Apple shutting off your audio gear...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tzzsmk, Dec 13, 2023.

1. Thotu

Thotu Ultrasonic

I hate them for their policies. They have created a elitist kind of atmosphere around their products. They sell the products at very inflated price and they can do it because there are always some fools willing to buy it at that price.

Yeah, they sell a 'monitor stand' for '1000 dollars'. :disco:

2. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

$1000 bucks for a color graded & calibrated monitor isn't expensive. ASUS ProArt Display PA32UCX-PK 32 is around $3200.

Different tools for different people.

Firewire has always had great clocking but it's time is done for new machines I guess. It's sad to see the universal binary go away but I am assuming they figured it wasn't worth the a re-optimization of the base code so they chucked it.

As far as Kext vs Sysext with new USBC and TB4 latency in the single millisecond range and even AVB now in teens it's a "meh" but it does feel like regression never the less.

Apple it seems is thinking of drivers as a penetration point, but even more so they seem to want to isolate their kernel from probing at some point to deter a breed of hackintosh. Apple's new chips run the kernel in a different mode (SupMode) than GUI and Applications (UsrMode), they seem intent on doing their own thing in that memory space and making it as thin as possible, and as resistant to injection as possible.

All technology focused companies will kill off shit at one point or an other, I remember when Yamaha killed mLan for Nuage. I remember parallel port dot matrix printers, RS-232 connectors, monochrome monitors, amazing 16 color monitors, Wordstar on floppy disk and though I was a child at the time I remember using a modem where you had to put a phone handle into cups after you heard the connection beeps to get to a remote computer/BBS.

If you have something you love or you can't live without just remember that you need not ever change it, upgrade it, or modify it. My father kept an old mini computer running almost 30 years till he retired because he wrote a program Haskell for some proprietary material and xray diffraction/density of plastics that he didn't want to ever rewrite. When he retired in the early 2010s the guy that took over from him kept the using that old DEC and it might still be running today.

If you want to be on the bleeding edge and have the newest shit all the time, then do what you want with you money but FFS why all the whining and crying about how other people spend their money.

I am certain the people you want to protect really appreciate it, but I suggest you at least try to get them to pay you first before giving out all that good advice away for free.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. boingy99

boingy99 Kapellmeister

Truth!

Apple have never been shy of dumping support for hardware earlier than many folks would like. I'm old and I remember them getting rid of the floppy drive at a point where almost everything was floppy-based. Dumping support for legacy stuff is one way to make your product development simpler but it does risk pissing off your customers.

4. Thotu

Thotu Ultrasonic

It is not a monitor, it is 'Monitor Stand'...:rofl:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MWUG2LL/A/pro-stand

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

Even better.

While it's not for me, it is there for those who feel they need it. LV sells wallets for that much and people seem happy enough to buy them.

I've seen and been around enough guys/gals that drive their McLaren and Prosche GTs to work sitting in them for hours in city traffic at an average speed of 12 miles per hour to even question how some people want to spend their money. If it makes sense to them and they feel they need it, more power to them.

6. Thotu

Thotu Ultrasonic

I was genuinely batting for the consumers. It's pity to see the Mac guys begging at Acustica Audio forum to reduce the size of the plugins because Apple charges a ton for extra SSD. And with Porsche examples above, you just proved my point, how Apple manages to sell at inflated price.

7. trrtac

trrtac Member

apple main income was/is from iphones, so they will shape all ecosystem to fit that planned obsolescence model.

8. krameri

krameri Platinum Record

You sound bitter.

9. Nik Olsen

Nik Olsen Newbie

Don't try to make out this is anything new or purely down to the 'evil empire' of Apple. Microsoft did the same years ago when they went to 64bit. All my Maudio equipment had support dropped and I had to backdate my OS for a while until I could afford new gear.

ALL companies build in obsolescence in their equipment, whether it's computers, cars, games, mechanical equipment....it all has a limited use period otherwise these companies would go out of business. I dont agree with it but I understand why they do it. Personally it does annoy me, more so on the software / apps front as you think you are buying a product but in reality you are buying a limited license and they can drop support in a heartbeat. Ive just had it with my Jaguar car which is 5 years old and they are already dropping features from the App integration. Car is barely out of warranty.

As for the Firewire support. I have an MOTU 828mk3 which is working quite nicely with my M2 using Sonoma. Not natively as I had to use a bit of a hack that someone much cleverer than me on a forum figured out. But I now lock updating just in case, but I also have an OS install USB in case I need to revert back to an old state.

But again this has been going on since technology started taking over our lives, I wanted to buy the latest Bond Movie on laserdisc but apparently they stopped making them in 2009..so annoying will have to revert to my Betamax instead.

10. Zoketula

Zoketula Guest

Yep and I believe more recently they are speeding up the product cycle to keep the stockholders happy, before announcing layoffs or getting another CEO which would be bad PR.

11. Dr. Black

Dr. Black Producer

Rule #1
    Never EVER have your DAW connected to the Internet.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  12. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

backup all the software you own. backup all the drivers for all your hardware. making multiple backup copies.
    I have drivers for every laptop I own, in case I need to reinstall the o/s. I have a folder on my storage drive for every piece of equipment in my studio, there is a folder by make and model, in the subfolders are all the manuals in .pdf, all the drivers and any online notes i've copied and printed as pdfs.

on older hardware the manufacturers are acquired by other megacorps, support sites disappear, drivers are lost, knowledge and faqs are lost. Archive it before it disappears.

Keep your production machines off the internet. it makes it harder to lose focus on the task at hand by removing distractions and makes your machine more robust as less background shit is running and downloading shit in the background. Also much safer.

You own your hardware, you own your software despite them telling you its a "license" just legal bullshit to rape you.
    don't allow them to manipulate what you own.
    develop a useful workflow and only change it when something is soooooooo stupendous you simply must use it.
    don't fall for the marketing bs and upgrade everytime there is a point zero zero 1 software upgrade.

if you are going to work in the software domain, be smart, be cautious and be sure you have lots of backups.
    storage is cheap and recovery is difficult without it.

13. RajuPalliBabu

RajuPalliBabu Ultrasonic

I just dont install this new apple sodoma gomorra and no problem

14. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

the nice thing about older equipment is its cheaper to get backup units, in case they fail as so many are on the treadmill of must have the most modern thing, that the prices are quite reasonable. I use a 10 year old drum machine, it was 25$ used. and with a a backup unit, i don't have to learn a new process if it fails or breaks,. truly plug and play.