devs that still operate would not put their fingers in their ears when told about clear and present problems/bugs in their products.

I too went from fully functioning 5,1 Mac Pro towers to an M3 Max of late. I'm dealing with other stuff, but sure, I knew I would be leaving a lot in the past, and I would have some issues, and I knew what I was getting into.

I don't like changing machines, and why I usually have a duplicate system of what I am using, and I put this move off for as long as I could... but I needed a new computer, and it was time to embrace what is coming and what is here now. And I felt with the M3 Max chip that the tech was matured enough, that sure, there was no way in hell I was going with an intel machine on macOS with a new machine ffs.

I'm all for delineating issues and problems people have though, as I do think this site can be bad at being clear in their comments whether they are on Ventura/Sonoma intel or Apple Silicon, and it does make a big difference with releases there, and in the fair and plain world.

And I never want to use rosetta unless I have to on the new system.

But I've also taken this exercise to realize what it is I really need and use and fuck the rest.

I didn't need 90% of the bullshit I had on my other systems. And they are still there for legacy project and whatnot, but I'm not going back to that well, ... and quite simply, I could care less or give a shit.

4. clone

clone Audiosexual

the biggest problem with all of this stuff is caused by users who open the DAW, and get something they like going, while using warez. Then, they save the project and go to re-open it, and sure enough some plugin is not working. They think because something is fine today, it will be next week. Developers are getting very good at hiding time-bombs and other action/condition triggered events. R2R has even had some releases stop working. The developers realize simply "phoning home" is not causing many non-legit users as many problems as they would like. So they are now "tricky" with protections. Some of these things are just very annoying "bug-like" behaviors. Some can fully de-auth the software.

Serum and Synplant2 were the first recent titles to really evade the releasers multiple times, with different strange behaviors. Just like users share information, so do developers.

The problem is losing work. You can always get into your DAW by starting it up with plugins disabled. Then you can get to your plugin manager and disable any plugins that have errors. But your work inside that plugin is still gone. If you do not trust the plugin on the channel to be working tomorrow, print your work to audio today. You can always just mute and hide it.

Just like a synth, do you sell the old one when you get a new one? If you do not have fast wifi, buy an ethernet cable.

5. Ariel Gonzalez

Ariel Gonzalez Platinum Record

i think situations like this is one of the reasons to keep an old intel machine running (and why also big studios or pros with a big client folder, still have old machines running), at least until the safety of the plugins is ensured to some degree.
    this is cause, outside of the timebombs, a lot of devs have to integrate a whole lot of code into their plugins, since they have to create them to be multi-architecture and multi operating systems, and that leads to a whole lot of unstable or bordeline unusable material.
    my personal advice would be to combine legit and warez stuff and to keep an intel machine goingn. alongside that, it is a good thing to follow clone's advice and render the audio from the plugins and then mix everything on apple sillicon

6. Mauwurf

Mauwurf Noisemaker

Good Morning:

I did another Testround:

System is AppleSilicon M3
    Daws used and Tested in Native Mode:/ Logic / Cubase 13.0.30

Tested Plugins from the LAst Plugin Releases on SisterSite (arm_64 native Mode)

Plugin Alliance bx_clipper v1.0.1 U2B Mac

iZotope Ozone 11 Advanced v11.0.1 U2B macOS

Plugin Alliance TOMO Audiolabs LISA v1.2.1 U2B Mac

Plugin Alliance Brainworx bx_glue v1.0.0 U2B Mac

---> After fixing: it runs now fine in all Daws i listed Above.

I will Edit this Post from Time to Time.

Ableton 12.0.2 HCISO Version makes still Problems in Native Mode.

It doesnt matter which Plugin i use. If the Project is Playing and then i switch between Plugins loading the GUI. Ableton then Crashes.

Last edited: May 12, 2024
  7. Choosename

Choosename Platinum Record

Sorry @Mauwurf but this is not worth it, you are gonna get crazy with all the stuff. Unless you wanna get mad, forget this list... Just try before buy. And don't forget to make music!